Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Default Age 50+ Counters Club #2

Welcome to the Age 50+ Counters Club!

Many of us here are counting something in an effort to lose weight and regain health, rather it's calories, carbohydrates, Weight Watcher Points, fat grams, exchanges, or something else. It really doesn't matter what plan you are following, or what age you are, if you feel comfortable with this group, please join us here for support, accountability, and friendship on your journey to better health.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

(Written in size 4 font for people like me, who have less than perfect vision.)

Joyful R - I love my crock pot, too, and think it's one of life's best inventions, haha. Do you sear your pork roasts before slow cooking them? I like how that step seals in the juices. I googled it, and found out DST begins Sunday, March 13th this year. Right around the corner! Didn't we used to do this on the first or last Sunday?

TeaGranny - welcome back! The GI way of eating seems to work well for a lot of people, and it does make sense. I'm glad you found what works best for you.

Cheryl (HadEnough) - welcome back to you, too! I wish I had answers as to why we mess up when we've been doing so well at times. Hmmm... maybe you should adjust your goal when you get close, rather than waiting until you actually reach it? Just a thought.

Lou - I had to giggle at your post... and confess that I try to avoid seeing myself naked, too. Now that I've lost a considerable amount of weight, many of my parts are headed due south. But I'll take that any day, over the excess weight. As you said, it can be covered, haha.

Gwen - another of my favorite quotes is, "If not now, when?" Reminds me that I'm not getting any younger and the excess weight hinders me. Also, my skin is losing more elasticity every day. So losing it NOW is my best option.

Trish - you're welcome for the thread, but it's people like you who are making it a success! I'm just so happy about the sharing we've all got going here.

Food is under control here, and I've been getting lots of stretches and lunges while spring cleaning. I've kind of been relying more on calorie counting than carb counting. Although my loss is small each week, at least it is consistent, so I won't complain. I am happy with this WOE, and that is so important!

Have a good one, and I'll check back tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Jane, I love that you get my sense of humor

Today I ate another pizza omlette for breakfast. For lunch I had roast beef, tomato, cheese & mustard wrapped up in romaine lettuce leaves. For dinner I had meatloaf (it was my turn to co-op cook) and green beans (I add tossed them in just a sprinkle of sesame seed oil and boy were they good). I modified my meatloaf by leaving out the bread and the brown sugar glazed ketchup sauce. Instead, I glazed it with some leftover no sugar Italian seasoned tomato sauce. Hubby said he liked it just as well as the original so this is my new meatloaf recipe. Might experiment with adding another egg but it seemed to hold together fairly well with just the one egg. I forgot that I had mashed cauliflower in the fridge but honestly I didn't miss it even though I had made mashed potatoes for everyone else.

Today was a good accountable day. I might have some peanut butter & celery before I go to bed tonight.

See you all tomorrow!
Lou
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #4  

Hi everyone, I've been away for awhile and it is always nice to see new faces.

Lou, I am glad I checked, I was needing a snack, and celery and p-nut butter sounds great.... I have points to spare. For the first time in a long time I can say I haven't eaten enough today!

Jane, I love my crock-pot too. Yes I sear roasts (all) before I put them in, unless I am out of time in the morning then I cheat, lol. They are noticably better with the browning/searing step I think. I also love my pressure cooker. It really helps when I haven't planned well, and with game. It is quicker than a microwave for many things. (and I am not crazy about microwave cookery for main dishes- more of a reheat, defrost or designed for it kinda gal. Did that make sense?)

DH noticed that I looked different today. "Did you do something different with your hair? No? Well, something is different-- I know, you're wearing that blouse I like--Oh! You've lost weight! You look specially nice today. "

I am right at a 20 pound weight loss, no one else has noticed, I didn't expect anyone to because of the amount I have to lose, but I can comfortably wear this blouse and some of my other clothes where they were too tight before. Way to go hubby!!! He got a great big hug and kiss for that.

Hello TeaGranny, Joyful, Gwen, Cheryl and welcome Trish!!

Glad to see some folks back, and welcome to the new names.

Last edited by Bunti; 02-08-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Change font size
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning All,

Tea Granny - What you are doing "counts" & it's working for you. I wish I could get by with less counting, but every time I try, I start eating too much & have to go back to counting.

HadEnough - Please don't get discouraged. Just keep restarting. After all, that's what all of us do everyday, regardless of how the previous day went.

Lou - You have accomplished so much already. You've gotten your blood sugar under control & lost 58 lbs. That is huge. Maybe in addition to "choosing our hard", we need to consider "choosing our naked"; fat - minimal wrinkles & sag, losing - more wrinkles & sag, Maintenance - the most wrinkles & sag we are willing to tolerate. If you are happy with your current weight & want to hold steady, you are already so much healthier than when you started, so do what's right for you. Plus, you are female, & thus entitled to change your mind & start losing again at any time the notion strikes. If you chose to maintain, my one suggestion would be to have a plan in place should the weight start creeping back up. The worst that could happen is that you'd get some experience at maintaining.

Gwen - Thanks for the info about that new diet from Prevention. I have read elsewhere about the benefits of eating small, frequent meals. It's my impression from various bulletin boards that many people are very successful with this eating pattern. Thanks also for sharing those quotes. I especially like the "no deprivation" quote.

pattygirl - Congrats on another 2 lbs. down! Glad you found the info from that book helpful. FYI-With your fasting BS high after eating as you did the previous day, you might want to google "diabetic dawn phenomona" or go to the diabetic forum (under Dieting With Obstacles) on these boards & ask about it. Wish I could help, but my understanding of it is very sketchy.

Jane - Glad you had another good food day. March 13 will be here in no time at all! They do keep changing when DST begins & ends. My memory isn't what it use to be, but I think it long ago started the last Sunday in April & ended the first Sunday in October. I also prefer the taste of roasts seared before putting them in the crokpot, but whether or not I do so is based on how easy I want the process to be at the time. LOL.

Bunti - Yea for 20 lbs. gone! Well, you can never say your hubby doesn't notice you. It is funny, though, when people notice something is different about you, but it takes a while for them to pinpoint it. When I had lost about 25 lbs, a friend told me I was "looking taller". What a hoot!

My plan is in place for the day, with homemade Turkey Vegetable Soup on the menu. I'll probably eat it for lunch & dinner, and will have an egg & cheese sandwich with a cup of hot milk (teabag steeped in it) for breakfast. If I need a snack the plan is for fried cheese crisps & 2c. popcorn.

Everyone have a great day & God bless.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

3 pounds lost this week I celebrated by adding 2 points to my breakfast egg and multigrain toast, 1/2 oz of black forest ham shredded and 1/4 oz, about 1 TBSP of shredded cheese. I was wonderful and I feel rewarded and I'm going to go do my exercise tape now - then plant some tomato seeds indoors for my garden in May.

ps I use the really old WW plan for counting points - it worked 11 years ago and I figure it will work now - with out having to pay the fees associated with actually going to WW meetings

Last edited by Tea Granny; 02-08-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning Everyone,

Jane I too love my crockpot. I have a small one for cooking for just Tony and me. It is nice when I make soups or beans for 1 or 2. Sometimes he won't eat what I cook because of our differences in likes & dislikes. I have a larger one for when company comes or when I make stuff that we freeze for later. I also love my little George Foreman grill. Took me a while to get Tony to like foods cooked on it, but now that I've learned how to use it better he loves steaks cooked on it. I'm grilling fish today.

Joyful retiree I've gone back to using the WW pts plus counting. It did work for me before with bringing the FBS down until I got into adding junk to it. I decided that it does make things easier because I can have my fruit, just not as much of it, and I like the fact that most fruits and veggies are considered freebies. That means that I only have to count the protein and starchy veggies. Since I'm in control of what I eat, I can go heavier on the protein and light on the starchy stuff. Got my plan. I ordered the book you mentioned. My toaster oven which DH had before we married finally went out on us. He went online and ordered me the large size Oster Convection Toaster Oven and when I read the reviews on it they said the instruction book that comes with it isn't very helpful on how to use convection cooking. So I went online to Amazon.com and ordered 2 books on convection oven cooking and decided to ahead and order Life Without Bread book as well. I thought it might be a good thing to have.

Bunti Good for your DH for noticing your weight loss. It is so hard for us to see our loss especially if you are like me and lose slowly. There is a lady at my church that I call "my cheerleader". She is always telling me how good I look since I've lost weight and am eating healthier. She is an RN at our local hospital and she has helped me a lot on things health wise and it means a lot to hear her encouraging words. Smart hubby for being your encourager/cheerleader.

Well, I usually write my plan out as I go. However, I planned my breakfast and wrote it down before I went to bed. It is 6 pts and is a nice place to start. I always ate oatmeal for breakfast, but found that it raised my BS. Thank God for Irish steel cut oats. I seem to tolerate those so I had my steel oats with blueberries, vanilla Activia and chia seeds (diabetic friend at church told me it helps her keep her BS normal and then I put cinnamon on it for the same reason. Will have grilled flounder with veggies, salad and steamed broccoli and dinner will be eggs & bacon with what I call a finger salad. Snacks will be an apple, grapes and celery with peanut butter. So I have my plan and will use 28 of the 29 basic pts. My doctor said that I don't have to eat the full 29 pts if I come to the end of the day and haven't eaten all of them. He says he thinks they allow so many because they don't want you to be hungry. I plan to save my weekly pts for eating out and won't use my AP at all. They don't count everything any more so it isn't easy to figure out how many AP I've earned.

Got a lot to do today. I attend BSF (for those who don't know that stands for Bible Study Fellowship, International) tomorrow and I'm behind on my lessons for tomorrow. So I better get busy.

For those I missed and lurkers

Everybody have a great day!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Lou - your menu for yesterday sounds great. I'm going to try the Italian dressing on meatloaf one of these days.

Bunti - a big YAY for your hubby, noticing that you've lost so much. Those kinds of remarks make us feel so good!

Joyful R - "looking taller" that is so funny! I just have to ask - what are fried cheese crisps. Sounds like something I oughta stay away from, but I bet they are ok since you are eating them.

Tea Granny - YAY for the 3 pounds down! Whoot! Are you talking about the old Weight Watcher's 1-2-3 Success program? I forget how it went, but I'm sure I used it at one time. Is it exchanges?

Trish - I have a fairly new toaster oven and it will cook via convection, but I have no idea how to use it. I need to read the book, I guess. Your doctor is right; no need to eat when you aren't hungry.

Food was on target today. We went to get our taxes done, and I stopped by the grocery for fresh produce. Also finished the dining room's spring cleaning. The sun was out, but it was cold and windy. Brrrrr!

I found a new food that I'd like to share. Although I prefer to not eat packaged foods, sometime you just have to. Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants bars, in the new Caramel Coconut Fudge flavor is so good! These have 9 grams of fiber. Give 'em a try if you eat things like that.

Stay OP and stay warm!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Hello Chickies! It's been another miserable cold & snowy day here. Brrrr

Trish, it's good that you could join us on this thread. I think you'll like it here!

Bunti, how wonderful that your hubby noticed your weight loss and how nice to fit in your clothes so comfortably!

joyful retiree, as always you encourage me

Tea Granny, congrats on losing 3#'s You go girl!!!

Jane, those bars sound yummy! I mean really, if it has fudge in the title, how can it not be good??? I will have to read the label and see if I can have that on phase two of SB.

A big to anyone I missed.

Today was a good day. I've been ambivalent about starting phase two since I had a couple of slip ups. I decided to go ahead and start phase two. I just think if I drag phase one out another week I'm only going to slip up again. So today's menu went like this:

B: Pizza omlette, sauteed zucchini

Snack: SF Jello mixed with greek yogurt

L: Stirfry chicken/zuchini, mushrooms & green peppers with 1 serving of quinoa. I know it was one serving because that's all I made This was my first phase two carb!

S: chicken breast

D: Chili/mushroom/cheese omelette
Extra dark chocolate for dessert (my second phase two carb)

I have a bag of frozen mixed berries thawing in the fridge. I think I will have a smoothie for breakfast. Can't wait. I've really missed my berries!

According to SB, I'm not counting my carbs or calories but I am sticking to the allowed list for phase 2. I am also drinking a serving of metamucil 15 minutes before each meal and it is amazing how full I stay. I just heard Dr. Oz recommend doing this too. Of course since I have problems (sorry if this is TMI) with irregularity I think this will be a good thing. So far, so good.

Hope everyone is staying warm and safe.
Lou

Last edited by ANewCreation; 02-09-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

Just a quick flyby to say hi. I woke up with a sore throat this morning, so I plan on crawling back under the covers after a cup of lemon ginger tea.

Everyone have a great day & God bless.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #11  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Lou - I doubt that the bars are SB friendly. I like your menus for yesterday. Good and healthy! I saw the show where Dr. Oz was recommending fiber before a meal. Sounds like a good idea. Sometimes I eat 1 T. walnuts before a meal. Just enough to take the edge off. Enjoy your berry smoothie this morning.

Joyful R - aww, feel better soon! I hope the tea helped. ((HUG))

Hello to anyone reading this.

Today I'll be spring cleaning the guest bathroom. Not that big of a deal since the baths are cleaned so often anyway. Under the sink area may be a bit of a challenge, haha. If I have time, I'm going to finish the backing on Holden's comforter. Tonight is my book club meeting. I'm looking forward to it since I missed last week due to the snow.

My food plan is in place, and I'm good to go!

Toodles!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #12  

Quick flyby here too. The dreaded winter colds have come to our house. So far one DS and I are the only ones unaffected. Heading for work.

Sounds like we are all doing well. I will have to try the Irish oats, I use oat brans sometimes , but still can feel the up an down of blood sugar hungries.

Thanks Lou, Jane, Trish and Granny for food ideas that fit into my woe. I am in sort of a rut. Except yesterday used daily points (4) and felt somehow wrong about it. Didn't use more, and didn't use the slight splurge as an excuse to bings. This is progress!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

It's late so this is a quick flyby for me too. Was a busy day starting with my BSF meeting. I left before the lecture and ran home got my grocery list I had forgotten and went to the store. Got home and doctor had called in new prescription for DH so we ended up going to Walmart. Got home and day has just flown.

I've 2 great days totally on the WW Pts +. And Jane I got the Caramel Coconut bars and really was good with my green tea.

I'll read and do indivituals tomorrow. We are supposed to get snow tonight so going no where tomorrow. Hope this will be the last. We usually get 1 or 1 snows and this will be 3rd if we get it.

Till tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #14  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Bunti - I hope you feel better soon. I am going to begin doing WW At Home, so I'll be counting points with you.

Trish - I hope today is more laid back for you. I just knew you'd like those bars. They are so good! Here's hoping you don't get anymore snow.

Hello to anyone reading this.

It's so cold here today, 7 degrees, but I'll warm up naturally while doing more spring cleaning. I slacked off yesterday - just couldn't get in the mood. The sun is out today, though, and that really makes a person feel better.

Food plan is in place, but I need to concentrate on more water. It's amazing how much more energy I have when I get enough.

Have a good day!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #15  
GmaTo8

Oops! I just noticed that the old name - Carb Counters - came up for this title. I've changed it, and hope it didn't run anybody off, lol. We don't care what you are counting - everyone is welcome here.
Closed Thread