Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #1  

Default Have you ever taken a week off from exercise?

I am going on vacation in a couple weeks and am considering taking the week off from all formal exercise. I have been working out since Dec 1st 2010, about 5-6 days/week including running, walking, elliptical, and weight lifting. The idea of not exercising for the week intrigues me, but I don't want to undo any of the good I have done thus far. Have any of you taken a workout break and what were your experiences with it? Any opinions either way?
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yes, I have. After working hard 5-6 days per week without pause for a whole year, I took a planned break. It was interesting. My plan was to take two weeks off, but I barely made it just over a week. I was itching to get back!

With lifting I came back stronger. I was shocked that I hadn't lost any ability to lift heavy. Cardio took a couple weeks to rebuild, but it wasn't at all like starting over.

On vacation though, I think I would actually crave workouts for the routine, the energy and the mind clearing moment to myself. But that's just me. When I'm on vacation nothing feels better to me than a run, especially if I can do so outside.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

i have taken 6 weeks off..... best thing i ever did for myself

I now realize totally and competely that i will NOT gain back weight if i dont exercise one day (or one week) it taught me to be even more vigilant with diet...that diet truly is the key..... and that giving my body a much needed, extended break, allowed it to heal, and enabled me to be able to burn fat again... now, however, i can ONLY lose fat if i dont exercise (intensely) lol... if im in fat loss mode i "WALK" and do a little maintenence lifting, but thats it
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I have this past week due to a killer sinus infection. I've been working out daily since July. I have stayed on plan with my eating, have lost a pound. I am at a plateau right now, trying to get to onderland. The part that really stinks is that DH got us a used treadmill yesterday and I am still not good enough to try it out. I figure once I get to feeling better, I'll break through this rut by using the treadmill
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I've done this quite often, having trouble staying on a regular plan, but I did start running and when I stopped for spring break, my body didn't like it. I was happy to run again. Good sign.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

I have and I actually came back stronger and faster. Guess your body just needs a little break every once in awhile.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

My advice is to take your personality into account. For me, taking a week off from exercising makes it incredibly difficult to get back into the groove. However, many folks have no issue with resuming their routine.
For me, the mental/psychological impact (boost) from exercising keeps my mind clear and also regulates my digestive track. Going on vacation tends to mess with my digestive regularity a bit anyway, as I get thrown out of my routine a little, and ensuring I exercise helps with this.
You could always choose to exercise at 50% intensity, or make sure you walk to tourist attractions, etc. to realize the same benefits.
Have a fun vacation!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #8  

It is professionally recommended that every 6-8 weeks of intense 3-5 day/wk exercise you should take 7 days off to fully recover and let any pre-injuries get better.

When you return, you should notice little difference in your ability to do the same exercise (i.e. you won't lose that much strength) and you'll have boat loads of more energy.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I need to do it...but I literally haven't missed a day of my 5 day a week workout schedule since it started on July 31, 2007.

I'm afraid I won't start again if I stop.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #10  

Thank you so much for all of your points of view. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of gal and am trying to break that mentality. I know a week off won't put me back at 230 pounds, but it is still kind of scary to me.
I know I will have no trouble getting back into routine when I get back, I am in this for the long haul and can't do it without exercising, plus it is a habit I want to keep for life.
A really good point brought up by fatburner77 with the digestive issues. At home I am as regular as can be, but with travel I get all out of whack.
I guess it doesn't bother me if I have to build back up to where I was lifting or running, I am in no competition with anyone, so that would be ok, if it did happen.
I will be getting some informal exercise, walks on the beach, snorkelling, beach games (not sure what those are yet). I don't plan to be totally lazy, but do plan to relax.
I am encouraged by all your responses and I think I will pack some workout gear in case I get the urge, or need to correct the digestion , but will plan to take the week off. The thought of spending time in a fitness room while on a beautiful vacation is just strange to me. I do like the thought of running on the beach, I hadn't thought of that. Not sure I'd want to wear my good shoes though?
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote