Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/168/140

Height: 5'8

Default Squats and lunges with knee pain?

I've had sore kness for over 6 months now. They also seemed to make a creaking sound when I did squats so I stop doing them. I've read online recently that if squats and lunges are done correctly they shouldn't cause pain and would be beneficial to strengthening the muscles around the knee. Is this right?

At the moment the only lower exercise I do is donkey kicks and hip raises so looking for different things I can do
LadyStardust26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think if you have had soreness for 6 months you really should see a doctor to see what is going on- that doesn't sound good at all to me!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

you need to be very careful with your form when you are exercising. your knee is never suppose to go past your toes when you are doing lunges and squats because that will put way to much pressure on them. did the pain stop when you stopped doing the exercises? if not you should seriously think about seeing a doctor.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #4  
ASF

Hey! I agree with the guys above, you should probs get a doctor or a physiotherapist check your knee out if its been going on for that long. I have had knee problems since I was 13 well technically since i was born, anyway strengthing the muscles round the knee specially the quads can help some knee condtions by helping to stabilise the knee. BUT its really important to get some proper advice. Do you do much running or anything elese that puts a lot of impact on you joints?

Also what kind of pain do you get? Shooting pain as you squat/lunge or more of an ache? this kight give some idea of the root of the pain.

Hope this helps!
ASF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #5  
In the desert...

I had knee pain for about a year, which came and went but was most pronounced at night or when I'd been sitting for a long time. I saw a couple of doctors who said it was runner's knee, then an orthopedic surgeon who actually did x-rays and MRIs and concluded I needed surgery. Had that in November - he removed some torn meninscus and said I have arthritis in the joint. I had six weeks of physical therapy and in my final week - which is when they really push you to make sure you can "graduate" and go off and do this on your own - I was doing a ton of squats, side walking squats with a band around my feet, hamstring exercises, and a lot of one-leg balancing on things like a mini trampoline and a wobble board.

Now in the gym, I do exercises that focus on strengthening the quads (to support the knee) and stretching the hamstrings (mine are insanely tight). I agree with the posters above - you must focus on form when doing squats, particularly if you have knee issues. I do plain old body weight squats, weighted squats (with a barbell), hack squats (in the machine), leg press or leg sled, hamstring curls.. the only machine I was warned away from is the quad isolator, where you lift your leg straight out in front of you - the PT said those can put a lot of sheering pressure on the joint and for my injury, that is really bad. I don't do lunges as those tend to put my knee in a position that hurts, but there are many other exercises that work my legs to jelly!

I think you should definitely get checked out by an orthopedic or sports medicine doctor, and if nothing definitive shows up on exam, they may want to refer to you a PT for non-invasive help. I wouldn't put up with pain though - I am a classic case of waiting too long and the torn meniscus ended up being stuck in my knee joint and was causing a shedload of pain and swelling - hence my need for surgery. Not fun!

Oh, and just to add - I'm now back to running regularly and riding my horse, neither of which I could do pain-free for a year or so prior to the surgery. Now I have no pain, but I still ice after every run just to make sure things don't blow up!

Last edited by julesp313; 03-17-2011 at 07:12 PM.
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/168/140

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the replies.

I saw a doctor not long after the pain started. I was given some strong killers and told only to do low impact exercise for a few weeks. I did this and the pain stopped for a while. Its more of a ache than a shooting pain. They click all the time. I've booked another appointment with my doctor for 2 weeks.
LadyStardust26 is offline   Reply With Quote