Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/*ticker*/165

Height: 5'5"

Default Buying clothes while in the process of losing weight?

I was just wondering if I could get some tips about how to go about buying clothes while I'm in the process of losing weight. For example, I don't want to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe for every 20 or so lbs that I lose. But at the same time, I don't want to wear clothes that don't fit. Anyone have any suggestions based on their personal experiences? Thanks!
xLindsay46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I bought all my clothes while losing at Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers or Consignment shops.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

I have found a couple of things as I go along.

#1-belts are your friend. Belts on pants...belts over tops (cute stylish ones) can stretch your wardrobe when it seems a bit big.

#2- With the above tip, I can go 2 pants sizes (about 20-30 pounds) between buying things. I started at a 16...I lost 20 pounds before my pants seemed too big to even belt so then I was in 12s. Then I bought three pair: 2 for work and 1 pair of jeans. I just alternate them. I also buy clearance and thrift store for my inbetween stuff.

For tops, I had enough to just get rid of the stuff that no longer fits, and continue wearing the ones that were either snug before, or still look ok being a bit big.

I am also LOVING leggings and dresses. They are much more forgiving than pants and tops. A bunch of my dresses from before still look great even though they are a bit big. With a fitted cardigan or jacket over them, you can't tell. And the leggings are fitted, so not much of a change there. Also, I am able to buy much smaller dresses than pants (size 10 since I was in 14s and 12s) so they will last me further into my weight loss journey.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

Oh yes, I'm buying clothes even though I have decided to lose another 10 lbs and am not sure what size I'll be wearing then. I have found jeans at Ross and often check the clearance racks. I've been buying stuff for summer and try to get them a little bit tight. I am just so excited, I can't stop myself! It's been so long since I have bought anything really cute.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #5  

Thanks for all of your responses and suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prism21 View Post
I am just so excited, I can't stop myself! It's been so long since I have bought anything really cute.
I can't wait to get that feeling. I typically shop at Fashion Bug, so I am able to get cute plus size clothing. However, I can't wait till the day when I can wear cute clothes and have a flat tummy, etc.

Last edited by xLindsay46; 03-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

ebay ebay ebay.

buy, wear while you are that size, resell.

it's win all around.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
ebay ebay ebay.

buy, wear while you are that size, resell.

it's win all around.

Yup! Ive been reselling everything I grow out of. I cant stand clothes that are too big. I really hate it. I dont have that much that fits me right now but enough to get by and when I grow out of them (shrink out of them??lol) I sell on ebay.

Also, I ALWAYS buy stuff on sale. Target and TJ Maxx clearance ftw.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #8  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Goodwill was great for me, not only for savings but because I didn't get hung up on sizes, only how something fit. Because the clothes are from different eras and manufacturers, size tags did not necessarily reflect current sizing even if they still had tags in them.

And I moved through a LOT of sizes in my journey. Pants went from 24 to 8.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #9  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I used to be so against buying clothes at Goodwill. I don't know why I had such an issue with it. BUT I have been reformed this past weekend. I was able to get away with wearing my 16's until I got to a loose size 12 and then I had to give up the ghost. I recommend bringing skirts to get alterations done but it's just too expensive to get pants taken in. And honestly, I probably could have found 4 "new" skirts at Goodwill for what it cost me to get 2 old skirts (albeit adorable) altered.

I wish I could do ebay but I literally have one of those bodies where I have to try on EVERYTHING before I buy it. Maybe one day that'll change. :-)

Congrats on your outstanding weightloss so far!

Last edited by ShanIAm; 03-15-2011 at 09:51 AM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #10  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I buy a lot of stuff at goodwill and other thrift store type places. I also watch for clearance and have shopped a bit on ebay. You can also keep an eye on craigslist, sometimes people are trying to sell giant bags of clothing in a certain size for just a few bucks. I also watch for things that will carry me a few sizes. Right now I am in 12s and I found these awesome pants at wal-mart on clearance. They are cargo and so will look ok even if they are a bit baggy and they have a hidden drawstring inside the waist behind the button. Because of that drawstring I will probably be able to wear these pants when my others are 8s or even 6s. I got them in 3 different colors. I will not buy workout pants that don't have drawstrings. I buy dresses with ties or belts (I'm not much of a dress person though). I buy fabrics that won't look frumpy if the item is a bit big, so lots of knit and t-shirt material tops. I am constantly keeping my eye out for things that fit into these rules of mine. If I see a really big clearance section at a store I will check it out even if I didn't intend to shop for clothes that day. If I don't currently need anything I will shop for a size or 2 down. I already have bins in storage for sizes down to 4 because I don't want to be caught with nothing to wear.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #11  
Buxom Babe

S/C/G: 280/162/160

Height: 5'8

For the majority of my weight loss wardrobe, I'm hunting estate sales and thirft stores. I have a limited wardrobe in anything 18-14, so as I reach each new size, I'll have to buy pants. I can take in the skirts I have and the shirts can be worn loose for a while longer. As soon as spring sales hit the department stores, I'll be wading through their 70% racks, too.

My advice:
Pants are always the first thing to show a size dropped. Invest in one pair of well fitting, attractive jeans every time you drop a size. Keep them in good condition and each size you drop, take it to either a consignment shop, donate to resale or sell it on eBay.

Skirts can usually be taken in once or twice depending on fabric and style.

Shirts can be worn loose or belted, or even under a cardigan or jacket.

Dresses don't have to be skin tight, but make sure the bustline and the waistlines are altered to flatter your new frame.

Once you get down to 5 pounds within your goal weight, that's when you should start looking for more permanent investment pieces - stuff that's near your goal, that can be taken in 1 time to account for any additional loss of inches and that make you feel great when you wear them.
586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #12  

Thanks for all of your great responses! I actually did start selling some of my old clothes that were too big on eBay, and got a little $ back, so I guess I can continue to do that. I also typically only shop clearance racks anyways, so continuing to do that sounds good as well. I think I just need to keep in mind that I don't need a whole new wardrobe until I meet my goal weight, and that I can get by with 1 or 2 pairs of jeans and enough shirts to last me throughout the week. Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #13  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

I also wanted to add that it's simply amazing how few clothes you actually need when every single thing in the closet fits!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

I love going to consignment stores. They are nice and clean and don't smell funny like thrift stores sometimes do. When I go there I can find really nice name brand clothes that I can't even began to afford. The last time I went I found a really nice looking pair of jeans with no wear and tear and three really nice tops plus a black leather Relic Purse that was really cute. Expensive brands too. When I went to the checkout and she said $35.00 I almost fell over. I'm sure some of those tops were over $60.00-$80.00 or more and they were new or almost new. I guess they mark stuff down a lot when seasons are changing.

When I was gaining weight I would buy things without trying them on and usually bought big. Now I try on tons of clothes and only buy what looks good on me. I tend to buy things that are a little snug. I actually tried on a 12 that fit last weekend. I have been taking my clothes to them to resell but haven't gotten much because the ones I like get lots of use and are no longer next to new. So I donate them instead.

Last edited by kittycarlson; 03-16-2011 at 05:49 PM.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/133/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm a huge fan of Old Navy for in between size shopping. They have a wide variety of sizes and often have things marked down 40% off the lowest marked price in the clearance racks. I also like that they have somewhat trendy items in all sizes and pretty cheap. Their jeans are about $20 new and some styles come in petite sizing which is hard to find for my short little legs!
SpeedGracer is offline   Reply With Quote