Old 03-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #1  
started IP 1.11.11

S/C/G: 242/209/175

Height: 5'7"

Default for PCOS girls: warning TMI

Hi fellow PCOSers,

I think I fall in the norm of those with PCOS in the sense that I do not get a period unless I'm on on birth control. Well, since doing this diet, I've basically been bleeding daily (8 weeks)! AND I'm on birth control! My coach thinks I should go to my doc, which I'm considering, but curious if any of you had some insight.

Thanks!
ash825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

I don't have PCOS, and have no experience with this, but I'd call the doc for sure. If you're on hormone type birth control like the pill, that shouldn't be happening even if it's only spotting. Could be a lot of things happening, not to mention a sign that your bc isn't stopping ovulation. Maybe someone with PCOS experience can provide better advice?
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

Yes, you need to go to a doc asap.. Bleeding for 8 weeks will definitely lead to anemia.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #4  
started IP 1.11.11

Thanks guys. I'm eating more red meat and keeping an eye on the physical symptoms of anemia. I'm going to be calling the doc but I know that I have a lot cysts with PCOS and wondering if this is a cleansing of sorts and that's why I was curious to hear from PCOS girls. Major TMI alert: I'm not soaking through tampons or anything, just needing to wear a panty liner (but not just spotting either). Yikes, sorry to throw that all out there.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #5  
Restarting IP 2/14/2014

S/C/G: 279/264/160

Height: 5'6

I have PCOS, but I'm not an expert. What you're experiencing definitely isn't normal, even for PCOS. I don't think it has anything to do with cleansing, I think it's hormones. The diet should help get rid of insulin resistance and diminish your symptoms so it may be time to re-evaluate your birth control (brands, dosage). Either way, I agree that you should see a doctor. Make sure your Dr is more of an expert on PCOS rather than one with just textbook knowledge, it really makes a difference, especially with uncommon things like prolonged bleeding!

Last edited by TatiN; 03-09-2011 at 08:57 PM.
TatiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

I have pcos and my periods were pretty regular from my diet before IP. I didn't lose weight but i ate low carbs and a holistic dr. got my periods pretty regulated. Then i lost a bunch of weight and the periods went a little crazy. My first crazy period was one where i bled for two weeks. My dr. said my body was just catching up. Then they got a lot better - much lighter. then i started skipping periods or id have a normal one followed by another normal one 15 days later or i'd start spotting mid cycle. I'm still trying to get things regular again. Spotting occurs randomly for me now with no rhyme or reason. My dr. said it was because my hormones are trying to normalize from the loss of all the estrogen in the body fat. So while the chaos is frustrating its actually a good sign. However I am also at an age where i could be in some pre-menopause so additional craziness with the periods could be confusing things. My hope is that when i reach my weight goal i will have completely reversed pcos. Since you are bleeding so much i would check with your dr to see if your birth control needs to be adjusted since your hormones are changing. I wouldn't panic though. You're not bleeding out or bleeding excessively so i don't think you're in danger of anemia. You probably just need a little hormonal support.

another note - people with pcos should avoid soy. Your body interprets soy as estrogen. thats why they suggest it for women in menopause as a natural estrogen therapy. But with pcos we have too much estrogen so our bodies overcompensate by making too much testosterone. on the ip diet we are eating soy. this could affect your periods as well. However, the weight comes off fast enough that the hope is it will be a short term sacrifice that could reverse the pcos completely.

Last edited by Figgypudding; 03-09-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Figgypudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Definitely see your doctor- don't wait on it.

Having blood that long could be something else and you don't want to put it off if it could be jeopardizing your health.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figgypudding View Post
I have pcos and my periods were pretty regular from my diet before IP. I didn't lose weight but i ate low carbs and a holistic dr. got my periods pretty regulated. Then i lost a bunch of weight and the periods went a little crazy. My first crazy period was one where i bled for two weeks. My dr. said my body was just catching up. Then they got a lot better - much lighter. then i started skipping periods or id have a normal one followed by another normal one 15 days later or i'd start spotting mid cycle. I'm still trying to get things regular again. Spotting occurs randomly for me now with no rhyme or reason. My dr. said it was because my hormones are trying to normalize from the loss of all the estrogen in the body fat. So while the chaos is frustrating its actually a good sign. However I am also at an age where i could be in some pre-menopause so additional craziness with the periods could be confusing things. My hope is that when i reach my weight goal i will have completely reversed pcos. Since you are bleeding so much i would check with your dr to see if your birth control needs to be adjusted since your hormones are changing. I wouldn't panic though. You're not bleeding out or bleeding excessively so i don't think you're in danger of anemia. You probably just need a little hormonal support.

another note - people with pcos should avoid soy. Your body interprets soy as estrogen. thats why they suggest it for women in menopause as a natural estrogen therapy. But with pcos we have too much estrogen so our bodies overcompensate by making too much testosterone. on the ip diet we are eating soy. this could affect your periods as well. However, the weight comes off fast enough that the hope is it will be a short term sacrifice that could reverse the pcos completely.

I also have PCOS. Thank you for the information about soy I did not know that. I am lacto. intolerant and have been using soy products, almond and rice products for a long time.

Ash,t I agree with FiggyPudding. I have have had my periods up to 5 months at a time on BC.
Jaclyn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #9  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash825 View Post
Hi fellow PCOSers,

I think I fall in the norm of those with PCOS in the sense that I do not get a period unless I'm on on birth control. Well, since doing this diet, I've basically been bleeding daily (8 weeks)! AND I'm on birth control! My coach thinks I should go to my doc, which I'm considering, but curious if any of you had some insight.

Thanks!

I had a similar experience (I have PCOS).
I went to my doctor, which I really think you should do. My doctor told me that my cyst burst, and what I was seeing was my body trying to get rid of whatever was in the cyst which may look like you have your period. However, I do feel/hear a burst when my cysts break.

On the brighter side, having lost about 15 pounds now, I haven't had a cyst in about a month!!!
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

This isn't the first time someone on IP with PCOS has had this happen. PLEASE, still see your doctor. Your coach is not an expert in your medical condition and possible not informed on other medical conditions. Trust your doctor first! Get them information on what you are using for the diet. They may adjust your hormones or check to insure you are not having any other health issues as a result of this.

For me, I do have many cyst on my ovaries and have other endometrial issues. The diet dramatically has changed my menstrual cycles. I have hated how frequently and how long I now flow but, it isn't like I am flowing super heavily at this stage. I did when I was burning a lot of fat and my doctor said it is my bodies response to the added estrogen being dumped into my system.

Definitely, don't seek board advice to follow (just experience perhaps), get what info you can from your coach, share it with your doctor. Trust your doctor to help you with the medical issue you are dealing with. NO ONE else is really in a good position to tell you what is best to do.

showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

What pill are you on?
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #12  
started IP 1.11.11

Thanks, ladies.

I'm on Apri birth control.

I did make an appointment for Thursday.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/188/125

Height: 5'0"

No medical advice here but I'll share my experience. Same thing happened to me before my official PCOS Dx. My Dr explained to me that my progeseterone levels were too low. Normally a spike in Pg triggers your period to stop and that wasn't happening. So she have me a mega dose of Pg and then sent me home with more pills. It worked. My hormones were off because of untreated hypothyroidism. But it would make sense to me that in theory with the diet an weight loss estrogen is being released from fat cells and causing an out of balance scenario.

Definately go see your dr.

Only problem I had was with the mega dose Pg. That night I woke up to go to the bathroom and had such a severe case of vertigo I had to crawl to the bathroom. I've never had anything like that before so am just guessing it was the Pg. Dr said no way. Never had happened again. Weird.

Good luck
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #14  
started IP 1.11.11

Thanks for all the responses. I saw my gyno today. Everything looked good exam wise. He had me get my blood drawn to rule out thyroid issues. He, too, believes it's extra estrogen releasing in my fat cells (though he had a fancy word for it). The best thing- he was SO impressed and wrote down IP so he could check it out and was very encouraging to keep going. I told him I'd be my goal weight of 170 at my yearly in August. He also gave me to "go ahead" to quit BCPs and see if my cycle regulates. But to be careful to use back up protection. Funny thing for an infertile gal to hear.

p.s. Of course I stopped bleeding yesterday. Wouldn't you know it?!

Last edited by ash825; 03-17-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #15  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash825 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I saw my gyno today. Everything looked good exam wise. He had me get my blood drawn to rule out thyroid issues. He, too, believes it's extra estrogen releasing in my fat cells (though he had a fancy word for it). The best thing- he was SO impressed and wrote down IP so he could check it out and was very encouraging to keep going. I told him I'd be my goal weight of 170 at my yearly in August. He also gave me to "go ahead" to quit BCPs and see if my cycle regulates. But to be careful to use back up protection. Funny thing for an infertile gal to hear.

p.s. Of course I stopped bleeding yesterday. Wouldn't you know it?!

That is soooo exciting! It feels so good when others provide such positive feedback. Keep up the good work and i'm glad to hear it was nothing too serious!
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote