Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #10

Good morning ladies. Sorry I caused any of you concern it has just been a crazy weekend. I got in here twice to post and got interrupted both times and never got finished.

Friday I did get the dining room rug done and most of the house cleaned. I decided to hold off on the kitchen and living room since we were going to move furniture and stuff and shampoo the living room carpet. Why have to clean twice, right? We did get the furniture all moved and the carpets shampooed so nice it is all ready for the new loveseat recliner. I am anxious to get it as the recliner is totally shot. When we moved it to shampoo underneath there was a piece of broken off spring on the floor! No wonder I feel like I am sitting in the basement all the time!

It has been really warm here and I noticed the ac isn't working up to snuff so before full out summer gets here someone is going to have to come and service it I guess. Seems like we are always spending money on something on this place. Sometimes I wonder why we just didn't decide to continue to rent until we die!

Fortune is doing great. Jack and I sat down and talked more about what the vet tech told him and such and I guess Yorkies tend to have this problem sometimes and Jack said that she said that this powder I put on his food almost always takes care of the issue and brings the numbers back in line. He acts like he always did and she did tell us something I didn't know. A dog that is in pain will turn its head and rub its nose against its body. Fortune has never done that at all so he obviously isn't in pain, besides the fact animals in pain rarely eat well and he scarfs his dog food right down and drinks fine too.

Maggie: Bananas are probably the trickiest of fruits IMO. I come to discover they will brown quickly if the baggers at the store aren't careful with them or put them in with things that will bruise them. You don't notice until the next day then they are all brown. I never have more than 4 in the house at once or they go brown on me. Jack absolutely hates bananas so I am the only one that eats them. I have a banana hanger I use for them and I like the paper bag method for ripening other fruit. I am much less of a clean nick than I used to be partly because of having a 2 story place now. When we lived in the apartment, it was all on one story and though it was a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a kitchen, dining room and huge living room, because it was all on one floor cleaning wasn't such an issue. Dragging the vacuum up and down is the pits, but sooner or later I do want to put hardwoord in upstairs so don't want to invest in two vacuums.

Susan: Oooh, yarn booths. I salivate just thinking about it. I just got the new knit picks catalogue over the weekend and the colors were fabulous. I can't buy anymore yarn though until I use up what I have. I have no room for yarn. If I were ever to get rich, I would have a room just with shelves to store lots and lots of yarn. My sil is a big sewer or was when the kids were small and had a room full of yard goods and such. She loves purple and I have never seen so many different patterns and colors of purple in my life. Sounds like you had a nice time. I have a tiny pair of scissors I love for my knitting. They are nice and sharp and do a great job. I do need to buy new scissors for the house though as mine are pretty dull and sharpening doesn't seem to help at this stage as they aren't expensive.

Jean: I talked to my sister yesterday and she couldn't believe how warm it was here. It only got down to around 65 last night and the house was pretty warm all night. It is supposed to be back into the 70's today and stay in the 60's for the week. It is mighty wet here though as another heavy thunderstorm roared through here this morning. This time I was sleeping and not sitting at Mcdonalds.

I hate the even type this as it always seems to be a bad omen for me, but Monday is my weigh day and I am down 7 lbs for the week. Part of it has to do with changing my bp meds and the edema in my legs and feet. It is slowly going down and that is a lot of the weight loss.

Well, gals I am going to go. Again I am sorry I didn't get in here and finish any of my posts over the weekend. Have a great start to the week. I am off to tackle some more cleaning this morning and put clothing away I folded last night and is still in the basket upstairs. One last thing about the cleaning and stuff. I have pillows. I have three sofa accent pillows and I have 4 sleeping pillows, plus two large bed pillows in shams, a large pillow roll, a rectangle and a square pillow that are all part of my bedding ensemble. Jack told me last night when I die he is throwing every pillow except the one's he sleeps on OUT! I give him a hard time because he sits on the couch and throws the pillows on the floor then goes upstairs and leaves them on the floor and I make him pick them up and put them back! When he helps me make the bed after doing the sheets, he purposesly throws the sleeping pillows on the bed so I either have to let it go or walk around and rearrange them with the decorative ones. He really does hate the things, but they are pretty! Have a good one! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #2  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning everyone! Well, you can tell I'm not used to posting on a message board anymore as I let too many days go! It's not that I don't think about y'all because I do. I just get side-tracked! Also, I don't spend that much time on the computer as much as I used to. Or maybe I do and it just comes in splurts.

Wayne is laid off. Again. We're fine. We're paying our bills on time. There is food in the refrigerator and pantry--we're not starving. We can go out to eat occasionally but when an unexpected bill comes in that can throw my bookkeeping and bill-paying into a little bit of a frenzy which means I have to transfer money from savings to checking.

I'm grateful that the weather is finally turning warmer. Wayne and I went walking at the park yesterday afternoon. It was so crowded! It got up to 60 degrees and it felt soooooo good! We walked 2.6 miles on the walking trail. Walking/exercise plays a huge...HUGE...part in my weight loss efforts. Without it I tend to stand still/maintain in weight...which is fine as I know this is going to be a looooong journey; however, I would like to get to 189 lbs. by the end of March. Anyway, it's supposed to be another warm day today so we're walking again. The weatherman is calling for thunder storms so I hope that is later this evening.

Wayne just phoned me--he's doing errands and one of them is to put gas in the car. $3.29 a gallon for regular!!! Goodness gracious!

I have tried to read all the posts since I posted but I know I'm going to miss out on responding to some things...so bear with me.

Donna Faye--I'm sorry to hear that Fortune is sick. When our golden retriever, Toby, got cancer, it was very difficult watching him go downhill. Our pets are a part of our family. I love Fresh Market but can only go to one of those stores when I visit the dads in Virginia Beach. I always make a pitstop in that store as I find some specialty foods there I can't find anywhere else.

Maggie--I remember reading about that lion! Lions and tigers and bears...oh my! I am so tired of the cold! Wayne and I keep telling each other when we're officially retired (and have access to more money) we are definitely going to be spending some of the winters in a much warmer place!

Jean--groceries are going up here also...and I mentioned the gas going up today. I honestly don't know how some people make it.

Susan--I thought about my last post--griping about taxes in Virginia. I hope you were not offended and if you were I am sorry. Wayne and I tease the dads that they should move up to Delaware because of them. I love Virginia so please don't think I don't. The taxes on everything (or so it seems) just boggles our minds. I often wonder how Delaware can make it NOT taxing people on those things but right now I am grateful for that!

I really am grateful for so much and feel blessed that we can afford to live the way we do under the circumstances with Wayne's work...or lack of...and the sad economy.

Wednesday is my weigh-in day. I'll try to get back in here more...but it's difficult knitting and typing at the same time!

Take care...
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining! It at least looks warmer outside even though it isn't; maybe we will make it to 30 today. I've been to church to count money. It balanced the first time around with the treasurer and again when I did the posting to the accounts. I was back home in record time today. I have lots I could be doing -- really should spend the rest of the day ironing and sorting through clothes I don't wear, but keep moving around.

Maggie -- The chicken dinners we get have a huge chicken breast and then you can choose two sides plus a roll. We do carry out quite often. We used to dogsit for a neighbor and his dog food had veggies in it; he would eat everything but what looked like green beans that he would leave in a pile right in the middle of th dish. We used to have a lot of rabbits around here but not so many anymore.

Susan -- I have a tiny "special" gold colored scissors that my grandma used for sewing, and then my mom used them. They are shaped like a bird with where you put your fingers being the body and the cutting blades are the beak. They are well over 60 years old and still sharp as can be. Glad you enjoyed the quilt show.

"Gma" -- on losing 7#s this week! I have used the "green" bags for bananas and they do work pretty well. I only buy a couple at a time unless I'm in the mood to make bread. I can just picture Jack throwing your pillows around. I'm glad all is well at your house, and Fortune seems to be doing just fine!

Gail -- I am sorry that Wayne has been laid off again. What are the chances of being called back? If you want to learn about being taxed to the max, come to Iowa! We tax EVERYTHING except food that you cannot eat in the place where you buy it, in other words you fix/eat it at home. I maintain they should tax all food items because everyone eats while not everyone smokes, drinks, nor buys gas.

I do need to put in another load of laundry so better get moving. I noticed the dust bunnies have moved down to the basement so could do a quick vacuum down there.

Have a marvelous Monday and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Moody Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Good morning Magnolias. It is a beautiful 37º cool, cloudy day here in the heartland. The dogs are at the groomer for a haircut, bath and blow dry. Will is out shopping to fill my list. He does so much better than I do for I buy stuff that isn’t on the list. He prefers me to make a list and he do the shopping. Works for me for I don’t like to shop. Last evening we had Wendy’s and it was so good. They didn’t have my favorite Mandarin salad anymore so I got the BLT Cob salad and didn’t use the dressing nor the blue cheese crumbles so had a really tasty 7 P+ meal. I put the cheese crumbles (3 P+) into a jar of dressing in the fridge and will use the two packets of Avocado Ranch dressing (3 P+ each) for a veggie dip one day. By not using the cheese or dressing I was able to shave off 9 points+ of that 16 P+ salad. It was so good I will do that again. I go to WW later this day in the evening time and as usual am hoping for a loss to show. Hopefully that will be the case for I have stayed within the lines once again this week. I don’t have a clue this day what I am going to do after I get a basket full of clothes folded and put away. I really need to plan a menu for the week. It doesn’t always get followed but at least it is an idea for me to plan for.

DONNA FAYE Glad there was not anything of unhappy happenings going on with you and it was what it was with your days. What ever it is that causes a weight loss is cause for celebration. for you. I can just see you in your new chair with springs that work and don't hide on the floor underneith. Will doesn't like putting all the pillows back either so that is my job. However, since Beanie has joined the family I have been leaving the smaller decorative pillows off. He likes to frolic in them and they will just have to stay off for awhile. When Ragg Mopp was little I had a Cabbage Patch doll on with the pillows and he thought that was his baby and stole it. After I rescued it from him I put it where he couldn't get to it. Now it sits on a shelf in my office along with a couple Beanie Babys. I used to have a whole bunch of Beanie Babys which I bought in Severeville TN. However I just saved two of my favorite and gave the rest away through the years.

JEAN LOL you got my dust bunnies I shooed out of here. Those little things can sure multiply fast when you aren't looking. How nice it must feel that you got that money count right on the first try. You go girl. Your chicken dinner sounds lovely and you didn't have to make it. Ragg Mopp and Beanie both will eat veggies. I think they would eat anything I fed to them but I hardly ever give them anything off the table. Good to only let the critters have their own food. I have all different colored doggie biscuits that I give them and I think the colors are what different ingredients they have in them. Will always reads the lables before buying them treats.

GAIL I am sorry to hear that Wayne has been laid off once again. However, it is so good that you and he have planned well through the years and now can have a good quality of life. When Will really decides to retire we can always go to Texas where we can live on our friends ranch and raise a cow or two and have some chickens and a garden and think we have good sense. Yes, it is good to have a plan.

I gotta tell ya ~ I had all my post made before now and it went poof and I just let out a big sigh. Frustrating.

Everyone have a wonderful Monday. Yep it is Moody Monday.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #5  

Good afternoon, ladies - a beautiful 75 degree day but bad storms are expected this evening.

I went to water aerobics this morning, then to Trader Joe's. This afternoon I have 10 quilt blocks I have to make for my First Thursday Bee on Thursday. They are only 9-patch so will go fast.

Gloria, I'm so sorry your husband got laid off again. At least you have planned and saved so can still live reasonably. It didn't bother me one bit about VA taxes. I had to laugh when Jean said IA was worse. It's all relative. I've always wondered about Delaware myself. I know if I don't do my exercise, I have a lot harder time losing as well as breathing.

Faye, I'm so glad everything is okay with you and yours. The new recliner will seem like heaven after sitting in the cellar! I had to laugh at your pillows. I have 4 bed pillows on my bed. Depending on how my breathing is, I use different amounts to prop myself up. I had about a dozen pillows in the living room and I got tired of looking at them and threw all but 4 of them out and they may be going soon. They are such dust catchers.

Jean - balanced on the first time! They'll never let you leave now. VA used to tax food but they took the tax off grocery store stuff because it was felt it was harder for the low income folks to buy food. We have state tax and then city/county tax on restaurant and carryout food. State tax is 5% and the city/county varies from 8-10% depending on where you are.

Maggie, isn't having a live Beanie better than the stuffed ones? What are you cooking up today?

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

HOWDY

I have been adding some good recipes to my binders and printing out new Index pages. One thing about this new printer if you run out of black ink it will mix some from the other colors so you can at least finish a page. It would probably keep up the mixing but I don't really have to print anything before I get a black cartridge.

SUSAN You gave me a good laugh about Beanie. Have you ever seen those beanie baby dolls? They are such cute little girls and you used to could buy lots of different outfits for them. I don't know if they are even for sale anymore for I have had these for years. Good for you getting in your this day. I did some myself. I am not cooking today. I ate a light lunch and then after WW we are going out to eat at Applebees. I like their WW friendly offering.

Life is good. Yack at y'all later.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #7  

Maggie -- Good luck at WW tonight! You are lucky that Will will do your shopping for you! Bob will pick up bread and milk on his way home from the office. I used to be able to send a list of a few things but had to tell him where each item was. Then they rearranged all of the stores in town and half the time I can't find what I'm looking for. It's a good thing you like to cook and work with recipes.

Susan -- A 75 degree day would be heaven right now! It did melt a little this afternoon even though the breeze was cold. The sun has a lot of power these days. I love it being lighter earlier and later each day. A warm day with and quilting sounds like the ideal day. Our city council is proposing a 9% water fee hike each year for the next 5. For the 2 of us our water and sewer is running about $52 a month and that doesn't include garbage. I get but know my two cents worth won't make a bit of difference. I wish someone would lead a revolt and I would join in! We also have a local, county, and state tax which is currently 7%, but the state legislature is talking about raising their share.

Last edited by Jean; 02-28-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Well my Magnolia friends I did fine at weigh in : and showed a loss of 2.6 pounds which I am very pleased about. I have made a decision from thinking about this for quite a few days now. I am not doing any better attending WW meetings than I was doing without going so am going to quit the irritating meetings. I don't look forward to going and then not having a good leader with some pizazz just isn't cutting it for me. The only thing I really looked forward to going for was the weigh in to see how I did but I have a set of doctors scales that are calabrated correctly so can look forward to my weigh in's right here. I would rather not pay them just to use their scales. I researched all the other places around and none are close enough to here, so I will do it at home. Get that ~ I will do it. I gave the meetings a good try for 8 weeks and that is long enough to tell if they were any better. You gals are my support group. I have my exercise program going and will keep on doing what I have been doing to continue lose down this road to thin. Donna Faye ~ it is you and me girlfriend ~ walking this walk together for we are now the two non meeting gals.

JEAN I have tons of "good for program" recipes and have been changing the points values in good ones as I have revisited them again. We chose not to go out tonight so I used my inside grill and did a couple steaks and made a nice salad and green beans with a few bacon bits sprinkeled on them. Much better than eating out ~ we are both getting so tired of the same ole places to eat out so I can see I will be doing more cooking which I don't mind at all.

Time to go watch a movie ~ type at y'all later.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies. It is quite cool this morning here, 35 degrees, but seems ok in the house even with the furnace being off. It was quite warm in the house yesterday, 77 so I had the ac on then turned it off and opened the back door when the wind started blowing and cooling off. Problem was, in came a hard rain and I wasn't paying any attention trying desperately to finish Kelly's sock so I could get them to her so when I did realize it, the rug in front of the door was all wet as our storm door doesn't have storm windows on it. Ahh well.

Poor Jack that man is gonna be the death of me. He hurt his back again so has to go to the doctor this morning first thing. At least this time since it is the regular doctor he can stay home a day or so and let it ease up instead of having to go right back to work with just some pills. He has a doctor appt on Thursday for his colon screening so I imagine he won't go back to work until Friday at this rate. He reminds me of the scarecrow in "The Wizard of Oz" that lost his stuffing. I just have to keep putting his "stuffing" back in so he can finish out 4 more years of work to retire on his pension.

Gail: I am so very sorry your hubby did get laid off. Glad you have contingency plans at least for awhile. I do hope he either gets called back or can find something else. In this day and age and at our age it is tough to do sometimes. I too think the gas issue is just horrible. The crude barrel prices spiking bleed through to practically everything from heating oil to baby bottles. The fact is, there is no need for this nonsense. They do it just because they can. Anytime there is any question of some country that produces oil, in this case Libya, having unrest that gives them an excuse to hike it up again. Jack says Libya only produces about 5% of all oil. He is also of the opinion that research backs up the fact we could irradicate the IRS and go to a flat 10% US sales tax and it would work just fine and give consumers much more take home money and provide plenty of money for the government to have. No more filing taxes and such, but he says for it to come about you would need a lot of people with guts and you can't get that many people to have the guts to do it.

Maggie: Big on your losses. I find here that the leaders are always in a rush, mainly because most of them have other jobs and do stuff during their lunch hours or whatever. I think at our age we have heard all the tips, secrets and what you should do's so why pay the money to sit and listen to it again? That is not to say people who get something out of it shouldn't go as I know a lot of people need the encouragement and stuff. I just found all the stuff repetitive and as it is expensive decided not to continue meetings. Hope Beanie and RM came home all sweet smelling and clean. It is time for Fortune to have another grooming so guess I am either going to have to go back to Wesley or find another groomer.

Jean: I was caught off guard by your first post being in regular font size. You usually post larger so I can always tell yours from everyone elses. Maggie tends to do it in green and the three of us leftovers just do it in black so it was a bit of a shock. Congrats on your first time around balancing. Nice feeling, isn't it? Jack is great about picking up stuff at the store either on the way home from work or going out and doing it. If he can't find something he just calls home or if he is unsure what size to get or whatever. He called me once to ask what brand of kidney beans I wanted and another time which angel hair pasta to get so he rarely comes home with the wrong thing. I don't get miffed about it anymore. I mean, what's the big deal, right?

Susan: You should see me get out of that chair! I can't complain though. It isn't the most expensive brand, we have had it for about 6 years and both of us have slept in it for weeks when we had surgeries so it did it's job. I know that the Lazyboy will last though and we are looking forward to it. It is one of those purchases you put off because of the expense as you always have things more important to spend money on. I mean, the thing cost us $1200!! I know my daughter would be appalled. She was pretty much shocked when she found out I paid $700 for my dryer but it is soooo wonderful. I love the darn thing, especially since the problem in the wall was repaired and the venting works properly now. If nothing else, NO MORE LAUNDROMAT! I have to say though, I miss people watching 'cause that place as Jack would say, "had a plethora of crazy people." I used to practically laugh out loud at some of their outfits. Some of them came in looking like gals on the stroll if you know what I mean. Now who does laundry in 4 inch spike heels and mini skirts? Guess they were looking for new boyfriends?????

Well it is back to the sock for me. I want to get a new pair on needles in the next couple days for my girlfriend for her birthday. I still have some great yarn I bought several months back that has a great colorway to it.

You all have a wonderful Tuesday! I am going to get in my blanky and knit for awhile. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-01-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies! Only 41 degrees right now and not going to get much warmer today. A new record high was set yesterday with 79. We had a big storm last night. Faye must be sending me her weather again!

Nothing happening today but work and work. I went to do my weight lifting at 7 am this morning then walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

Faye, I'm one who will continue to go to meetings. I have a good leader, interesting meetings, and the repetition keeps the things I need to do to the fore front in my mind. Everytime I stop, things start sliding and I start gaining. There is proof that people who attend meetings lose 3 times for weight and keep it off better than those who don't. The thing is, we all know what we need to do to lose weight, but we don't do it. I'm fortunate in that I'm probably going to be within 2 pounds of my goal weight at the meeting this week so I'll be able to quit paying - but I'll still be going. I tried on the size 12 jeans that have been my inspiration this morning and the fit. I'm sure after I sit in them for awhile they'll be baggy. I have to email my friend who passed them along to me and let her know I finally made it. I have a lazy boy recliner that looks like a queen anne chair. I love it and it was worth every penny.

Jean, you definitely win for higher taxes. I'd die if they wanted to raise the water bill that much here. My water is billed every other month and it is $16 and then the sewer is another $12 every 2 months. Trash is part of my homeowner dues.

Maggie, you know we are here to support you and Faye in your weight loss journey. I'm sure both of you can do this on your own, I just can't. I haven't been to Applebee's in a long time. The one that was near me closed when they tore the shopping center down and rebuilt it.

Well, I need to get to work since breaktime is over. Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a 40 degree morning here in the Heartland. I am sipping my morning coffee and am waking up to a new month. It is March folks. Yep a new month is upon us. I am going to cook a portion of a pork tenderloin for dinner this day. The recipe is called "Pork Tenderloin w/Pomegranate Glaze." A serving of the pork and 2 teaspoons glaze comes to 5 points+. That will be good with my rice mix and a leafy salad. I freeze pork tenderloin in half pound chunks which is 2 servings worth. When I freeze it I wrap it in plastic wrap then in foil then put all portions in a plastic bag. Soon I am going to spring for one of those machines that suck the air out of the bags. That's another thing I used to have. They, no doubt, have better ones on the market now though. Keeps your frozen foods fresher much longer. In the meantime I just do the best I can with what I have and life is good. I will get a chicken out of the freezer and let it be thawing in the fridge to cook in the rotisserie this week. I make a spice mix and pull back the skin and place the spices on the meat then replace the skin. It is so moist and makes several good meals cooked that way ~ discarding the skin before carving. It is amazing how many points can be saved by not eating that skin.

DONNA FAYE I do hope dear that you can find a good groomer for your baby. The boys came home smelling so good. They both took long naps and slept good through the night ~ both on the foot of the bed not bothering our sleep a bit. I can just see those needles flying while you feveriously knit those sox. It is nice to have a variety of yarns to choose from right in your own place. Susan has material and I have glass. I need to get some more glass for I am out of some of the colors I need.

SUSAN Our temp is just about the same today. Here it is supposed to be in the 50's for the most part the rest of the week. I probably would still be going to WW but that leader is dumber than a box of rocks on lots of things and the meetings are not inspiring for me. I just get tired of putting myself in that situation and like I said I have a perfectly good set of scales : at home and all the tools to do a good program. I am just tired of it all and pouring my money down a perverable rat hole and forcing myself to go somewhere I don't want to be. Out in CA the meetings were so much fun and we all looked forward to being there. The leader was a jewel. In fact we still keep in touch. In bigger areas you can choose the time you go and find one of the leaders that inspire you. Here she is the only game in town. There is more that I could rant about but enough said on that subject. Applebees makes it easy to get an on program meal where I don't have think about it and they do a good job of fixing it. But we are getting so tired of eating out. Time to get back to basics I guess.

JEAN & GAIL Hope all is well with you this day.

OK it is time for me to go get some things done this day. Be safe all you Magnolias and I will be typing at y'all later.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day in my neighborhood! I thought I had posted this morning and then realized I hadn't. It was my morning to work in the gift shop -- even sold $64 worth of items for a nice change. Bob came in and we had lunch in the coffee shop. I should go donate blood this afternoon; I had a bad experience the last time so it wouldn't take much to talk myself out of it, but feel I should give it one more try.

Maggie -- Congrats on the GREAT loss of 2.6#s! I know all about a leader with no pizazz! I used to weigh in and then leave rather than stay for the meetings. She finally gave up the ship and the leader I have took over. I'd rather go during the day so didn't switch back to the night meeting. Did you make your pomegranate glaze or is that something you can buy? Sounds good.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about Jack hurting his back. Do you think he over compensates for his sore knees? Good luck getting Kelly's socks done -- you will do it!

Susan -- You were an early bird today to get your and done before work. I hope both jobs will go smoothly for you today. I am proud of you and your size 12 jeans! You have done so well with the program! I, too, need the meetings even though I'm certainly not as faithful to the program as you are.

I need to pick up a couple things at the grocery store and will decide on my way home whether or not to donate blood. Have a terrific rest of the day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

HOWDY THIS AFTERNOON

I am one happy camper. Will came back from his errands and brought with him a super duper Food Saver vacuum sealing system. He bought a much nicer one than I was looking at. It has all the bells and whistles that one would ever need to vacuum seal food. I am going to order some of the canasters that can be vacuum sealed. Vacuum sealing foods keeps it much fresher. For instance sealing almonds or peanuts they last 2 years where as if you don't seal them they last only 6 months. It lengthens the life of frozen beef from 6 months to 3 years. That is most helpful to the budget when we buy half a beef. This is one appliance that I missed a lot and now I have a much better one.

JEAN You are so nice to donate blood. They won't let me because I take BP meds or I would be a regular donator. Do they make hot dishes in the coffee shop or just sandwich type things and munchies. I will make the glaze for it is included in the instructions on the recipe.

Just had to peek in and tell y'all about my new goodie.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #14  

Maggie -- I'm glad Will was able to surprise you with a food vacuum system! I know you will enjoy using it! I didn't end up giving blood today -- talked myself out of it when I had to wait a half hour after I finished at the gift shop and it was open yet. I take bp meds and still donate. I asked one time about the med checking and was told that certain meds having to do with the heart, lungs, blood (coumadin), and other medical conditions will keep a person from donating. Each time they have to look up my meds to ok them even though they are recorded in an "official" little book I got from the doctor himself. The coffee shop serves toast, eggs, different kinds of sandwiches, cookies, muffins, and pie with a variety of lattes and teas. We have a chef in the cafeteria who makes all of the hospital food; some of the staff will get carry out from there and come eat in the coffee shop because it is on the south side and the sun shines in.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies. Just a short note this morning as Jack is having a real rough time of it so I am trying to do everything with him home, etc. He is off work until Monday and they have him on Flexeril, but it dopes him up pretty badly so he tries to stretch it out and use a heating pad inbetween times. He has slept a lot, but being upstairs I don't always know how soundly he is sleeping. I think he had a rough night last night.

I am going to get dressed and go to the grocery store in a few minutes. We need a couple things and Jack usually goes, but he is no shape to get in the car and drive at the moment.

I am about 85% done with the other sock so hope I can finally get the thing finished. I have just had a lot of achy hands and a sore shoulder muscle on my left side, which is my "knitting" hand so it makes it hard to knit for very long. I have to sit in a certain position to knit comfortably and with a sore shoulder it isn't comfortable to do so, but it is getting there. She has waited patiently for the socks and I want to get them to her.

Gals, I am going to cut this short so I can clean up breakfast stuff and get to the store. Have a good day all! Faye