Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #1  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

Default Seroquel

I am on this medication Seroquel and it makes me gain weight. It makes me crave sugar and messes up my metabolism. I have to eat healthy and exercise just to MAINTAIN my current weight.(but I am overweight) I have been maintaining for over 4 months and it is work.My trainer says I need to work double as hard as everyone else to lose weight. I am upset about it but I am trying to lose weight. Is anyone else on this medication? Are there any tips you can suggest>
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #2  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

Height: 5'7"

I was on Seroquel years ago. And it is what caused me to gain most of my weight.

I'm assuming you take it at night? Are you going to sleep right away after taking it? I would stay up, end up being loopy as anything and binging on whatever I could get my hands on. It was like the prescription version of weed. And while I am thankful it helped me with my depression, the side effect of weight gain is nasty. But, I wasn't helping that either.. because I wouldn't go to sleep right away and would end up with the munchies at 2am.

So... are you taking it at night and going to sleep right away?

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #3  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

Yes I go to sleep right after I take it
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/225/150

Height: 5'7"

I was on seroquel at one point too (I'm bipolar). It made me gain weight as well. The thing is, there aren't many psychiatric medications that don't have weight gain as one of the potential side effects. I've been on zyprexa, celexa, lithium, wellbutrin, risperidone, ativan...the list goes on and have gained weight with most of them (celexa and zyprexa being the worst for me). Your trainer is right, you're going to have to work harder than other people to get the weight off but just think about how great it will feel to know that you've done it. And the main thing you need to be concerned about with regards to your medication is whether or not it is working for your mental health concerns. For me, I believe that if it is its worth being on because I'd rather be fat and sane than thin and crazy. Good luck with your weight loss! I wish you all the best.
cori is offline   Reply With Quote