Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default A year ago, I couldn't...

I just went on a five mile run on a trail I haven't hit since the end of last Summer, at which time it was still tough just walking this trail. It felt great! There were some significant hills.

While on the trail, I realized that a little more than a year ago, I could not even walk this distance. I walked a mile out and a mile back and I remember plopping into a chair feeling dizzy and like I had overdone it.

It was humbling to realize just how far I've come in just one year. Just one year...that's all it takes.

So if you care to, in whatever time frame, what can you do now that you couldn't do before?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I'll give a simple one that I absolutely love doing now....

A year ago, I couldn't cross my legs. I had to do the "haul one leg up and kind of lay it on the other one" cross. Now, I cross them easily and I do it every chance I get, even under tables!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

This should be inspiring. I know I have different things all the time. Such a difference a year and 78 pounds can make. Here are a couple...

1. Run up the stairs. ( I used to trudge up them and still be breathless.)

2. Paint my toenails.

3. We just got a trampoline and the weight limit is 250 pounds. a year ago I couldn't jump on it. Now I can jump on it along with my daughter!

4. Now when I take my kids to the park I play with them instead of watch them play!

5. Shop in normal departments and stores.

Thanks for making me remember why I do this hard work everyday and why it is worth it!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Too many to count, but the most important one:

A year (or so) ago, I couldn't grow a baby!
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

That's a great one, Shmead!!

I just discovered another one...I was jumping around the kitchen making my 1 year old laugh, and I found I could jump in a full 360 degree circle! I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that a year ago.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

A year ago my BP was 155/105.
Today it was 101/55.

RHR a year ago: 90+
RHR now: Usually 46
Old 03-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #7  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

1 year ago I couldn't

Cross my legs
Run more than 60 seconds
Fit into my biggest clothes

See a way out of my fat prison
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

A year ago I was just re-starting my yoga practice. I remember going into warrior pose (like a lunge with arms raised) and the teacher told me to go lower. I said "I can't. This is all I can do today." My legs were so weak.

Now I'm about 100 times stronger. It is really cool to remember back then, and see where all my hard work has brought me (and know if I keep at it, I'll get so much further.)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
A year ago I was just re-starting my yoga practice. I remember going into warrior pose (like a lunge with arms raised) and the teacher told me to go lower. I said "I can't. This is all I can do today." My legs were so weak.

Now I'm about 100 times stronger. It is really cool to remember back then, and see where all my hard work has brought me (and know if I keep at it, I'll get so much further.)
About a year ago, a bit less, I tried my first yoga class and hated it. I wonder if I would like it better now. She kept putting us in "downward dog" as if that was the in-between "resting" pose, but it was anything but! My tummy was too big and I couldn't breathe.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
About a year ago, a bit less, I tried my first yoga class and hated it. I wonder if I would like it better now. She kept putting us in "downward dog" as if that was the in-between "resting" pose, but it was anything but! My tummy was too big and I couldn't breathe.
Oh, yes, and my gut doesn't get in the way when I'm doing twists.

Try yoga again. Downward dog can be such a restful pose (and a powerful strength building one, too.)

And my arms are starting to rock!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #11  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

A year ago I got exhausted from doing a Costco run. Today we parked on the far end of the lot, did 2 sweeps through the store and back to the car, and I didn't think twice about it.

A year ago I got way wetter when it rained, because I couldn't muster more than a lazy stroll. Today we went out for breakfast and I ran across the parking lot in a torrential downpour.

A year ago the thought of doing anything fitness-related for fun was foreign to me. Tonight I'm taking a pole dancing class with my girlfriends. (That's right, POLE DANCING! Who do I think I am? )

I still have a really long way to go, but 50 lbs and some serious attitude makes a huge difference.
gloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am using a 2 year period. Two years ago, I could barely make 4 laps around the walking track (.25 mile) now I walk 32 laps (2 miles) and could keep going if I had time.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

a year ago i could barely last 5-10 mins on the elliptical on resistance 1, now 30 mins on resistance 8/9 is normal 5 days a week and i'll go for an hour on 8 if i have the time and something good to watch
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

I am unbelievably proud of you all!!
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #15  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

This is such a timely thread for me, because while I hadn't begun actively losing yet, March of last year was when I dragged my absolutely exhausted, 350 lb self into a new doctor's office, got some baseline labs done which were horrible (go next week to get them repeated for the first time!), my blood pressure was 150s/high 90s, and I basically sobbed to this poor woman that I was feeling like an early death was getting close. She set me up for a sleep study, I got CPAP for my off-the-charts awful sleep apnea, started feeling a bit better, and got myself started in May on a nice eating plan.

I could barely tie my shoes seated in a recliner, let alone bend over and tie them while standing.

My legs were horribly swollen to the point that they were getting that weird discolored thing going on.

I could barely drag myself across the parking lot at work, and I still don't know how I managed to make it through my 12 hour shifts.

Not only was I horribly embarrassed at squeezing myself into a booth in a restaurant, but I took my daughter to a concert and literally was in pain from the seat the whole time. Had to wedge myself in and stayed put the whole time.

I barely had the stamina to do *really*basic housework, let alone any of the nice touches that make a house a home.

I could barely even wash properly.

Since last year, I can tie my shoes any way I want, my legs are not swollen and are a normal color , when walking across the parking lot at work I challenge myself to see how fast my feet can carry me now!, I have not found a booth I can't fit (and also was fine at Disney on Ice at that same arena!), my house has been decluttered top to bottom (except the garage ), and I've painted and redecorated my living room -- it's lovely! and I can reach any old place I please to wash! hahahaha

Man, this has been cathartic for me. I can never forget why I started this in the first place. And I just now am starting to feel like it's about to get REALLY good. But even though I still have over 100 lbs to lose, the pay-off has already been HUGE!

Edit: Oh, yeah, forgot to say that my BP is running 110s over 70s these days!!! WOO!

Last edited by shannonmb; 03-19-2011 at 08:45 PM.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote