Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:15 AM   #1  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default Getting over the "NOW" mentality

I got on the scale this morning to a 1 lb. loss, and was disappointed. Why? I don't have a clue. I am the first one to preach that a pound a week is better than nothing, the slower you lose the more chance you'll keep it off in the long term, muscle weighs more than fat, it didn't all come on overnight, etc. etc. etc. Yet, I still wished for more. I was still slightly frustrated and had to tell that voice inside me head (you know..."you can't do this...why do you bother?...you'll never lose it all) to shut the **** up out loud.

I did look over my journals from last week to see if there were any improvements to be made. I found a few:

- I've been eating at the high end of my range or slightly over (I usually have plenty of banked points because of my exercise) every day.

- I haven't been getting my 5 fruits/veggies in.

- I've been spending my points on high-point/low-value foods.

I've decided this week to keep my points to the mid-range of my level (so, 28 points per day), eat more vegetables, and lay off the "treats."

I feel a little bit better because I'm taking some responsibility instead of blaming it on "metabolism" or "my body," but I'm still wishing I could lose faster.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to struggle with the "NOW" mentality. Any suggestions for what keeps you on track when the "NOW" guy starts invading your brain?
Old 04-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Because you can't move a mountain unless you remove one small stone at a time (some times pebbles).

That is why!

Hugs to you lady, I give you so much credit for coming as far as you have, don't turn back.

Love, Leenie
Old 04-28-2003, 11:17 AM   #3  

I get the "NOW" mentality pretty much everyday. What keeps me going is a lot of things....
-Being able to wear pants I couldn't wear 2 years ago
-When the "NOW" kicks in, I don't think about it... I don't even do anything about it.... I just keep on dieting like I do and pretty soon it goes away.
-I avoid looking at myself or feeling my fat rolls (it's gross.. but they keep getting smaller)... I avoid the scale....
-I think of all the things that made me start this mess.... and all the reasons I have to keep motivated.
-AND..... hehe... I come on here.... I chat it up with people like me... YA'LL always make me feel better!

Hope that helps...
Old 04-28-2003, 11:51 AM   #4  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

I remember someone on the board in another post saying something about how once we make that mind / body connection, once we re-connect to ourselves and see what we have become, we become impatient and can't lose the weight fast enough. It's so true!

One thing that I try to remember too is what one pound of fat looks like! In a recent WW meeting, the leader passed around this Ziploc baggie of what a pound of fat looks like and it totally grossed me out. It was a lot more than I had ever realized ~ even though the number "one" by itself may not be the largest number, what that one pound amounts to on your body really makes a difference!

Keep it up your doing great!
Old 04-28-2003, 06:25 PM   #5  
missaprylj

Jennelle--
I actually sat down one night and MADE myself right out 50 reasons why I want to do this. *sighs* They're a major kick in the butt when I go back and read them, and I'm like "ohh yeah... prom is coming up in a few years...." Really, it's a great help to me. -Apryl

Old 04-29-2003, 06:48 PM   #6  
Belly Dancing Diva

Default Hello

I had a week just this past week where I was exercising every single day, eating perfectly, drinking lots of water, and I didn't lose a single thing.

I didn't feel bad. Why? Because I know that this is a journey. I'm enjoying what I'm doing along the way, and realizing that I have to do this for the rest of my life, so I might as well. I see the process as being more important than the results.

I also enjoy the fact that my health is so much greater than it used to be. When it all boils down to it, the fact that my blood pressure is 120/74, that I can reach 2" past my toes, that my blood cholesterol level is in the lowest group it can be, etc., are all SO much more important than a stupid number on the scale.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

That's good stuff to remember. I had the exact experience last week, and I fretted about it even though I keep telling myself not to. I'm going to start thinking of all the victories I've had rather than be so aware of the number at the scale.
Closed Thread