General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #1  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default new iPad

Is anybody getting the iPad 2? Looks great! I would love to replace mine but I think I will upgrade my iPhone this summer and wait for iPad 3. But I would loooove to have the new iPad.

The Apple geek has spoken ;-)

Last edited by josey; 03-02-2011 at 05:09 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #2  
Closet skinny chick! :)

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

Love love LOVE the new one. The major qualm I had with the first is how heavy it was.. well, not HEAVY per se, but compared to my Kindle the weight difference was pretty obvious. Plus I didn't want to be an overly early adopter since my iPhone pretty much did everything the iPad could do, just on a smaller scale Although with the addition of the camera I might need to talk to DH about how we can fit it into the budget - it would be so awesome to veg out on the couch and Skype rather than needing to be at my desk!
Chantelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I may get an iPad but I'm going to wait because last thing I read is that there is supposedly something being announced in September/October and supposedly its a smaller iPad.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #4  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

I am not very "techy" but husband has shown interest in the IPad. He is even less "techy" than I am, as in only looking up certain web sites online, e-mailing and that is it. But he has heard of a daily newspaper for the IPad..and being a newshound this appeals to him.
My question is....do you need a cell phone type connection for Ipad, or is the household WiFi enough?

I have a new Kindle and love it, but I must admit I have not been able to connect to my household WiFi. I can use the wireless included on it, but not connect to mine. Strange and I don't know if I will ever need to connect to it, I just thought I should set it up.

Weighing the options.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #5  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suetalks View Post
I am not very "techy" but husband has shown interest in the IPad. He is even less "techy" than I am, as in only looking up certain web sites online, e-mailing and that is it. But he has heard of a daily newspaper for the IPad..and being a newshound this appeals to him.
My question is....do you need a cell phone type connection for Ipad, or is the household WiFi enough?

I have a new Kindle and love it, but I must admit I have not been able to connect to my household WiFi. I can use the wireless included on it, but not connect to mine. Strange and I don't know if I will ever need to connect to it, I just thought I should set it up.

Weighing the options.
Hi Sue,

I think the iPad is great for email, surfing, news etc. You don'tneed a cell phone connection. There are two versions out, one you can hook up to any wifi, the other to any wifi but also to AT&T or Verizon cell networks (extra costs). Do you have an Apple store close by? The staff is usually very knowledgable and helpful. Just check it out.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #6  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I may get an iPad but I'm going to wait because last thing I read is that there is supposedly something being announced in September/October and supposedly its a smaller iPad.
I doubt the 3rd one will be out before 2012. But hey, you never know eh?
One thing would really shock me is a smaller one. Makes no sense in the product line up for me and might be a problem for apps scaling.

Last edited by josey; 03-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #7  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey124 View Post
One thing would really shock me is a smaller one. Makes no sense in the product line up for me and might be a problem for apps scaling.
It would take a little digging to find the articles I was reading a couple weeks ago but they mentioned that the latest OS update included settings for a higher resolution screen than both the ipad 1 and ipad 2. An "insider" also said that there was a prototype for a higher resolution screen currently at apple with no word on the size. Apple also expects to make a big announcement at the end of summer. So the speculation is that it would be a smaller iPad to compete with 7" models. It is speculation but seems to make sense, release a smaller version right before Christmas.

Oh here is one of the main things I was reading.
http://daringfireball.net/2011/02/the_next_six_months
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #8  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
To back up my statement on an iPad 3:
Apple has grounded speculation of a fall release of "iPad 3," focusing its marketing message on the iPad 2 it will soon offer for sale by calling 2011 "the year of iPad 2." (via Appleinsider)

Last edited by josey; 03-03-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #9  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
It would take a little digging to find the articles I was reading a couple weeks ago but they mentioned that the latest OS update included settings for a higher resolution screen than both the ipad 1 and ipad 2. An "insider" also said that there was a prototype for a higher resolution screen currently at apple with no word on the size. Apple also expects to make a big announcement at the end of summer. So the speculation is that it would be a smaller iPad to compete with 7" models. It is speculation but seems to make sense, release a smaller version right before Christmas.

Oh here is one of the main things I was reading.
http://daringfireball.net/2011/02/the_next_six_months
I read that too but I still think a smaller iPad wouldn't make much sense. The size right now is right between iPhone & laptops. What is the benefit with a smaller screen? If I want ultra portable I use the iPhone. But again, that's my opinion. Nobody but Apple knows and even most of Apple's staff wouldn't know.
On the Retina display rumours, I am sure Apple is looking into that (prototype etc) and I am sure they are already working on iPad 3 since iPad 2 development has to be done for a while if they are ready to ship on March 11.

Last edited by josey; 03-03-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #10  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I want it so much. SO MUCH.

I think about other things I could buy with that money -- a new suit for work, or a bike, or a trip to Latin America -- and I still want it.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 03-03-2011 at 10:35 AM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #11  
Just Me

Quote:
I read that too but I still think a smaller iPad wouldn't make much sense. The size right now is right between iPhone & laptops. What is the benefit with a smaller screen? If I want ultra portable I use the iPhone. But again, that's my opinion. Nobody but Apple knows and even most of Apple's staff wouldn't know.
On the Retina display rumours, I am sure Apple is looking into that (prototype etc) and I am sure they are already working on iPad 3 since iPad 2 development has to be done for a while if they are ready to ship on March 11.
Well I think the link I posted said that it wouldn't be considered the iPad 3, just another version of the iPad 2. And the reason would be that there are other 7" tablets on the market or coming on the market soon. There are also color eBook readers that are 7" as well.

Although yeah it is just speculation So we'd have to wait until September/October to see what the big release will be.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #12  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Thank you...I am sending hubby to the Apple store to get his answers....Just see that they also sell it at Target, but don't know how up on it the salespeople would be.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #13  
Sassy, Classy, & Badassey

S/C/G: 239/221.8/135-ish?

Height: 5'5

I want one! I think I'm going to set up a weight loss goal reward thing to buy one... like when I lose 50 pounds total or something. So it'll be awhile... but it'll also be awhile before I can afford one!
badassey is offline   Reply With Quote