Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #1  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Post 5 Truths About Low-Carb Diets

I saw this article on CarbLoversdiet.com on how low carb diets don't work, I totally disagree on these points. Of course a carb lovers website is going to bash low carb diets lol...

1. Dont work

2.Make you feel sad and stressed!

3.Make you fatter, not thinner!

4.Ae not sustainable!

5.Bloat your belly!

6.Make you feel deprived!

any thoughts?
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #2  
Here I go again

Actually they have 6 points not 5 lol
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #3  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

That is ridiculous!

How about 5 reasons why high carb diets don't work:

1. The more you eat, the hungrier you get

2. Cause high blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides

3. Major cause of heart disease

4. Cause type 2 diabetes

5. Make you gain fat, not lose it, unless you are on a high carb starvation diet.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For most of my life, I believed all of these points, which is why I never gave carb-restricted diets a chance. Turns out it's the only way I've been able to acheive sustainable weight loss.

When my current doctor recommended low-carb dieting a few years ago, I was shocked. He'd said that some relatively new research suggests that people with IR and other blood sugar issues lost weight better on low-carb, but he warned that I shouldn't go "too low" (though admitted he didn't know how low was too low). It took a second opinion from a doctor (who with her husband) each lost about 100 lbs on a modified Atkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoopRN View Post
1. Dont work
Hm, I guess my husband and I have imagined our weight loss. That's too bad. I'll have to break the news to all the friends and family who've complimented my husband and I on our weight loss. Apparently they're harboring the same delusion.

Quote:
2.Make you feel sad and stressed!
I guess I'm also imagining the stress relief I'm experiencing. Here I thought it was high-carb diets that left me sad and stressed because they left me starving no matter how much I ate.

I must also be imagining the symptom relief I get from my arthritis, fibromyalgia, autoimmune respiratory illness, rosacea, and seborrheic dermatitis and other skin issues. I guess my husband is imagining it too (he also must be psychic too, as there's no other explanation for the fact that he can tell by my mood and complexion if I've eaten wheat or have had a very high carb day).

Quote:
3.Make you fatter, not thinner!
I've been on thousands of diets, and I am convinced that most did more to make me fatter than thinner, but of the thousands of diets I've been on, fewer than 10 (probably more like 5) have been low-carb.

I agree that low-carb plans that are outrageously low in carbs (allowing no vegetables - though there are very few low-carb diets that do this) isn't sustainable (and those were the handful of plans I quit).

My current plan is moderately low-carb, and I've never kept up so long a losing "streak" nor have ever lost this much weight (my record before this was 70 lbs as a teenager While I was on prescription amphetamine diet pills).

Quote:
4.A[r]e not sustainable!
Again I must be imagining things, because this is the only food plan that I've ever been able to stick with for more than two years. Sure I make mistakes, and if you mean "must be perfectly on plan without a single, solitary mistake" I'd point out that makes every single "diet" unsustainable.

When I assumed I needed high carb treats like cakes and cookies, at least occasionally, then low-carb was very unsustainable. But now I find that I'm allergic to wheat (to the point that if I eat more than a few bites of a wheat product, I get a rash my husband refers to as "face rot."). So I can't eat breads, cakes, and cookes anyway (unless I want to pay ten times as much for products that don't even taste 1/10th as good).

I think a diet is only unsustainable when you believe it is unsustainable (in other a words, you really have never had any intention of sticking with the plan forever)

Quote:
5.Bloat your belly!
WTF? Really? I've never heard of anyone on low-carb experiencing this. Just the opposite. On very low-carb diets, people tend to retain the least amount of water. To the point that the only luck I've ever had with minimizing pms/tom water gain and bloating is to eat super low-carb. So low-carb to the point that I know I'm going to see a tiny gain when I return to eating my normal moderately-low carb. The more carbs you eat, the more water your body needs to digest them. That doesn't mean you have to or should reduce carbs to zero, but I've never heard of anyone "bloating" from carb restriction. From excess carbs, yes, but not from low-carb.

Quote:
6.Make you feel deprived!
No, what makes me feel deprived is eating high-carb foods. For me carbs literally have an addiction-like property. Much like alcoholics who say "one drink is too many, and a thousand isn't enough."

I do make mistakes. I think, "Ooh that chocolate looks so good, I'll just have a little bite. I deserve to have a treat, I've been on plan so long," and after that tiny bite, I suddenly feel mentally, emotionally, and physically deprived. MY IQ drops and I feel like the cookie (carb) monster, "ME WANT COOKIE... ME WANT CANDY, ME WANT POUNDS OF MASHED POTATOES, GIMME starch, GIMME SUGAR..."

When I eat high-carb long enough, nothing tastes sweet enough. FRUIT isn't sweet enough, - vegetables like peas and beets don't taste sweet at all. Tasting sweet is like tasting salt. The more you eat, the more habituated you get. It takes more and more to reach the same flavor level. Likewise, the less you eat, the more sensitive you become to the flavor.

Processed foods tend to be high in fat, salt, and sugar, all of which are desensitizing to the taste buds (the more you have, the more you want and need, the less you taste them). The combination is also addictive. Eating processed foods desensitizes your tastebuds to the point that healthy food tastes bland and flavorless, sour and bitter - Vegetables taste like dirt, fruit tastes sour, lean meats taste like cardboard.

When you don't eat processed foods, natural foods that you remember as "bland" suddenly have a more intense and interesting flavor. You notice subtle flavor distinctions you couldn't taste before, because sugar, fat, and salt were overpowering your tastebuds.

I think this is exactly like #4. If you expect to feel deprived you will feel deprived. If you dwell on what you can't, shouldn't, or don't have, you will feel deprived. Feeling deprived is a choice. You can cry, whine, complain, and mourn what you don't have in your life, you can feel deprived. You can even feel deprived if you mourn things that hurt you. Wheat hurts me. It gives me a nasty rash that if left untreated or if more wheat is consumed, my face will become red (fuschia to ruby), swollen, and horribly, intensely itchy/painful. The skin will ooze yellowish clear liquid that cursts over (imagine poison ivy on top of sunburn. The pain/itch is so maddening it takes all my strength when I'm awake not to claw a tit, and I'll wake up with blood on my pillow because I did claw at it in my sleep.

Now do I feel deprived because I can't have a piece of normal cake once in a while?

Sadly yes. But I get over it quickly when I realize that the absence of "face rot," is well worth giving up chocolate cake (Yes, I know you can find wheat-free chocolate cake, but giving it up is easier than finding a good one).

Carbs in general are much the same. I can choose to eat high-carb any time I want to, but I have to suffer the consequences - more hunger, health issue symptoms if I overindulge - and the risk of my inner carb-addicted idiot raising her (literally) ugly head with a raging desire for MORE, MORE, MORE.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-07-2011 at 06:24 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I disagree..sad and stressed on low carb diets?? uh.. no..how bout energetic and happy? thats how i feel..and less mood swings..

How bout control your blood sugar and eliminates the desire to binge and eat sweets all the time?

How bout reduces and slims that tummy of yours that gets bloated from eating too much bread nad pasta all the time.?

a low carb diet has done everything a high carb and low fat diet hasnt done for me.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
That is ridiculous!

How about 5 reasons why high carb diets don't work:

1. The more you eat, the hungrier you get

2. Cause high blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides

3. Major cause of heart disease

4. Cause type 2 diabetes

5. Make you gain fat, not lose it, unless you are on a high carb starvation diet.
+1!!! And might I add that that eating low carb has fixed my belly bloat = amazingly so!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #7  
Here I go again

Here is the actual link for those of u interested

http://carblovers.com/health/carblov...w-Carb%20Diets
Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

The truth of the matter is that whatever you can stick to, and do stick to, will work. Does a reduced sugar diet help reduce inflammation and blood sugar issues? yes. Is it for everyone? no.
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I have experienced pretty much the reverse:

Has worked- 81 pounds of proof...

Not sad and stressed at all- I can't remember a time when I have felt happier.

Have gotten thinner... so far from size 28 to size 16.

Totally sustainable and in actuality I don't even like the taste of pasta and rice anymore. This week I tried a bite of pasta and I had to spit it out. I don't plan on every reintroducing pasta and rice into my diet.

I feel as though carbs bloat my belly and retain water. So not worth it!

The only thing I feel deprived of is chocolate and pizza... and I let myself have a bit every now and then!

Now- I take in approximately 100g net carbs- I don't know how much lower low carb diets go but I am perfectly content and pleased with my progress.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #10  
Divine

S/C/G: 375/290/175

Height: 5 foot 0 inches

I am on the diabetic diet plan where in 1800 calolric intake allows me to have 259 carbs a day in my diet. I have found that this carb counting has been the most beneficial to weight loss journey. I feel happy most of the time and my depression doesn't seem to be as bad. The only time I get bloated is when I drink a pepsi and thats bad for me. Usually my water weight comes when its PMS or TOM week.

So i think these truths are a bunch of crap.

Lynn
lynnie923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #11  

anti low-carb points are as stupid as the ones against saturated fat.
FitnessTo is offline   Reply With Quote