Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #1  
Geek

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy What do you do to keep your mind off food?

I just started my weight loss journey (for real) this weekend. So it's only been two days. And I've been hungry. I know why. I used to eat so much at a time that I would be bursting at the seams. Now I am eating healthier food, spread out through the day. My body isn't used to this, so I am feeling hungry.

I think some of it is also psychological. I know that I changed my eating habits and somehow I can't get my mind off of food.

What do you do to take your mind off of food? Does it get easier? Will I one day not think about McDonald's breakfast when I first wake up in the morning? That would be nice...
Phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #2  
On a mission

S/C/G: 14/14/7 (sizes)

Height: 5'2

Honestly ...
When I can't get food off of my mind I grab a glass of water and I picture what the fit version of me looks like.
I also look at the before and after pictures here on the site.I know it sounds trite but it helps.
It does get easier
Out of curiosity are you following a plan?
Mindless Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/200/150

Height: 5'4"

I've been an overeater for 45 years and on this WOE 2 years. I still constantly think about food. Sit in front of the TV looking at weight loss programs (Heavy, Biggest Looser, Fat @ 15...) and think about food.

I have not been able to find a replacement. Just have to stay the course.
LastYearOver200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I don't think about food much anymore, just when I get hungry. For those days when it was a real nuisance, I'd drink water, brush my teeth, do crossword puzzles, chew gum, clean a closet, pull the fridge out and clean behind it -- cleaning solves a lot of problems AND you get something awesome at the end of it LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Trust me it will get easier! Some days are better than others, and I will admit that it is not an easy task, but as each day goes by you will prove something to yourself that indeed is more rewarding than the food. This is the longest I have stuck to a weight loss journey and the hardest thing has been the food, not working out so I completely understand your dilemma. Good Luck!
NubiaxRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #6  
On a mission

S/C/G: 14/14/7 (sizes)

Height: 5'2

Chewing gum and cleaning closets is a great idea!
Mindless Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I still struggle a whole lot. I have recently started drawing on a sketch pad using pastels or colored pencils and as silly as that sounds, it helps to relax me. I just started doing it so I'm not sure if it'll stop a binge or not, but I'll keep ya'll posted!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I get busy doing the things I have been procrastinating about. Usually, I'm so consumed with that project that I forget about food.
skyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #9  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

I know it is rough. I still have food fantasies. I have good day's and bad day's as far as the hungry cravings go. The first month is really hard. Your body is getting adjusted to your new way of life.
I would suggest keeping a journal. In mine I post the date, weight, menus, calories, exercise and feelings I have. I also took all my measurements- from my neck to my ankles. It has been really exciting watching those numbers come down. The scale is not the only way of knowing that you are losing and toning up.
Also be sure to eat lots of fruit, veggies, grilled/baked/broiled fish and chicken, skim milk, water, eggs, oatmeal, etc. Eat real food- healthy foods not empty calories. If you slip up or have a bad binge- it's not the end. Just shake it off and tomorrow is a new day. Don't let one bad day keep you from working towards your goals.
It is a journey filled with incredible joys... and sad, lonely lows. But it is so worth it. I still have a ways to go but I am taking it 5 Lbs. at a time
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #10  
Geek

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for all the tips! I know it will get better.

Games -- I am following Weight Watchers. I had some success on it in 2005, and I still have all the literature. It still allows me to eat what I like, though it is an adjustment from my former way of eating which was pretty much something small for breakfast, a huge lunch and a binge for dinner. Crazy!
Phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Paint your nails! Cant snack with wet nails.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I clean too! I don't think my house has ever been as clean. I even vacuumed out DH's workshop the other day for the 3rd time since I started this journey. Another thing I like to do is go and try on clothes...even when I was starting out I would look at clothes I would love to be able to fit into. Now I try on clothes and try to convince myself not to buy everything!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I try to make sure to have loads of good healthy recipes on hand so that I can make delicious healthy food. That way, I miss the delicious, unhealthy food a bit less. It takes a lot of effort to find those good recipes (that I like and feel confident cooking), so it's a good way to use the focus on food productively. However, on days when I'm really struggling, it's dangerous to look at recipes...so I have to gauge where I am to avoid making it worse!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh yeah, it gets easier, but until it does it's hard!! I hated the obsessing I used to do too.

I made sure to eat six mini meals so I was eating more frequently. That helped tremendously and eventually I was satisfied enough I wasn't thinking about food.

Also, keep busy. I never think about food when I'm busy. In fact, sometimes I forget to eat if I'm so busy! My worst food-thinking times are when I'm at the computer or watching TV.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #15  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

try cleaning your teeth really well. flossing, whitening even sometimes. or clean with rubber gloves on.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote