Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Default C25k--jumping in halfway through??

Has anyone done this? I'm realizing that I'm not making much progress with my method (which is to say that I have no method besides "run"). I'm signed up for a 5k in 8 weeks, so I know I still have time, but it means that I've got to come up with a better plan since mine isn't doing anything.

I decided to jump in at week 4 since I can pretty easily run .5 miles/6 mins. I'm thinking I may have to do week 4 a couple of times since week 5 has a 20 min run and that seems like a big jump in just one week. Today was pretty easy aside from some cramping in my calves, so I did have to stop and stretch halfway through. I think next time I'll extend the warm-up in the beginning to at least 15 minutes, stop and stretch, then start the running. My muscles are nowhere near satisfied with 5 minutes.

Just wondering if anyone else has successfully completed the program without necessarily starting at the beginning?
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #2  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I think it's fine to just jump into whatever week you want.

But why are you only running for 5 minutes? You should be running for 16 minutes total - but with breaks. If this is what you meant, then if I were you, I would add an additional interval on to the end OR shorten the walking breaks to feel more of a work out. I'd personally add the additional 5 minute interval. If you are still not feeling like you worked out enough, then also lengthen the time from 5 minutes to 8 and jump into week 5, day 2.

I did the whole program a year ago, but then this fall took a break from running and jumped back in a few months later by going right to week 5. After a few days of this, I was easily back up to running 20 minutes and then just added 5 minutes at a time until I was back to 30.

The 20 minute "jump" isn't really that much of a jump because you've been running for 15 or 16 minutes for weeks. It only adds on 4-5 minutes, but reduces the overall exercise time by eliminating the walking breaks. Your body will be fine with it, just remember you might need to go really slow (4.5 or 5 mph on the treadmill).

Good luck!
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I did exactly that, starting with week 4. I disagree with wildflower though. That 20 minute run IS difficult, especially starting with week 4. I learned to get through it I had to slow down, and then it was no big deal. And the rest of the program was quite easy. In fact I think I skipped the last two or three weeks too and just jumped into running 5K...but at a reduced speed.

I jumped in because what got me into running in the first place was discovering that I could run a mile at 5.0, which was killer! I figured if I could do that, I didn't need the beginning of the program. I backed off to 4.6 and ran that way fro some time. Now I'm up to 6.0 and running 5K, though that's not yet a comfortable pace.

It was fine. It is a good program. I went back and repeated it with a faster speed later.

Last edited by Eliana; 03-16-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for your replies, ladies.

Wildflower, I guess I should have specified. I can do about 5-6 minutes at a time before I need to stop to catch my breath. I'll walk for a few minutes, then run again. I've been repeating that for about 3 miles.

Eliana, it's nice to know someone else started with week 4 and was still able to complete the program! I was a little concerned that even though I could do week 4, that somehow I wasn't actually prepared for the coming weeks without having done 1, 2, and 3. I'm definitely still worried about the 20 min run in week 5, but I think I can push through it! I'll keep you posted.
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #5  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Just remember to go slooooow and you'll be suprised at how long you can go. I was in a C25K support group last year over on Active.com. Almost all of us ran that 20 minute run at 4.5 mph on the treadmill, which is about as slow as you can run without having to walk and a suprise as a lot of us ran the shorter intervals in the 5-6 range. The longer you keep up the running, the more your speed will just naturally improve. So don't worry about going slow!
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote