Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #1  
MeTime

S/C/G: 421/287/220

Height: 5'10

Default Red Team NYNY 2011 Chat Thread Week 9 (3/7-3/13)

Another week is upon us.

Congratulations to our losers last week.

8 freebies used and 2 more players eliminated as official members.

Be back with your results tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone in week 9.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #2  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

WAY TO HANG iN THERE RED TEAM
LOOKS LiKE WE ARE STiLL 25 TEAM MEMBERS STRONG!!

WOOHOO!!!

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

1st PLACE
JAYTEE 14.03% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

2nd PLACE
SiNDAENA 12.61% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

3rd PLACE
MADAMBUTTERFLY 9.47% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

4th PLACE
SKiNNYCOW126 8.46% OF BODY FAT GONE

5th PLACE
PEANUTT 7.84% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

6th PLACE
RAiNBOWSMiLES 7.69% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

7th PLACE
ICEQUEEN 7.12% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

8th PLACE
DESIDOO 6.94% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

9th PLACE
CHARLIEJUNE 6.67% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

10th PLACE
WENDYCHIC 5.61% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

11th PLACE
WEN 5.58% OF BODY FAT GONE!!!

12th PLACE
GETTiNFiT 4.97% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

13TH PLACE
SHADES OF GREY 4.74% OF BODY FAT GONE

14TH PLACE
ANGiE 4.48% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

15TH PLACE
POKEYCACTUS 4.33% OF BODY FAT GONE

16TH PLACE
BETTE K 3.31% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

17TH PLACE (TiE)
BLUEEYES65 3.16% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

17TH PLACE (TiE)
CANADAMEL 3.16% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

19TH PLACE
KRiS2008 2.43% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

20TH PLACE
LADYiNWEiGHTiNG 2.00% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

21ST PLACE
COURTNEYDAiSY 1.86% OF BODY FAT GONE!

22ND PLACE
CHERRYPiE 1.79% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

23RD PLACE
RATED 1.71% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

24TH PLACE
LAViEBOHEME73 1.17% OF BODY FAT GONE!

25TH PLACE
SHAN84 -.74%

BiG SHOUTOUT OF AN HONORABLE MENTiON TO AN UNOFFiCiAL MEMBER
WHO HAS NEVER MiSSED A WEiGH iN!!
MYBODYiSMYTEMPLE 8.23% OF BODY FAT GONE!!

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 03-07-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #3  
MeTime

Week Eight Results

Red Team lbs and percentage lost -12.20lbs, -.22%

Biggest Loser
JayTee, -3lbs, -1.53%

Honorable Mentions:
skinnycow126, -2lbs, -1.07%
cherrypie, -3lbs, -1.34%
Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #4  
MeTime

From shape.com magazine online: 7 Diet Myths Debunked

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/die...facts-revealed

What are your thoughts?

Their list:
1. Only eat when you're hungry.
2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation.
3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body.
4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food.
5. Certain diets can banish cellulite.
6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet.
7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied.

I'm still processing my own thoughts. I'll respond tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great start to the week.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

Height: 5'5"

GOOD MORNING RED TEAM!!!!

Congrats to JayTee for being our Biggest Loser this week!

Congrats to our honorable mentions, SkinnyCow and Cherrypie!

Keep up the awesome work everyone!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #6  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

Happy Monday all!!! It's the start of a new week, so regardless of where we were last week, let's make this one a good one!!!

Shan- I follow WW PointsPlus and absolutely love it! I think the free fruits/vegetables might be a little scary for someone who did calorie counting for so long, but I really do think it's a great program and if you switch I am sure you will have success.

Off the top of my head, some thoughts on the diet myths...

1. If I wait until I am hungry to eat, I eat far too much.
2. Food might not be bad, but some foods just aren't worth their cost.
3. I actually try to eat lowish carbs, but not to flush out calories. Instead I find that if I eat less carbs I am less hungry.
4. I have saved a bunch of money by eating on plan. It's way cheaper for me to plan my meals ahead than to eat on the go.
5. I believe this.
6. I guess I have been obsessing over protein for nothing.
7. I have always heard this, but I don't think all fats were created equally.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #7  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Congrats to JayTee, SkinnyCow and CherryPie!!

My thoughts on the diet myths:
1. Only eat when you're hungry. I'm like SkinnyCow. If I wait to eat until I'm hungry, I will be more likely to overeat. I eat at my 5-6 regular times instead.
2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation. I both agree and disagree! There are bad foods. What good is a potato chip (their example)? But potato chips can be enjoyed in moderation in a healthy lifestyle, just like other "bad foods".
3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body. I've read similar info before about what the body does on a low carb diet. I know many people have had success with low carb diets, especially in that 2-3 week start phase, but it's not for me in the long run. I try to control my carb intake for a variety of reasons.
4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food. So glad they debunked this myth! When I hear people talking about the "high cost" of healthy food, I often remind them of the higher costs of an overweight/unhealthy body.
5. Certain diets can banish cellulite. I don't understand the fixation on cellulite. Yes tabloids, everyone has it.
6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet. I actually think that some people doing some kinds of training do need extra protein (depending on what they're eating normally, of course). It's something that should be given attention.
7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied. I've never heard this myth that fat keeps you full. Everything I've ever heard and read always points to fiber and protein to fill you up. We do need some fats in our diet though.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #8  
SARGE

S/C/G: 224.5/ticker/165

Height: 5'11"

Morning All and Congrats to all of us still on board the train, so to speak!

Re: Diet myths debunked... I believe every point the article makes is valid. Over the years I think I bought into every myth at one time or another but what I always come back to is knowing my own mind and body. If my head isn't truly "into" dropping the pounds, it's not going to happen. I struggled at the beginning of this challenge because my head was in the game, but my body wasn't dropping the pounds like I knew I had been able to do before. I learned there is truth to myth 8--losing weight over age 50 is a nightmare! To achieve some results I turned to good old fashioned calories in/calories out and learned a few new things about how our bodies operate...

Here's a an article I used to calculate what my body needed to lose weight:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

To track expended calories each week I mostly use gym machines that give me a read out of the calories I burned during my time on that machine. I only use the machines that allow me to enter my own body weight and age.
Then, of course, I had to turn to calorie tracking. I don't pass up anything, and even have a glass of wine most nights.

Continued good luck to all of us this week, especially those struggling a bit. Don't give up! Dig in!!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #9  

Results are posted Blue Team got it for week 8

Congratulations to the Week 8 Biggest Losers on Red

Have a great week 9 everyone
Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #10  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

CONGRATULATIONS JAY TEE !!!!

AND TO SKINNYCOW & CHERRY PIE TOOO !!!

Another week is starting and it's time we get our BUTT-ers in GEAR . . .

Shan: Great article

Rainbow: Thanks for figuring out all those percentages I want that 10% . . . I'll have to crank it up and roll it out . . . I'm gonna do it

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT DAY AND WEEK!!! LET'S MELT SOME BUTT-ER!!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #11  
Restarting AGAIN

S/C/G: 167/114/140/see ticker/105

Height: not quite 5'

1. Only eat when you're hungry. I think this depends on whether you tend to binge if you wait to eat until you are really hungry.
2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation. Well, some foods are not filling and likely not worth their cost from my daily calorie allotment, but still, I do thinkn anything can be eaten occasionally and in moderation.
3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body. Low carb works for most people because it they tend to be less hungry and consume fewer calories as a result of that and the restricted food list.
4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food. Yes and no. Eating less food is generally cheaper, but it can cost more to feed a family of six including growing teenagers a healthy diet than say Ramen and boxed Man n Cheese.
5. Certain diets can banish cellulite. Everyone has cellulite, and cellulite is fat, you can reduce it or by lowering body fat far enough, which may be lower than you want to be for other reasons.
6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet. Based on hours scouring published research on PubMed, you do need extra protein if you are trying to build muscle. This particularly comes into play in later stages of diet when bodyfat is lower and so called newbie gains in muscle have been exhausted.
7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied. You need fat in your diet. Not only do you need essential fats, but many of your hormones, as well as skin and hair health, require adequate fat consumption.

So, I guess I am contrarian, but I do research nutrition via actual published research not just somebody on some message board told me. I think that Shape significantly oversimplified some of the issues on their list, particularly with regards to fat and protein.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #12  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindaena View Post
1. Only eat when you're hungry. I think this depends on whether you tend to binge if you wait to eat until you are really hungry.
2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation. Well, some foods are not filling and likely not worth their cost from my daily calorie allotment, but still, I do thinkn anything can be eaten occasionally and in moderation.
3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body. Low carb works for most people because it they tend to be less hungry and consume fewer calories as a result of that and the restricted food list.
4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food. Yes and no. Eating less food is generally cheaper, but it can cost more to feed a family of six including growing teenagers a healthy diet than say Ramen and boxed Man n Cheese.
5. Certain diets can banish cellulite. Everyone has cellulite, and cellulite is fat, you can reduce it or by lowering body fat far enough, which may be lower than you want to be for other reasons.
6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet. Based on hours scouring published research on PubMed, you do need extra protein if you are trying to build muscle. This particularly comes into play in later stages of diet when bodyfat is lower and so called newbie gains in muscle have been exhausted.
7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied. You need fat in your diet. Not only do you need essential fats, but many of your hormones, as well as skin and hair health, require adequate fat consumption.

So, I guess I am contrarian, but I do research nutrition via actual published research not just somebody on some message board told me. I think that Shape significantly oversimplified some of the issues on their list, particularly with regards to fat and protein.
thanks so much sindaena....i learn soooo much from your posts!!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 258/Ticker/199

Hey everyone, still here. I missed last night's weigh in. I was at a conference and didn't get back in time to post. It's my TOM, so it was probably a good week to use a freebie. I'm swamped but just wanted to check in and tell everyone hey! Congrats to everyone for doing so well this past week! GO RED!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #14  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Hi all,

Still trying to break my plateau and hoping for the best tomorrow.

Their list:
1. Only eat when you're hungry. For me, planning is key, I eat on a schedule and it helps me to not let my appetite or cravings get out of control.
2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation. I aspire to this, but right now, some things are off limits to me, because I don't practice moderation when they enter the picture. Yeah, I'm talking about you, you delicious salty potato chips. You're out of my life until I'm really over you.
3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body. My plan is low carb, and it works better for me than anything I've tried previously.
4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food. Yes my grocery bill has ballooned with all the fresh food I buy, and I don't think twice about it. I'd give up a lot of other things (buy fewer clothes/shoes, drive an older car, take fewer vacations) before I'd feed my DS and myself less healthy food. In the end though I think I don't spend any more to eat healthy since when I'm on plan I eat out less...I never buy lunch in the cafeteria anymore and we don't often go to restaurants.
5. Certain diets can banish cellulite. Really? Haven't read the article yet...sound myth-ish to me.
6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet.
7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied. I don't know about everyone, but I do like a little fat in my diet. My plan now is low fat (and low sodium, and low carb) but there is definitely room for good fats like extra virgin olive oil.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #15  
MeTime

Their list and my thoughts:

1. Only eat when you're hungry. I cannot do this because then I overeat. I prefer to schedule my food and much of it has to do with my job. I always eat morning snack with my students as well as lunch. Usually I have breakfast before I leave home and then dinner right when I get home so that my stomach is settled at night before I go to the gym. This is just what works for me.
2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation. I know there are reason's some people agree and other's disagree with this one. For me, I cannot have the bad food because I have trouble with the word moderation. If I eat a few slices of pizza then I want the whole pizza, or I want pizza for a couple days. So for me, I have to stay on plan or I can easily go way off plan. It's black and white on this one matter for me.
3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body. My body doesn't do well with most carbs because white bread, rice, or cereal just turns into some more padding on my body. Haha. I do my best to avoid them at all costs and when I do have carbs I use fiber wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.
4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food. It's expensive to eat crap food. It's more beneficial to eat the healthy food. I loved the antedote that rainbowsmiles posted last week about the coupon buys. I definitely think healthy food is more budget friendly especially if you look for it and plan ahead.
5. Certain diets can banish cellulite. (I don't really have an opinion on this one, fat on my body is fat on my body no matter what you call it, I don't want it there anymore).
6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet. When I workout I don't need more protein, I generally need more water. This is just me personally.
7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied. I have enough fat on my body. I don't eat fat to have fat in my diet. I use extra virgin olive oil for cooking, and sometimes peanut butter, but thats about it. If I'm not satisfied it usually means I didn't drink enough water during the day.

Hope everyone had a good Monday. I'm halfway thru Tuesday here in SK. It's been a really rough day at work and I am struggling with my emotions. I have been on plan with food for two days straight now this week. I have everything planned out for the rest of the week so there is no reason for me to go off plan unless I self sabatoge and I'm determined to have a good weigh in this week. Off to the gym tonight after work. Have a good one everybody.