Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What color are your eyes? (closet color from list below)
Aqua/Bright Blue 1 3.33%
Blue 3 10.00%
Light Green 0 0%
Dark Green 5 16.67%
Blue-Green 6 20.00%
Light Brown 0 0%
Dark Brown 4 13.33%
Hazel 9 30.00%
Grey 2 6.67%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 06:14 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 4/28-5/4

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=27093

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

Old 04-28-2003, 06:16 AM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM, there's 2 of them to read today, I REALLY like the first one in particular:

EVEN WHEN

Even when you have failed before, there is still every possibility of success. Even when one door is closed, another door will open. Even when the situation appears to be hopeless, there is indeed hope. Even when your options and your resources seem to be exhausted, there is still something more you can do.

Why is this so? Because the past does not equal the future. Because you are endlessly adaptable, resourceful and determined to go where you know you must go, to do what you know you must do. Because in this moment, you can move beyond anything at all that may have previously held you back.

Even when defeat appears certain, victory is well within reach. Even when the night is at its darkest, dawn is already on the way.

Never give up, never give in, even when everything before has been a disappointment or a disaster. Because everything ahead can be just as you decide to make it.

-- Ralph Marston
CALM AND DETERMINED

Does it serve any purpose to get upset? Most of the time it serves no purpose. Most of the time, getting upset about a negative situation only serves to prolong and intensify that situation. Getting upset about something you don't want will usually do nothing to make things better, and will likely make things worse.

Instead of becoming upset, become more determined. Instead of throwing your time and energy away, put them to positive use. When you're upset you can often make foolish and costly mistakes, which will get you even more upset. When, on the other hand, you decide to remain calm and determined, you'll make solid, steady progress.

Getting upset is a choice, and becoming more determined is also a choice. Make the choice that will move you forward. The less time you spend being upset, the more time you make to truly live and grow.

-- Ralph Marston
Have a wonderful day, and a fabulous week!!!!!

Debbie
194/1??/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 04-28-2003, 06:20 AM   #3  

WE HAVE A BIRTHDAY TO CELEBRATE THIS WEEK!!!!

IT'S TRANQUIL'S BIRTHDAY
THIS SATURDAY, MAY 5TH!!!

(SB LEGAL CAKE!)
Old 04-28-2003, 06:26 AM   #4  

THIS WEEKS CHALLENGES!!!

I think we've gotten a bit lax on our on-going challenges so I'm here to re-institute them!

Get back on the exercise board! There were so many of us on there. It was great to see so many getting in the 3 day challenge. Won't you join me once again this week???

The water challenge-I've been REALLY bad with this and need to get back to getting in the minimum of 64 ounces. Who's with me on this one?

Journal, just one day this week and post it on the board. It won't kill you. For those who did so last week, I hope it opened your eyes a bit!

Choose one, two or all three!!!! Anyone game?
Old 04-28-2003, 08:24 AM   #5  

Default Morning!

Good Morning! A brand new week! I am determined to be on program and get my exercise in all week!

I think everyone should take a piece of paper, and write in big letters some great trait or talent you have, and tape it to the mirror in your bathroom. Then when you get up in the morning, and stumble in there, you will see it, and it will lift your spirits. If you can't think of something, shame on you! You can put an accomplishment then. Even if it was graduating from high school with honors 25 years ago! Pick something you are proud of, and tape it to the mirror. When you like yourself, and can think positively about yourself, you are more apt to think you are worth the struggle to lose weight. Go for it, my friends! You are all worth it! Be a bunch of losers this week!

The weather is gorgeous here. My climbing rose on the front steps is in full bloom, and is gorgeous, and smells divine! I love spring, when the roses start blooming. I feel good about getting them sprayed too! Tom dug a hole for me to plant the last one yesterday, so I need to go stick it in the hole this morning. Then I have to cook dinner for my meeting tonight. In fact, I think I am going to be cooking dinner Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for others. I may insist on dinner out on Thursday!

After last nights debauchery at the Chinese restaurant, I am sucking down the water, and hoping WIW is not a disappointment, but if it is, it will be my own fault. I feel sure it won't be bad! If it is, I can blame it on PMS! I LOVE being a woman!

Can you tell Monet woke up in a good mood? The drugs really help!

Where is everyone?

DEB: I am with you on all three! I think I have been a bit behind on the water too, so it is good to recommit and start thinking about it again.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:08 AM   #6  

Default Good morning all

We had quite an eventful weekend to say the least. I had a Creative Memories party on Saturday which went quite well (I will get $70.00 worth of free murchandise from the total sales!) and then my DH and I went out to dinner with another couple to celebrate this friends 70th birthday. During dinner he proceeded to have a TIA right in front of us. The matre'd had to call 911 for us. It was unbelievable. Our friend is already home from the hospital thank goodness and he called last night to thank us for being there for him and his wife. He had an MRI and CAT scans done so hopefully they do not find any serious damage.

Ok, I became very discouraged on Friday night when I was at our local health food store doing some shopping. I had bought a couple of WW bagels there a week or so ago and thought I would get them again. When I was at the bakery picking them out I actually READ the ingredients this time. They say 100% WW bagels but alas there is white flour in them. I have found that a lot of recipes that are 100% WW are in fact NOT 100% WW. What is up with that?

Also, what is this about spelt flour? Do you all like it or use it? I want to start baking and I saw a lot of the recipes in the "500 Low Carb Recipes" book call for this. They also call for Almond flour? I have never seen that.

I know I had more questions but I am blanking out now......senior moment

Monet: We worked in our perennial garden yesterday. Our roses look like they will be great this year. I have a Betty Prior that I am a little worried about though. It did not do as well last year so we really pruned the heck out of it this year. We figured we had nothing to lose. One other bush doesn't look that promising but my favorite miniature pink rose is looking wonderful. I have one bush that only shoots up 2-3 long straight stems of the most beautiful red roses. They are like long stem roses. It is sad that it only does that but let me tell you it is absolutely gorgeous! It felt so good to work in the garden again.

That brings up another question.....I have thyme in my perennial border. It is looking a little dead in the middle right now but I know it usually fills in. But I am wondering if it should be cut back each spring so that it doesn't have so much dead wood in the middle? Anyone know?

Deb: I'm sorry your dad is still in the hospital. I will keep my fingers crossed that he is home soon.
I too had a decadent weekend (and last week too!) I am back on track this week. I am up for your challenges. I always drink my water so that is no problem. I am sending my journal for today and not wait for the "perfect" day to do it. Here is what I am having today....

Breakfast: Carnation Instant SF Breakfast with skim milk
AM Snack: Carrots with light sour cream and ranch seasonings
Lunch: WW Tortillas with cheese and salsa
PM Snack: Orange, Oat Bran Pretzels and cheese
Dinner: Chicken and salad (probably some wine too )

As for the exercise...I am going back to Curves tonight and I would also like to get more of my walks in so I am with you on that challenge.

Well, enough about me! I will check in later to see how we are all doing today.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:16 AM   #7  
Wannabe skinny babe

Default Repost on baking with SGWW flour question

Good morning everyone,

I forgot to mention that I weigh in every Saturday at the community center. Anyhow, I was down 3.8 lbs. from last Saturday.

In case you missed my question over the weekend, I'll recap. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have!

I baked two loaves of banana nut bread - one regular, one with SGWW flour and Splenda. The WW one came out okay, but really dense and dry. How can I adapt "normal" recipes for using the sgww flour and keep the moistness? I took out 1 tbsp flour for every cup, and thought about adding more milk to make it more moist, but this was the first time I'd used this recipe, so I didn't want to ruin it. Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Deb, I'll take you up on the three challenges! I take it the exercise 3-day challenge is to exercise 3 days of the week?

Monet, after cooking for everyone, you *deserve* a day off!

Jane, I could be wrong about this (Deb?) but I think that if a certain percentage of the ingredient is WW, then they can list it, even if it's not 100%. I call it cheating. Grrrr.

Have a good one!

Jenn

Today's menu:
Breakfast: oatmeal w/ mixed berries
Snack: 4 oz. red seedless grapes
Lunch: Pot roast (8 oz.) w/ raw baby carrots
Snack: 6 oz. Blue Bunny NSA yogurt, 1 orange
Dinner: Tuna melt on SD bread, broccoli, sm. salad
Dessert: 1 Klondike Bar (NSA Reduced fat)

How's that look???

Last edited by Jenn in MN; 04-28-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:31 AM   #8  
"I'm working on it!"

Thumbs down Howdy Gang!

How's everyone today?

We've been having really gorgeous weather here the past several days. Needless to say, I've been out enjoying them! Today is supposed to be sunny and over 70F!!!! Looks like we'll have to really slather on the sunscreen. I've been getting a slight burn on my face even when I'm not out for too long.

I'm sore today. I did a lot of yard work yesterday. I accomplished a lot more than I thought I'd do. They only had pansies, some roses and a few perennials at the garden center yesterday. With the wacky weather, I guess they're afraid to get more stuff.

I had a wicked migraine on Saturday and managed to sit thru a seminar. Thank goodness they had a large vat of coffee. I skipped the cookies Then my mother treated the family to dinner at Outback. I had a baked potato with all the trimmings. We don't have sweet potatoes on our menu up here. The roast beef was wonderful. Then 7 of us shared 2 desserts. I did manage to get in tons of water as the headache meds make me really thirsty.

I got back on track with eating yesterday, but didn't get in nearly enough water, especially with working outside.

I haven't looked at the board in a few days so here's just a couple replies from what this soggy brain remembers.

DEB--Sorry your dad is still in hospital. I hope they release him soon, but at least you know they're making sure he's ok. I'll try to take your challenges. I really need to get back to the exercise. I've got a lot more yard work to do, so I hope that will count Water-I have some good days and some not so good. And I almost never journal. That will be the tough one.

MONET and JANE (I think it was Jane ) Thanks for the info about pruning the roses. MONET, I had heard the way you said. That's how I had been doing it. But for some reason, last fall I pruned back way too far. But there is hope. A couple bushes I was sure were dead, have little sprouts on them

WELCOME any newbies or anyone returning.

Ok, laundry and gardening time!
Old 04-28-2003, 09:49 AM   #9  

Good Morning Again

Got in my 4.5 mile snail walk I wanted to go but my ankles were telling me it was going to be one of those slow-moving walks. Took me an hour and 4 minutes today-that's slow! Doesn't help that I'm bloated (TOM due Thursday) AND that I didn't sleep well, but the important thing is, that I walked.

ALSO, already have half my water consumption in me, and boy, do I feel it! URINATION STATION, HERE I COME!!!

Want to get in a few replies before it gets too late and I don't have any time...

MONET, glad to see you are looking forward to the week ahead and your exercising! Hmmm I'm gonna have to think about my accomplishment! I like that idea, just have to come up with one I think worthy enough to make myself look in that darned mirror every day Sounds like you are definitely in a great mood today and are going to have a great week ahead of you. Thanks for taking on this weeks challenges!

JANE, sounds like you had a too exciting weekend, at least when it comes to the dinner. Okay, it's Monday, and I'm a bit slower than normal, so what's the TIA? No matter what it is, it doesn't sound good, and esp. when celebrating a birthday! What the heck kind of present was that! You have found that you really need to read those labels. Interesting to see what companies can put in foods and get away with saying they are. You have to see the words WHOLE GRAIN or STONE GROUND and even then, you STILL have to read through all the other ingredients. Takes a little more time to get through the stores, but well worth it Spelt is great to use, almond flour I don't use. It's actually just finely ground almonds (if you keep grinding you'll get almond butter). Problem with it is it's VERY FATTENING, so do keep that in mind. Okay, with your intended menu today...do you have any clue on your caloric intake? It really doesn't look like enough. Def. not enough fiber either. If this is really all you are eating, it may be a problem my dear

JENN, CONGRATS on your loss this week, that's awesome! Keep up the great work! As for the bread you made, you'd definitely have to increase the liquids in there somehow since you used the Splenda. Why don't you post the original recipe and let the board try to give you some pointers. Ummm, did you use real bananas??? Today's menu, same thing I said to JANE, doesn't look like enough. Any ideas on the caloric intake of what you posted? Thanks for taking on the challenges this week!

ZANNE, sounds like the weather up there is finally getting nice for you all! Hey, you do what you can with the challenges. I know, people don't like to have extra "work" when it comes to the journaling, but I truly think it won't kill y'all once in a while to do it. I know, for me, when I don't do it, my eating is terrible!

Well, I gotta hop in the shower and get ready for my yoga class. Will check in later today.

Have a great week!

Debbie
Old 04-28-2003, 09:52 AM   #10  

OKAY, I COULDN'T WAIT FOR FRIDAY TO POST THIS FOR FRIDAY FUNNIES!!!!!!!! This is too funny!!!!!!!!!!!

TOP 10 DOG PET PEEVES ABOUT HUMANS

1. Blaming your farts on me...not funny...not funny

2. Yelling at me for barking... I'M A FRIGGIN' DOG YOU IDIOT!!

3. Taking me for a walk, then not letting me check stuff out. Exactly who's walk is this anyway?

4. Any trick that involves balancing food on my nose...stop it.

5. Any haircut that involves bows or ribbons. Now you know why we chew your stuff up when you're not home.

6. The sleight of hand, fake fetch throw. You fooled a dog! What a
proud moment for the top of the food chain, you nitwit.

7. Taking me to the vet for "the big snip", then acting surprised
when I freak out every time we go back.

8. Getting upset when I sniff the crotches of your guests. Sorry but I haven't quite mastered that handshake thing yet.

9. How you act disgusted when I lick myself. Look, we both know the truth, you're just jealous.

10. Dog sweaters. Have you noticed the fur? Imbecile.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #11  

Good Morning All

Another beautiful day here. I was up bright and early this morning as I had forgotten to put my yard waste out front last night for pick up this morning. So got off to a good start. Cleaned the bathrooms, read the newspaper, had early breakfast, did the dishes and will be heading out to the grocery store soon, then to the hairdressers and off to badminton this afternoon. So I'll probably be having a late lunch to-day. I made buttermilk spelt pancakes for breakfast and topped them with homemade sf blueberry jam which I made on the weekend.

DEB - I missed posting on the exercise board last week but I will try to remember to do so this week. I usually wait until the end of the week and then post it all for the week but I forgot last week and see that I am too late to post on there now. The other challenges too I will continue with. I do find it beneficial to actually post what I am eating, it does keep me in check. Too bad I didn't continue it all last week. Sorry to hear that your Dad is still in the hospital. Hope he is home soon and that he does well with the chemo.

TEANSYBEAN - Glad to hear that dh is doing well following his surgery. Isn't that a good feeling when your clothes start to fit looser. WTG on the exercising last week and using the stairs instead of the elevator.

JANE - I really don't know why it's allowed to put 100% WW when the item includes white flour. We have to be so vigilant in reading the labels. I've just starting using spelt flour. I used it for my pancakes this morning and they tasted good - they didn't really taste any different than when I make them with sgww. If you do buy spelt though look for the whole grain. I'm not sure if the one I bought was stone ground but they did have two kinds, the refined and the whole grain. I've never used Almond Flour. Your menu for to-day looks good to me.

JEN - What kind of sgww flour did you use for your banana bread? Did you use the hard or the soft (pastry) flour. The type of flour would make a difference in the texture. I haven't baked using splenda so don't know if this would effect the texture. Maybe our expert cook MONET will have an answer for you.

ZANNE - I'm surprised you can even drink coffee when you have a migraine. Whenever I have even a hint of a headache I am unable to drink coffee, even the thought of it makes the headache worse. I was planning on getting my patch of garden ready for planting this weekend but I was advised by a couple of people to hold off planting for a while as the soil is still too cold. So I am happy to leave that for another week or two as I have do some digging and add some more soil. But before I do that I have to find a wheelbarrow or some kind of wagon to lug the bags of soil to the front. I think I will have to hit a few garage sales to see what I can find.

Have to go. Will finish reading posts when I get back.

Marie.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:50 AM   #12  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Monday Morning!

I'm down a pound this morning--a nice way to start the week!

It is GORGEOUS here this morning! I have a sweet kitten purring in my arms--all's right with the world!

Marie--those buttermilk-spely pancakes sound good! I'm thinking about using spetl in the bread machine--have you ever tried it?

Deb--sounds like you are off and running for the week!

Zanne--No sweet taters are Outback? The Horrors! Around here they will put steamed veggies on the plate instead of a potato is you ask.

Jenn in MN--Congrats on the 3.8 lbs! Sounds like you are off to a good start!

Jane--what a weekend you had--goodness. I'm glad your friend seems to be OK now. I bet the party was fun. I love scrapbooking and get together with a group of women twice a month at the church to work.

Monet--Tell me about them pills you are taking again? I'm glad to see you in such a good mood. This weather always lifts my spirits--I hope you have a great day!

Belle and I have much work to do this morning. I hope everyone has a great OP day and an even better week!

Susan
300/255.5/150
Old 04-28-2003, 10:53 AM   #13  

JENN: I would reduce the amount of flour another tablespoon per cup. I think I would also up the fats in the recipe a bit too. If it calls for butter, I may even substiture peanut oil. Oil tends to keep baked goods more moist. SGWW pastry flour will give you a better baked product like cookies, or muffins, and probably would work better in quick breads. I use Wheat Montana while whole wheat for everything now, and it does very well. I do think the brand of flour has an effect on the finished product. Other ways to combat dryness, if you are not keen on adding more oil would be to add an extra egg. If you would like, email me the recipe ([email protected]) and I will look at it and see if I can come up with other adjustments.

ROSALIE: Forgot to thank you for the email with the jam recipes! Great page! Thank you! My bushes are going to be loaded this year! woo hoo!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:53 AM   #14  

Default A few more questions

I finally received my book in the mail and read it from cover to cover. Although it was interesting reading, I feel I have learned more from this board and research than I did from the actual book.

Anyway, I don't recall reading anywhere about the 2-3 starchy carb-a-day allotment. And, does your starchy carb consist of anything other than protein, veggies & fruit (i.e; bread, cereals, wheat crackers.....).

I also read to keep your sugars below 5 grams per serving (which seems high). I have read here that it should not exceed 3 grams per serving.

I bought some bread by Pepperidge Farm - Natural Whole Grain - 9 grain. It has 3 grams fiber per seving and 2 grams of sugar (which fall under the guidelines, right)? Well the ingredients are Unbromated stone ground 100% whole wheat flour, water, rye meal, wheat gluten, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, crushed wheat, RAISIN JUICE CONCENTRATE, oats, UNSULPHURED MOLASSES, soybean oil, yeast, HONEY, salt rye flakes, barley..........

Aren't there too many no-no's in here to eat even though it falls under the 2 grams of sugar allotment.

ALSO....I did buy the Sugar Busters pocket grocery shopping guide. WHAT A HUGE HELP THIS IS GOING TO BE. I would recommend it to anyone new to the program. It has a listing for most all food groups with pages of allowed foods, and then at the end of each food group there is a box of foods that are FORBIDDEN. It is a great little reference that I will take to the store with me when I do my shopping until I learn the basics.

I hope this Monday morning finds you all well. I look forward to getting to know you all a little better in the coming weeks/months.

Thanks in advance for the information. You've all been great so far!!!!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:23 AM   #15  
Wannabe skinny babe

Arrow More on flour and menu

I use Arrowhead Mills SGWW flour. It says you can sub 1 for 1 on regular flour, but I've found it's not true, because it's so much thicker texture.

I did use real bananas for the bread, as Dan hadn't eaten many last week and they were ready to hit the trash. I grabbed the Betty Crocker cookbook we got for a wedding present, and decided to give the Banana Bread a try. I didn't think bananas were bad, are they? It was 12 slices for the bread, or 1/4 banana in each serving.

Deb, let's see... I'm still using weight watchers points because that's easier for me. Here's the breakdown:
1 c. Oatmeal (not instant) w/ 1/2 c. berries: 3
1/2 c. skim milk: 1
Eggs: 4 (2 each)
Yogurt: 3
Tuna: 5
Grapes: 1
SD Bread: 3
Salad dressing: 1
Pot Roast: 6
Orange: 1
Cheese: 3
Klondike bar: 3
Total= 34 x 50 calories/pt. = approx. 1700 calories
Do you think that is too much, too little or about right?

According to my "range", I'm supposed to eat between 1200-1450 cals. a day. I can cut the dessert if I'm over on the calories. The starchy carbs are at breakfast and dinner (oatmeal and SD bread).

Marie , Splenda isn't as "thick" as sugar, so if the recipe is using it for volume, I know it doesn't work as well. I need to go back over to their website and re-read the tips and tricks. It seemed to work with the bread, though.

Back to work for now,

Jenn
Closed Thread