Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 08:39 PM   #1  

Default How does protein powder added to food taste?

I am very leery of making pro-oatmeal, or adding protein powder to things like my cottage cheese. How does this taste? Is it real gritty?

I am trying to up my protein intake, and I keep seeing people adding this to their food so I thought I would ask

Robin
Old 04-27-2003, 09:21 PM   #2  
Banned

Robin, proatmeal is one of my favorite meals. I cook a serving of steel cut oats, then add a serving of protein powder to the pan and then mix well. I usually use chocolate protein powder and add a couple drops of peppermint extract. I usually also add a tablespoon of Udo's and when I'm in cycle three I add two tablespoons of coconut oil, too. It doesn't taste grainy at all.

I wouldn't dream of ruining my cottage cheese with protein powder. I'm sure people do, but it doesn't sound appetizing to me. Then again I've never wanted to blend my cottage cheese either! It should work ok, though. When I was eating yogurt (yellow carb), I tried adding protein powder to that. I'd add sugar free syrup to it and top with fruit. This tends to taste a little grainy, especially if you put much protein powder in.

I'm interested in finding out what other ways everyone has to add protein powder to their meals, too!

Deb
Old 04-27-2003, 09:47 PM   #3  

I will have to try that

Now, when you say a serving, do you mean a scoop? A serving of MET Rx PP is 3 scoops I have vanilla, and it tastes pretty decent.

I keep hearing about steel cut oats. Where do you get these? I have good ol Quaker Oats, not the instant but the regular. I also have a multi-grain hot cereal.

I see that you use Vitamin World's house brand of PP. Is that a good one? Have you ever used GNC's house brand? I have heard some of them dont mix well is why I ask.

Robin
Old 04-28-2003, 09:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

okay, don't try protein powder and applesauce. it just don't work!
Old 04-28-2003, 09:21 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I've added CC to protein shake, all it does is thickens the shake and it's very good...IMO
Old 04-30-2003, 10:31 AM   #6  
Banned

Robin, when I say serving I need however much it takes to get my protein requirement for the meal. In Cycle 3 I was using two scoops.

Check out your health food store for steel cut oats in bulk. I get mine for $ .59 lb. steel cut oats are also known as Irish oats and are sold packaged. I will buy steel cut oats prepackaged because it's too expensive. When I run out or the health food store is out, I pick up some old-fashioned Quaker Oats. They aren't as good as steel cut oats, but they will do in a pinch.

Vitamin World has two house brands of protein powder. I really can't tell the difference between them, but the cheaper one have a little more protein per serving so I have been using it. The brands are Precision Engineered and Value Whey. All three flavors are okay, if you are making shakes and adding flavors and fruit. That's the way I make them. If you're just adding water and mixing in a shaker you won't be impressed by the taste. BTW, VW has 30% off discount days the first Monday and Tuesday of the month, so you should shop then. Also, watch your Sunday paper for coupons from them. Every once in a while they will have paid in there in one coupon will be 50% off of 1 VW brand product.

I've never bought protein powder from GMC; it's too expensive. When you're mixing a shaker, add the protein powder after you put the water in or it won't mix well.

Tiki, lol..you actually tried that?

Ilene, I agree, cottage cheese is OK in a shake.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

yep, i tried it. my daughter likes that berry flavored applesauce and so do i so i thought, hey, add strawberry protein powder to it. blech! i am from the old school - you make it, you eat it - so i got most of it down anyway.

i use VitWorld's protein powders - chocolate and strawberry. i mix a banana in with the chocolate and i use pink lemonade crystal light with the strawberry.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:22 AM   #8  
Mel

Default Gross!

IMHO, Protein powder is great in pp shakes. Period. Proatmeal tastes like what I imagine wall spakle or driveway sealing gook would taste like. I know you're aiming for around 260 g per day- I get about 160 from real food, so if you added 2 2scoop shakes to that, you should easily hit your numbers.

mel
Old 04-30-2003, 11:53 AM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Mmm...spackle...

Mel! You just reminded me of a recent Jack in the Box commercial - didja see it - the one where they are using McDonald's shakes to spackle the outside of a house?!? (well they didn't SAY McD's but that was the implication). It was to promote their 'new' real ice-cream milk shakes. (I don't even know if y'all HAVE Jack in the Box in PA!)

I guess it all comes down to:

1) your taste
2) the kind of PP you're using
3) sheer desperation

Personally, I don't mind Proatmeal made with MetRx Protein Plus Chocolate flavor...with a little chunky peanut butter tossed in. Haven't had it in awhile though...my taste might have changed. (I don't really care for the taste of GROW! even though I know that lots of folks out there like it!)
Old 04-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #10  
Meg

Default Mel!

Spackle? Driveway gook??? To me, pro-oatmeal is HEAVEN -- it is my favorite meal of the day. Yum .... chocolate GROW! in oatmeal tastes like a warm oatmeal cookie .... or at least what I remember them tasting like. Hmmm ... this raises the question -- have I been on a diet for too long??? Have I permanently damaged my taste buds? Next thing I'll start mixing protein powder in my cottage cheese -- oops -- do that already

Meg
Old 04-30-2003, 01:39 PM   #11  

What can I say I am still afraid of doing the pro oatmeal thing. I guess I will just have to break down and try it. I only have vanilla PP right now though.

Deb, I already add 2 scoops of PP to my shakes to make them 70 gms of protein. Usually for breakfast, sometimes later in the day.

We have a store here called Vitamin Shoppe......they have a web site too. Their products are 20-50 pcnt off every day, plus I do have the GNC card which gets me a discount the first week of every month. I asked the lady at vitamin world about the card..she said I had to spend $25 to get one and I was just buying a few things.

I will have to try chocolate in oatmeal....I will let you know how it tastes!!

Robin
Old 04-30-2003, 01:46 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Robin - check vitaglo.com - I'll bet the prices are lower than Vitamin Shoppe's. And they have free shipping too!

The GNC around here is WAY expensive...they sell a box of Myo Lite (20 pack) for $42 and I can get the same thing online for $22, or a 40 serving box for $47.

Just FYI...
Old 04-30-2003, 02:52 PM   #13  

Have you had problems with Vitalgo? I have heard some not-so-good stories about them and their service.

Robin
Old 04-30-2003, 03:18 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

I've NEVER had a problem with Vitaglo...and I've been ordering from them for well over two years now. I actually prefer them to Netrition, not only are their prices a bit better but they don't use styrofoam in shipping...they re-use boxes, shredded newspapers, etc. I LOATHE those styrofoam peanuts...almost impossible to recycle and they fill up our garbage can very quickly.

Another tip - use your Visa card to order stuff (debit or credit) and if you have a service problem or don't get your order, you can always do a chargeback through the issuing bank if necessary!
Old 04-30-2003, 03:54 PM   #15  

Hey Mrs. Jim, thanks for the ordering info...I just saved a ton of $ by ordering the Myoplex from Vitaglo. I've been buying it at GNC....I'm learning, slowly but surely.
Closed Thread