General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Height: 5'6

Question Sugars from Fruit

Hello all! Im new at dieting & calorie counting, & so far I've done very well at cutting my portions & eating in half. I have a few questions though regarding fruit. I LOVE Fruit, simply because I love sweets .. Candy & Desserts are my vice, especialyl candy. I used to eat a bag of starbursts every other day! .. anyway I've gotten to the point that when Im craving something sweet or sugary, I grab a honeycrisp apple, or an orange, some kind of fruit.. sometime I'll grab a nutrigrain bar. ... I never used to eat breakfast in the mornings because it makes me sluggish, but I've gotten to the point to where I can eat a few strawberries & be fine...

My question is, should I be concerned with the amount of sugars in fruit? I love pears as well, but I noticed usually those will have 15 or 16 grams of sugar in one medium pear... honeycrisp apples have a lot too.. Is it bad to eat TOO MUCH fruit??

P H A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

some people have experienced cravings from eating high sugar fruit. you could try eating fruit low on the glycemic index such as berries. or combining the fruit with some protein to slow the sugar spikes. like fruit with yogurt.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #3  

Eating too much of anything is bad. Sugar in fruit is not the same as sugar in sweets. It doesn't cause your blood sugar to spike. Try having some protein in the morning - it won't make you sluggish. A HB Egg or yougurt is not heavy. You need more than a few strawberries. The aim is to keep our blood sugar stable all day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #4  

thank you guys for the tips.. I HATE Yogurt.. LoL & I know thats one of the things people always say to eat in the mornings with a little granola or fresh fruit .... i just dont like yogurt, I cant get over the smell, I dunno ... its weird to me.... wow changing how you eat is way trickier than I thought .. I will definitely get my serving of protein in the morning & see how that makes me feel...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like pairing fruit with nuts. Although I do eat fruit as a general snack.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by P H A T View Post
.... wow changing how you eat is way trickier than I thought ..
If you think of change as "tricky," it can be intimidating and frustrating. It doesn't have to be "tricky" at all. You just have to be willing to experiment.

Yes you can overdo fruit, but I'd guess there isn't anything on the planet that you can't overdo. You can even overdose on water (it takes an awful lot of water for a normal person, but it can be done, and it can be deadly).

You have to experiment to discover how much is too much? It could be three pieces, it could be twelve. It could (and probably does) depend on what else you're eating.

A great tool for trial and error is a food journal that not only documents what you're eating, when and in which amounts, but also your hunger and how you're feeling mentally and physically.

You'll start to see patterns, and you'll make adjustments according to the patterns you see. No big deal. Not really tricky, just trial and error as you go.

I'm constantly doing little experiments, and some of them fail, but that's ok. You can't be so afraid to fail that you're intimidated away from trying.

I learned that I can't eat fruit as breakfast in itself. I have to add a litte fat and protein. If I eat only fruit, it can make me a little nauseous and it always makes me REALLY hungry in an hour so. Even as a kid, I could never eat pancakes or donuts for breakfast without getting sick to my stomach. Now that I'm on a lower carb diet, fruit-only breakfasts sometimes give me a similar but milder reaction.

In the last couple years of experimenting, I've learned alot about what works best for me, and I'm still experimenting and learning. I imagine I may do so forever. It's not really tricky so much as life. Everything you learn about (from your job to your hobbies to the people in your life) you learn through trial and error... Getting an idea, trying it, seeing what happens and adjusting your behavior accordingly - and repeating the process over and over from the day you're born to the day you die.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #7  

thank you so much. I was just talking to someone at work & he pretty much said the same as you.. it varies from person to person, you just have the basic things you KNOW is good for you & you just do combinations within your limits... thank you for your input