Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default Heavy

Hi! Did anyone watch tonight? I found it SO HARD to watch with the woman so deep in denial ! "I'm NOT hiding food" as she digs out a jar of peanut butter from a laundry basket in the back of her closet! I want to see an update on her, I feel like she's going to gain back all the weight, especially with a pregnancy that she's hoping for. ugh these shows are so hard to watch sometimes - I want to 'flash forward' and see how they do in life!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #2  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

I saw it. Really strange, that woman. "I'm not hiding it. There's no cause for concern. I only put it there because they won't allow me to have it. I'm not hiding it."
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #3  
committed

She lost 10 more pounds because her doctor told her to before starting a pregnancy. The other 3 people (I watched 2 shows) were all "maintaining" their weight loss 3 months later. What's with that? They all had more weight to lose.

I liked the old shows better, where they stayed at the facility a certain amount of time, then went home and learned to continue their weight loss journey in real life.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

piper10, Im with you. I really liked the other style of show better. I really dont like the yelling in your face trainers and 6 months at a facility then dump them back at home to be on their own. Its too extreme.

The lady was heartbreaking to me. I was cringing watching her deny that she was hiding food. It was hard to watch, for sure.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I agree - 6 months at a facility is fantasy land. I much prefer the 2 month stay to get the 'basics' down and then they pop you back into your real life while watching out for you and intervene if necessary. I hope the other set of trainers come back at some point
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #6  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I didn't watch last night's ep yet (it's DVR'd for tonight though)...but I agree, I like the old format better. Do they have ANY follow up for the participants after they go home under the new format? I don't see how they're going to keep the weight off (let alone lose more) on their own if they haven't learned how to deal with the "real" world.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #7  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I liked the "old" episodes better two. I find the PTs terrible at that facility and staying in a perfect weight loss world doesn't compare to real life. That one woman who was hiding food was quite interesting. I am not sure if she will make it. I agree with the comment that all of them have to lose more weight after the 6 months. Maintaining is good but they are not done yet.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #8  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

I do not like the new format At All. I predict that Jill will be back at her original weight, or higher, within a year or two.

I agree with what piper10 said about the fact that the SC participants are "maintaining" when they're still pretty far from a healthy weight. They just don't seem to have been provided with tools to transition to a healthy lifestyle at home.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #9  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Just watched the latest episode and I agree with everything everyone said!

Man, that food-hider worries me. I mean, even at my highest weight and as much denial as I tried to be in, I don't think I could have mustered that outraged, indignant reaction she had to being busted with the peanut butter. The best I'd have been able to manage would have been a sheepish apology for breaking the rules.

I get that a person can lose weight and still eat pb/trail mix/peanut butter pretzels from time to time, but the hiding thing might require a bit more work on her part -- don't think she's in the clear on that one yet.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

I agree with all of the comments so far, especially the living at the facility for 6 months. I really do think that the other format is giving the participants the tools that they need to make it at home. I wa sooooo proud of young John! Not only did he do a great job, he`s gone ahead and found his life`s work, career, vocation while there I don`t like the new screaming in the face trainers either
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, I think her mentality was this:

"Here at the facility, these rules are SOOOO stringent, I'm dying for something off plan. I have to hide it because it is against the rules. I won't be hiding food at home, because I'll be able to have a jar of PB in my house and if I eat 2 tablespoons once a week as a treat, that would be OK. So I am going to behave as though I am already in maintenance".

So I get why she was saying that she wasn't hiding the food, even though she was. The fact she could not admit she was an addict for so long astounded me.

But, I agree that this "mentality" is a slippery slope and she needed to get real. Right now, I have been on plan for over 7 months. I do indulge in a slice of birthday cake now and then, or an off-plan dinner with DH, but I have not ALLOWED myself to buy any milk chocolate. That is a food I still don't trust myself around yet. I'm not ready to "try" and see if I have the willpower to eat it in moderation. I just can't yet, and I know it. I'm sure some of us have these "foods", and we stay away. Hopefully with all the therapy she receives, she is finally got the tools to take with her to tackle the emotional eating and the sweets addiction, or I agree, she'll pile the weight back on.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW303/TICKER/GW135

Height: 5'8"

OMG! It was sooooo strange and odd feeling watching that woman. Like a junkie almost! Hey, I have hidden food before, but honestly I never denied it. I knew exactly what I was doing and why I was doing it.

I don't do it anymore but sometimes I sneak food. I do a lot of things in regards to food that I am not proud of but I can totally admit it all. Her denial was scary and I worry about her also. I said to my husband that I believe she will gain it all back.

I do want to mention that boy. He was amazingly inspiring!!! Good for him!!

I miss the older episodes as well. I think it was more realistic when they were home for the majority of it. Ah well, I will still watch it.
ThinningVegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

i feel validated! i totally liked the old shows better. From my muffin (the male personal trainer, i think his name was david) to the facility. Notice that "hilton head" is all over this show-the first ones, we didn't even know where they stayed. and that blonde trainer-i want to fix her hair. And the yellling. And, of course most importantly, i agree they don't give them enough "tools", it is all about the "reveal". But then i think, well,6 months is alot of time, what are they doing? they MUST be teaching them about nutrition, right? i dunno. i don't even understand where she got the peanut butter and the snacks if they are at this resort and don't leave but-anyway, i do like the original shows better. However, i find all the stories inspirational. These people aren't competing for money or crap (there is a new weight loss reality wedding TV show i see? please.....) anyway... competing with our own minds is competition enough. i do wish they would have a follow up. But kudos to heavy-it's the most realistic weight loss show yet methinks (i have never seen Ruby so i can't compare it to that). -fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

It makes me chuckle that the trainer's name is Beverly Perfect. I agree that David and Britny were better. However, still enjoy the people's journeys and I like the young women who weigh them at the beginning and end better than that doctor they used to have, though. He always seemed a bit hostile to the patients to me.

Last edited by tea2; 03-01-2011 at 11:23 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #15  
committed

If you go to www.aetv.com/heavy/ you can see extended scenes from a lot of the Heavy shows -- interesting. And if you missed the show under discussion in this thread, it's available online here.