General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #1  
Science Genius Girl

Height: 5'7"

Default Too many veggies?

I just started counting calories a couple days ago, and I'm a little confused...

Is it bad to have a meal consisting entirely of vegetables? As long as I get wheat, dairy, fruit, and meat sometime else during the day? Because today in the cafeteria at lunch I just wanted to fill up on the delicious stir-fry veggies they had (I know you have to be careful with stir-fry, but these weren't very oily at all), but it felt weird for vegetables to be the only part of my meal so I also grabbed a hamburger. I still managed to finish off the day under 1400 calories, but would I have been fine with just the vegetables?
Penultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Im quite curious how you were able to eat a hamburger and stirfried veggies from a cafeteria and still stay under your cals! Is the nutritional information posted there or are you estimating your calories?
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #3  
Science Genius Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlove View Post
Im quite curious how you were able to eat a hamburger and stirfried veggies from a cafeteria and still stay under your cals! Is the nutritional information posted there or are you estimating your calories?
I accidentally slept through breakfast, so... ^^;; And the hamburgers at the cafeteria aren't very big. They post nutrition information there.
Penultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Ah ok.

Well, if you can feel fully satisfied with a meal of veggies go for it! Do what works for you I personally would add some protein to it - eggs or some nuts maybe?
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #5  

I personally don't trust the nutrition info posted in my work cafeteria. I saw an "Asian salad", for example, that was listed at 550 calories that had to be at least 1,000. It was loaded with steak, stir fry noodles, and a heap of those fried wonton strips. Not saying this is the case everywhere, but it's very easy to underestimate your calories when you're eating meals out.
Fitness Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #6  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

Vegetables are fine for a full meal. However if you are doing something energy demanding I would throw in some cashews or some other kind of protein to help you last through the day longer.

Last edited by Initiative; 03-04-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #7  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

You should absolutely not add something because you feel obligated. Save it and eat it later.

I thought I'd be eating much more at lunch than normal because I skipped breakfast... turns out I only wanted salmon and heap of veggies. That's a good thing: it means I got to have a midnight snack just now and stay under 1100 for the day A huge meal of stirfried veggies = some carbs, some fat. Remember that you're low on protein and get it after school, no worries there.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/174/145

yes it's absolutely fine! I find that the more veggies I eat the less hungry I am throughout the day. For those of us who like to eat "volume" veggies are a great way to do that!
aspenemry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I join in on the cheers for veggies. When I first started my weight loss, I was a dubious but faithful follower of Barbara Rolls' Volumetrics. She proclaimed veggies as filling. I really didn't believe but gave it a month, then happily converted over.

Now, I'm a huge fan of volumetrics, low-energy dense foods, and the "fullness factor" at nutritiondata.com. I try to have a meal that almost all veggie with a very small amount of a whole grain plus a lean protein (my preferences are tofu, nuts, beans). I substitute bean sprouts for noodles or rice when I've cooked a stir fry or other hot dish. Fat, protein and whole grains are awesome with your veggies but in small amounts. The body can totally do well with that.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I think it's fine. I also don't think you should feel like you have to eat wheat.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 03-13-2011 at 03:10 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #11  

Power to the veggies!!!!!
cookinmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #12  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I wouldn't say "too many veggies" as I would "not enough protein". You need protein to build muscle...to live basically, not enough and your body can become catabolic (in which is eats away at it own muscle to get the much needed protein).
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #13  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

One meal that isn't "properly balanced" isn't the end of the world! Like others said, if I had a veggie heavy meal for lunch, I'd try to get some protein in for a snack or supper to have things balanced by the end of the day.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penultimate View Post
I just started counting calories a couple days ago, and I'm a little confused...

Is it bad to have a meal consisting entirely of vegetables? As long as I get wheat, dairy, fruit, and meat sometime else during the day? Because today in the cafeteria at lunch I just wanted to fill up on the delicious stir-fry veggies they had (I know you have to be careful with stir-fry, but these weren't very oily at all), but it felt weird for vegetables to be the only part of my meal so I also grabbed a hamburger. I still managed to finish off the day under 1400 calories, but would I have been fine with just the vegetables?
In terms of efficient eating, I would suggest a combo of protein and carb (not simple carbs - foods with added sugars, or processed white grains and flours; these will cause a spike in your insulin levels which in turn makes your metabolism slow down; rely on complex carbs found in whole grains, fruti and veggies for energy) as opposed to eating just protein or veggies as a stand alone meal. Combining lean protein with complex carbs causes your BMR to rise supporting a health metabolism - combo eating with complex carbs results in a slow release of sugar into bloodstream, causing your blood and insulin levels to stablize giving you longer lastnig energy all day long.

Have you thought about packing a lunch as opposed to eating cafeteria food?
Freedom One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #15  
Licia New Me

S/C/G: 170/167/125

Height: 5 foot even

All veggies can actually help your body purge itself of all inpurities, but they don't need to have anything added. Only eat them grilled or steamed or fresh. Check out phase one of the FatSmash for a 9 day detox and it will help you lose all the impurities to get back on track with your weight loss. And I can personally say that you will lose 5-10 pounds easily within nine days... and NEVER BE HUNGRY...

Only eat
vegetables, fruits, brown rice, yogurt, plain oatmeal, tofu, egg whites, soy milk... drink plenty of water... no caffiene, sugar, or salt.. only nine days though... that way no long lasting effects on your body.. and remember PROTEIN comes from beans also.... without the added fat
newmeLicia is offline   Reply With Quote