Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Default What is your strangest concoction or recipe?

One of mine is something that looks so weird I wont eat it in public! But it totally does the trick for me.

I love buffalo wings but realized it was mainly the blue cheese and wing sauce that I liked. So... I spread one blue cheese skinny cow wedge on celery stalks and then dip it in 1 tbs of wing sauce! 45 cal. snack. My bf calls these my Bufafaux wings, ha!

The other isn't as weird, but very good. Tacos are so messy, and portions can be hard to control - so I mix taco seasoning in with extra lean ground turkey along with onion (the onion helps it be juicy). Then make it into patties, grill and eat on a whole wheat bun with lettuce, ff sour cream, salsa and black olives. Taco burger!

What are some things you have come up with?

Last edited by Shytowngal; 03-23-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Hot or habanero sauce, black pepper and red pepper flakes or chili powder in my cottage cheese as a veggie dip. A lot of people have looked at me weird whenever I eat it in public, lol.

Another favorite of mine is sliced apples tossed with some cinnamon and sugar/splenda*, topped with american or cheddar cheese then broil until cheese melts. Yum! *I notice brown sugar works/tastes best so I did a homemade splenda/brown sugar mix (2:1 ratio) to somewhat lower the calories.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

Jacket potatoes with honey...Sounds sick but anything that goes on toast goes with jacket potatoes! Seriously.

And (I dunno just how weird this is) A normal salad (lettuce, tomatoes, carrot, cucmber, peppers, etc.) With quorn and a few pineapple chunks. With low fat houmous. I was sick of salads and tried this one day. My god it is heavenly!
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

"Bean dip" I do a thick layer of refried beans, A layer of salsa and a layer of shredded cheese. Pop in the oven or micro until hot/cheese melty. I like to use cheddar rice quakes for dipping. Now... this would be a healthful snack if I could limit myself to ONE portion... but I don't. I eat it all. Nummies!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I accidentally did a strange form of bibimbap, a Korean dish of mixed picked vegetables/rice/egg, that turned out delicious! Diced bell peppers, cucumber, and carrots tossed gently with mirin, soy sauce, lime, and a pinch of brown sugar. I then mixed it with 1/2 c elbow macaroni, crumbled a sheet of seaweed and put a sunny side up egg on top. Squirted sriracha sauce over it. I was way too proud of myself for this haha, but it was AWESOME. If you like Asian flavors you may enjoy this one
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
I accidentally did a strange form of bibimbap, a Korean dish of mixed picked vegetables/rice/egg, that turned out delicious! Diced bell peppers, cucumber, and carrots tossed gently with mirin, soy sauce, lime, and a pinch of brown sugar. I then mixed it with 1/2 c elbow macaroni, crumbled a sheet of seaweed and put a sunny side up egg on top. Squirted sriracha sauce over it. I was way too proud of myself for this haha, but it was AWESOME. If you like Asian flavors you may enjoy this one
This sounds fun and very bibimbap like. You could use brown rice instead of the macaroni to bring it a little closer.

One slightly weird thing I've been doing lately is mixing baby lettuce leaves with everything. I've been buying the mixed green packages at Whole Foods (not the most economical choice but a tasty one; when my CSA kicks in this summer I'll probably use the lettuce I get from them). I toss a generous handful or two of lettuce over all kinds of hot foods - especially dal or meat stew - and it kind of wilts in a little and adds a really nice little bit of bulk and flavor. Or, I line the bottom of the dish with lettuce before adding in the evening's dinner of grilled fish and roasted veggies. That cup or two of lettuce has negligible calories, lots of vitamins, and give me more to chew and swallow, just making the meal more satisfying for me.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

Carter... When I have a microwaveable meal, just because I'm exhausted, I often put a bunch of spinach in a bowl and dump the meal on top of it, my roommate thinks I'm weird. haha.
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #8  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBoldAsLove87 View Post
Carter... When I have a microwaveable meal, just because I'm exhausted, I often put a bunch of spinach in a bowl and dump the meal on top of it, my roommate thinks I'm weird. haha.
I throw spinach in almost anything savory these days.
Taco meat - add frozen spinach
Louisiana style red beans and sausage - add some fresh spinach
Lentil Soup - plus some spinach
Tortilla wraps - you guessed it, with spinach
Zucchini and Eggplant in marinara - still good with spinach
Chicken pot pie mix (with low fat gravy and no crust) - yep, frozen spinach doesn't even seem to affect the taste....
And almost any salad I make is based on spinach

This is the first cold and flu season I've made it through without getting sick (and I don't get flu shots)

Also, I add whey protein to greek yogurt and mix with splenda and lemon - yummy...

FF SF pistachio pudding mix with Cool Whip free, crushed pineapple, and lots of cottage cheese...sometimes I add some almond extract

Also, I morph this carrot "burger" recipe with shredded carrots, fiber one, and egg substitute, and one tsp oil

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Carrot-...-2/Detail.aspx
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

It's not "strange," really...but it's crazy as far as my husband is concerned. I adore yellow squash. Love it. Can eat pounds of it in a weekend. Yum.

My go-to concoction for Friday and Saturday nights is 1-2 small-medium squash cut into chunks, with some frozen peas or green beans and chopped up onion (maybe a chopped carrot or two) thrown in a pan with some light butter and sauteed until they're kinda mushy (that's how I like 'em). On some days I'll throw some parmesan cheese on top when they're done. Others, if we have any leftovers, I'll put in 1/4 cup or so of spaghetti or pizza sauce. Yum-tastic.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Another favorite of mine is sliced apples tossed with some cinnamon and sugar/splenda*, topped with american or cheddar cheese then broil until cheese melts. Yum! *I notice brown sugar works/tastes best so I did a homemade splenda/brown sugar mix (2:1 ratio) to somewhat lower the calories.

They do have brown sugar splenda out there
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasita View Post
They do have brown sugar splenda out there
Thats just a mix of brown sugar and splenda anyways, cheaper to mix it yourself!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #12  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBoldAsLove87 View Post
Thats just a mix of brown sugar and splenda anyways, cheaper to mix it yourself!
That's right- much cheaper!! But thanks for the tip, though Mammasita!!

Last edited by amandie; 03-24-2011 at 03:37 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #13  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
This sounds good... (minus the egg...)
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #14  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
One slightly weird thing I've been doing lately is mixing baby lettuce leaves with everything. I've been buying the mixed green packages at Whole Foods (not the most economical choice but a tasty one; when my CSA kicks in this summer I'll probably use the lettuce I get from them). I toss a generous handful or two of lettuce over all kinds of hot foods - especially dal or meat stew - and it kind of wilts in a little and adds a really nice little bit of bulk and flavor. Or, I line the bottom of the dish with lettuce before adding in the evening's dinner of grilled fish and roasted veggies. That cup or two of lettuce has negligible calories, lots of vitamins, and give me more to chew and swallow, just making the meal more satisfying for me.
That is such a great idea!
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shytowngal View Post
My bf calls these my Bufafaux wings, ha!
I love it! And I would eat that in public, I don't think it's weird.

carter, and I thought I was the only one. I love putting shredded lettuce on top of my soups. I also do lettuce leaves instead of taco shells or tortillas. Roll up some FF refried beans, little salsa, little plain yogurt instead of sour cream.

WASaBubbleButt, pickles in yogurt? Now THAT's weird...lol.

I like putting hot stuff on top of salad so it wilts a little, but I love it that way.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote