Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Default Empty closet freak out

I have resisted getting new clothes for the most part. Winter is almost over (at least I freaking hope it is) and I hope and plan to be smaller by next fall, so I don't want to buy a bunch of new clothes. I work in a very professional job, so I wear dresses or skirt suits every day. That's a lot of cashola.

Now because I was a size 34 and I now right in the middle between a 18/20 and a 22/24, the 34's are HUGE on me. I knew they were big, but people have started to comment that I need new clothes. I finally broke my denial today and started trying on clothes from my closet. I looked like a little kid trying on mommy's clothes. They looked terrible.

So I started weeding out. In total, I cleared out 26 outfits. Which left me with.... almost nothing! And I haven't even touched my casual clothes yet.

My closet is empty and yet I don't want to buy expensive clothes for just 1 season.

I realize this is a good problem to have, but I'm still freaking out!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #2  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Funny, I was thinking about this today and I am only dealing with being 2 sizes down, not as many as you! Wow, that is freakin' awesome. You have done an amazing job!

Have you considered taking a few skirts to the tailor to have them taken in? This way you only have to buy a few new shirts. In another post someone mentioned picking up a few "new" things at a second hand store/thrift shop. I used to have a mental block going to places like that but once I was there and found some AWESOME things, I got over it! :-)

Congrats on your weight loss. Sorry it had to come with a price of having an empty closet but I guaranty that when you put your body in those new, thinner clothes, you are going to feel amazing! :-)

Last edited by ShanIAm; 02-27-2011 at 04:31 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Time to hit up goodwill and salvation army. XD
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #4  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

maybe try charity shops or something? i know a lot of people dont like that idea, but its not forever and it has to be better than clothes that are way too big. alternatively you could try sales, or maybe having your old clothes altered?
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Thrift stores will be your friend. If you ever get to Utica, Syracuse, Albany (not sure where Northern you are) it's easy to find lots of places to shop. Even small towns often have thrift stores in churches. but you don't get as much variety. I was lucky enough to have several small thrifts plus a consignment shop. My nicer stuff went to the consignment store to help fund my newer clothes
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Thrift Shops, TJMaxx (I got a great black dress for $10), hit up some yard sales in the spring. Invest in maybe one or two plain dresses/pants and play it up with accessories.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #7  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

First I want to say CONGRATULATIONS!!

You've lost over 100 pounds = OVER 400 STICKS O BUTT-ER!!

THAT IS AMAZING!!

As for the clothing . . . I too hit the Good Will, but I go to the nicest part of town and go to their Good Will, as that is where the "rich" people bring their used clothing . . . I've had some amazing finds . . . now granted it may take a little time and I have even bought a few items that were just a little bit too small so I had something "new" as I lost more weight . . . You'd be surprised at what you can find.
MadamButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Have you looked at the mall lately?? I bought a $200 coat yesterday for $21.00 (including tax)!!! (and it's a springish color that will work until Easter!)

Kohls, JC Penney, Macy's are all having giant clearance sales. Up to 90% off on stuff....and if you get in on their online e-mail promotions you can save an extra 10-20% on EVERYTHING, (Even clearance stuff) You can get brand new stuff for CHEAPER than thrift shop stuff. Look closely, a lot of the clothes on the clearance racks are left over from summer and fall...

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-27-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6''

Go to one of those places where they'll pay you for your clothes!! They usually only take NICE stuff, so you'll only get NICE stuff. All at a discount!!
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Go to those stores having sales, buy a few solid color dresses if you can find them, then try to find some bright colored jackets that are on the tight side so you can use them right through Spring. Black slacks and long sleeved black tees are my go-to outfit with different jackets. I bought four new jackets at Macys, at one of their ONE DAY sales for less than $8 each, and they have really stretched my wardrobe!
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I know that this sounds terrible, but the thought of going to a thrift place and wearing someone else's stuff totally grosses me out. I know it's stupid it just is a mental thing...

We don't have a Macy's near here, but we do have a JC Penney's, TJ Maxx (which I have never been in) and a Kohl's. Being as large as I was, I haven't shopped for clothes in actual stores in years. I did everything online, mostly at Roaman's. So I have to even discover which stores carry good clothes. I have bought a very few things - maybe 3 tops (including a cute one I got on clearance at Walmart for $5 - who knew??!!) and a stretchy black skirt that is a little tight, but should be perfect through the spring and even the summer. I have taken a couple of skirts in at the waist that will extend their life a couple more months I think.

I think I might have to take a day off work, when the stores aren't so busy and just commit to a day of shopping...
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #12  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

We have a great thrift shop called unique. Try to find a thrift or charity shop that has things organized by size. I sometimes go and can find things with labels still on. $6 for talbots pants can't be beat. Also consider eBay, or even posting on craigslist or freecycle in case people are giving away things in your size.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #13  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Well, when I try on and buy a brand new pair of pants from the store it's a pretty safe bet that a few people tried them on before me.....without them being washed! So buying previously worn clothes don't bother me as I know I'm going to take them home and throw them right into the washer. Just like the new clothes I buy. And honestly, 70% of the clothes I have picked up at thrift stores still have their original tags.

Last edited by ShanIAm; 02-27-2011 at 06:35 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'4"

I just went through the same thing, trust me, do not complain about this to friends that are not losing weight, you do not get a lot of sympathy LOL I've been told its a good problem too. But its hard when you now have next to nothing to wear and are still losing so you don't want to buy all new stuff. I found that a lot of stores are clearing out their winter stuff right now, so its a good time to buy a few new skirts or basic black dress pants that you can wear into spring, also the open cardigan style sweaters are really in right now and a lot are 3/4 sleeves, through a cami underneath and some nice accesories and you are good to go!
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #15  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh my goodness, how awesome for you!! That is a major, major transformation! You must just be on cloud nine!

You already have plenty of advice. I'll just add that you should maybe go sparse with a couple neutral pair of pants and a few amazing tops. That's all you really need. One decent dress should get you through any major functions over the next season. I currently own two pair of casual pants, one pair of jeans and about seven tops I rotate around. I so can't wait to get to goal already and go shopping! But in the meantime, I'm actually liking my bare closet. Laundry's easy!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote