Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 05:07 AM   #1  
Meg

Default LWL #101! Week of May 5 - 11

Good morning, chickies! Hope no one minds that I started our new thread for the week. I didn't want to get lost in last week!

I can’t believe that somehow it got to be May and my yard is so green (partly with weeds — must get out there this week). So it’s time to plant my herb garden. It looks like the oregano has taken over the garden from last year and the chives and thyme are fine. This year, I’ll put in huge amounts of basil, rosemary, parsley, and some others, though fresh basil is my favorite. I think it smells like perfume — and I use it a lot in marinades.

Which reminds me of cooking — I have a cooking challenge for those of you who like to cook: marinara sauce, so simple but I can’t make a good one! Do any of you make a great spaghetti/marinara sauce? (I’m not talking necessarily diet friendly here, just good, though most aren’t too bad) I made one last night with crushed tomatoes (Muir Glen), fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, onion, little sugar, salt and pepper, but it still was missing … something?

I’m curious to hear the results of everyone’s programs — the CKD, 50/20/30, and all. That way I get ideas on what to try and what to skip. I’ll go first: on cranwater — I think it did help get rid of excess water but after that, it’s no different than ordinary water, so I think it’s good for bloating but not for every day. Last week I tried to stay between 1200 and 1400 calories and around 100g of carbs per day. Reviewing Fitday, I averaged 1358 calories and 120g of carbs per day for the week. My weight has varied from 137.4 down to 134.6 and is at 136 today, so the net result is 1.4#. This doesn’t mean a lot to me though because these are the pounds I am always playing with (I always seem to be between 134 and 137). One thing that may have affected this is that I did far less cardio than I would ordinarily due to bad life circumstances. So my plan for this week is to try the 1200 — 1400 calories again, really keep the carbs down to 100g or below, and an hour of cardio a day (which is what I typically would do). We’ll see if I can bust out of this weight range and move down to the lower 130s! I will report back next Monday.

Sel, I love my All-Clad! Since it is pricey, I keep adding a piece here and there. I have the LTD and use the non-stick fry and sauté pans, but the regular saucepans clean up so well too! My favorite is the 7 quart pasta pan with the colander insert — I use it for so many things besides pasta, like making chicken stock. I love making the perfect meal, too, and Friday nights are special nights for DH and me because it’s our time together. He’s too tired to go out after a long week, so I make a special dinner and we just sit and relax and drink wine and talk (well, he drinks the wine). It’s a nice way to reconnect. I often make something our of the ordinary and he loves Asian or pasta, so it’s frequently one of those. Asian noodles (and I have a cookbook by that name!) are the best, combining the two favorites! That’s why I was making Pad Thai last Friday, but it made enough for a small army.

Re baking and eating the batter or dough: I had a neighbor who ate half of a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and then drank a big Pepsi. Apparently the Pepsi reacted with the baking soda in the dough and gave her tremendous … problems!

Adriana — I hope the carpal tunnel is getting better. My trainer at the gym has developed it and wears a brace most of the time, especially at night, which seems to help.

Have a great day, all! Today is shoulder day — not my favorite, but I think I’m still skittish about re-injuring it.

Meg
Old 05-05-2003, 07:54 AM   #2  
Banned

Good Morning!

Meg, I start ABC's 13 week plan today. I'll be cycling 1903 calories for the first 3 weeks. Today will be my second lowest day at 1803 calories.

I'm about to head out the door for spinning...

Deb

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 05-05-2003 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Oh, count me in on the LWL Cook-a-Rama...I love to cook. I just got a rear quarter of organic beef in my freezer, so last night I cooked up a roast tenderloin in my new stone roaster. It was fabulous - so tender you didn't need a knife, fabulously lean. Our 5 year old son ate 3 big pieces himself.

Next weekend is the 10k fun run on Sunday, so I'm going to manipulate my workouts to get in a rest for my legs before then. Not that I'm a serious competitor by any means, but just want to give myself a sporting chance to finish in good form. (it can get pretty ugly by 9k for my runs).

I haven't been terribly clean this week on my eating, but got an email invitation to a university reunion the last week of June which we'll probably travel to - seems to be the motivation I was lacking. I really need to get rid of all the leftover Easter candy in the house!!!

Adriana, hiking in the desert sounds wonderful. We travelled to Eilat on holiday once, Israel is such a beautiful country.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

BethO
Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hello girls

Hope everyone is having a good Monday... I certainly am so far... I've gone to the gym squated an all time best of 165#... I just keep going up 10# at this rate... I'm cleaning the basement and the garage for a yard sale that some nuns are having at an old convent next week. So I'm getting rid of ALOT of junk... Does anyone have junk? Stupid question I know!!

Food wise I have been just downright aweful since last Thursday... So I'm back on track as of today....

Meg -- At least your scale fluctuates... Mine doesn't even do that... Maybe with the biking it will, who knows?!?!?...

Deb -- I was reading the 13 week fat burning plan and my gosh but it seems complicated... Am I missing something? Or reading too much into it? So for today I will stick with 1800 cals 50/30/20...

Later all, gotta go clean, clean, clean....
Old 05-05-2003, 10:29 AM   #5  
Peace with body and soul

Me too on the 13wk Program from ABCBodybuilding.com, but I have a few more calories to cycle. 2500 for me to be exact, which will be my higher level, initially I'm going to drop to between 2000 and 2200.

Going to be a toughie mainly because of my work schedule, but I'll do my best.

Hope all of your programs are going well on this rainy, horrid MOANday.

Meg, try adding some oregano to your sauce.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

morning ladies,

it is raining like crazy this morning. i did a tremendous workout yesterday. my gym offers circuit training on sundays for an hour. however, since there is not another class scheduled after that one, the instructor will sometimes let the class go long. Well, it went long yesterday to the tune of 45 additional minutes. We did cardio, kickboxing, laps out on the track, worked with free weights and dumbells, obstacles course work, you name it, we did it.

then i went home and cut and edged my lawn. my lawn mower is one of those old fashioned push mowers, no gas, no electricity, just human exertion. I LOVE IT and my son can help out without me worrying about him cutting off a toe or something.

my goals for this week are to get in ALL the protein I am supposed to take in, get in the cardio, and not let my kids schedules screw up my workout schedule. cheerleading practice for this fall has started and football practice will start next month. these take up a big chunk of my time so i will definitely have to plan better for both exercise and diet.

I will have to pass on the cook challenge as I am barely adequate in the kitchen. i would rather be outside playing dodge ball with the kids than in my kitchen making a meal. in fact that's what i did yesterday afternoon.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #7  

Good Morning,

Well, survived my trip down memory lane this weekend, but my disco days are over until I lose a few more pounds. Huffing and puffing on the dance floor after three songs is not a good thing.

Good news on the transformation front-measured myself and found that there have been some big changes: 2 inches off my bust, .5 inch off my waist, 1 inch off my hips and 1 inch off each thigh. It’s amazing how things work, because I only lost 7 lbs of scale weight during this challenge.

Meg, I too only purchase All-Clad on sale. They are pricey, but so well worth it. I own several pieces of their stainless steel collection: a braiser, Dutch oven and a chef pan as well as a few pieces from their LTD collection: a saucier and a small stockpot. I own other pots, but these five are my favorites and get used almost everyday.

As for the marinara sauce, I use 99% fat-free chicken or beef broth (Swanson or Butterball brands) as a base then add the tomatoes and seasoning. Otherwise it just tastes too bland and my husband complains. He's Trinidadian by birth and is under the impression that all food must be extremely spicy to taste good. He’s easy to please 99.9% of the time so I make it the way he likes. Though Mindi’s idea of adding oregano to your sauce is a really good one. I also love any kind of Asian food, Chinese, Indian, Japanese or Thai. My current goal is to find a really good, authentic Vietnamese restaurant.

Adriana, Hope your Carpal Tunnel is better.

Tika, I envy you. Apartment living is fine, but I really miss having a backyard to mow and relax in.

Ilene, , Congrats on your new PB in Squatting.

Betho, What is a stone roaster? Sounds interesting. Is it like the clay pot that East Indian’s use to cook Tandoori chicken in?

Well, off to do the laundry and then some work. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 05-05-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

HELP!! I HAVE BEEN ROBBED!!

some troll here at the office is eating my food. i am not the most organized person in the world so instead of trying to remember to bring in my fresh veggies everyday, i bring in enough for about a week or so. i went to make my salad at lunch and someone has been eating my lettuce. they put it back in the bag backwards and i guess they tore off more than they actually wanted so they folded the extra leaves up and stuck them in the bottom of the bag. i couldn't believe it.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:24 PM   #9  

Hey all

Tiki, how rude!! We have tons of food here in our fridge, and people don't touch each others food. Yikes!!

Meg - I would love to get my mits on some All-Clad!! I love the Food Network and I am so jealous of those chefs!! As for Marinara sauce, can't help you there.....I usually use the canned or jarred stuff. However, check Food's website they usually have a lot of great recipes.

Well, as for me, getting back on track with eating.....kinda had a lax weekend. BRx is going well though.......still struggling a bit with the protein intake though. But, all in all I like the plan

Robin
Old 05-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Goooooooooood morning

Finally we're having some decent weather here for a change. Another monsoon weekend which of course meant NO RIDING. Bummer! Oh well, we had to wait for the washer repairperson to show up anyways - and it WAS Kentucky Derby weekend. I rarely miss it, but Jim was just about burnt out on Derby stuff because I started out by watching the pre-race show on ESPN2, then turned to NBC for the Derby itself, THEN back to ESPN2 for the wrapup...the next morning the Travel Channel had a couple of Derby-based shows. So it was heaven for me on TV. (what surprised me though was that Travel Channel actually showed a breeding in progress...not something you'd want to kids to see, if you know what I mean...)

Meg and all you chefs - I hate to say that I have very little interest in cooking these days. I did break down this weekend and buy a new nonstick frypan at Safeway for $13.00. I like the cheapies - once the nonstick surface is toast, I just throw 'em out!

Tiki - AACKK! how dare someone eat your food?!? I was just in the freezer here at work getting ice, and noticed it was packed full of Jenny Craig's cuisine...hmmm...someone must have won the lottery or something... Personally, I've gotten really lazy about making and packing stuff. I'd just as soon go to the cafeteria or Safeway and pick up something, no big deal. Our cafe has chicken ceasar salad, premade with dressing on the side...I just pick out the croutons and do the old 'dip and stab' with my fork, so I get just a taste of dressing. A new lunch place just opened up next to our building too - called Baja Fresh (yummy). They have a HUGE "Baja Ensalada" which is your basic charbroiled chicken salad - I tell them to leave off the cheese and instead of using the dressing they provide in a cup, I just load up on the salsa at the salsa bar, get a side of pinto beans and mix everything together...yum yum...enough for TWO meals.

Gotta run...getting ready for tomorrow's early-am meeting...I have to be here at 6 AM TOMORROW so that means I'm waking up at 3 to work out!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 02:10 PM   #11  
Banned

Beth the 10k sounds great! I've never done a run, but keep thinkibng it would be fun!

Ilene, I think the 13 week plan sounds more complicated than it is. Once you sit down and figure out the meals it's not so bad. I'll have to alter the order of my meals a bit because of work. I'm using Method II to figure my calories. The other ways gave me more calories, but I wasn't sure what numbers to use. It doesn't say what ratio to use, but today I am at 49/25/25-that's because they want you to count Udo's.

Tiki, how awful that someone would steal your food!

I've been meaning to thank you for your comment in my journal the other day! I love that quote!

When my dad bought an electric mower, I refused to mow the lawn anymore! I like the push mowers, too!

We should get all these cooks to make our meals for us!

Sel, congrats on the progress!

Karen if you have to get up at 3 to workout, how much sleep are you getting? There's no way I could workout at that hour!

Same old stuff...

Over the weekend I got a rejection letter from my other job prospect.

I was washing my face this morning when I noticed something in the sink-my contact case with one compartment open. How it got there I don't know; I had put it in the medicine cabinet. One very expensive contact down the drain. I need new ones anyway, but with no insurance it's not going to be easy. Rather than replace the one that got lost I am going to get new ones-hopefully I'll be able to see better out of the new ones. This is likely to cost $400-500.

My boss is supposed to give me more hours. If not this week, it should be on the schedule for next week. If not, I will have to complain again. They're supposed to be training me to open and be full time, but my hours are next to nothing. That won't pay the bills.

I work til 9:15 tonight!

Deb
Old 05-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Deb - Bummer! That's happened to me - the contact lens down the drain thing. Actually I have not worn my contacts since January - glasses are so much easier (I'm also hoping that my corneas get a bit thicker so I can get the laser eye surgery - we have a great vision plan here and my company pays a good portion of the surgery fee).

I'll be going to bed right after Seinfeld (8:00 pm). I've done the 3 am thing before, that's actually the time that Sparky first wakes me up anyway every morning with his meeowwwing request for fresh food!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Eye candy!!!

Just a little May eye candy...saw this posted at one of my equine boards and couldn't resist (even with the misspelled last name).

Nice stallion huh?!?

(Okay I confess...I'm a Patrick Swayze fan...how could you resist a guy who is incredibly graceful, looks to die for, and loves Arabian horses to boot?!?)
Old 05-05-2003, 03:44 PM   #14  

hi all

just an "im not dead" post
nothing terribly interesting on my end of the world. ate badly last week so must do better this week. still losing inches by the looks of things tho.

Tidey
Old 05-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #15  

Hello Ladies,

I am new to the LWL as of last week -- when I got some wonderful responses to my plea for help about soreness.

I have been working hard to combat the symptoms of PCOS since March 5th. My first goal was to be off all meds -- whoich I have now accomplished through proper diet, exercise and herbs. I have also lost 20 lbs. and dropped one size. From the beginning, I have tinkered with weights, but nothing major. Last week, I started kicking it up a notch and today started a new program from Bill Pearls' book which kicked my patootie. I LOVED IT!!

I have a lot of weight to lose -- I started at 290; am now at 270 and want to get to 150. I am very committed, though. Something clicked in me in March and it is for real this time.

I am eating according to what I have found works for me -- very little sugar, 50% high quality carbs; 25% high quality protein; 25% high quality fats. I eat about 2000-2200 calories a day.

I do cardio daily (except I just decided to take Sundays off), usually walking or biking (mostly biking) or bellydancing on rainy days. Before I did ab crunches daily and door poush-ups and some bi-cep curls and tri-cep curls. Now i have a whole arsenal of 16 strength training things to do M-W-F from Bill Pearl (all with dumbells -- since we cannot afford a gym right now).

My main motivation is that DH and I are expecting 2 children through the process of adoption. We have been working to bring our children home since last February. The first year was very tough (especially since we had already had 2 failed adoptions up to then) -- not a good time to try and lose weight. But now I am ready to ge tto where I will enjoy my family and be able to play with them and be active with them (our daughter, BTW, is 3 tomorrow and our son is 19 months. They are currently in an orphanage in Haiti -- where i have been 3 times to visit). PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) can sap the enrgy out of a person, but I have so much energy now that I have been eating clean and exercising.

So that is me. I LOVE the LWL part of 3fc and look forward to learning so much more from you all.

OH -- Meg...try adding maybe a tablespoon of cinnamon to your marinara and a little red pepper

Peace,
Paula
Closed Thread