Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

Default WL books

Anyone know of any good books about overeating or food issues? We're watching TBL & someone was talking about homework & I was thinking that's not a bad idea. Reading support books & maybe trying to figure out why I gained the weight would be a really good idea.

Thanks!
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/192.5/130

Default Books..

Hello

I am currently reading two of which I will recommend only one. The one I am reading that is pretty good and very interesting is:

Made to Crave - BY Lysa Terkhuerst
I will warn that it is Faith based, but a great read.

Over the years, I have read many other great books on weight loss. I love memoirs and have read many that were wonderful. As for more inner reflection type books, I have a few titles to recommend as well:

The Ultimate Weight Solution - Dr. Phil McGraw
Why Weight? - Geneen Roth (All of her books are great)
Are You Ready? - Bob Harper

These are a few of the MANY I have read. I recommend going to Amazon.com and checking out 'diet' or 'weight loss' under books. Read the reviews and you will get some great ideas!

Good LucK!
meltitaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks!! I was actually hoping for something faith-based. I just ordered a couple of Geneen Roth's books actually. I'm not a big Dr. Phil fan, so I passed on his. lol And I'll definitely look into Bob's - I love him!

Thanks so much!
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Books that have really helped me:

The Duke Diet: The World-Renowned Program for Healthy and Lasting Weight Loss by Howard J. Eisenson M.D. and Martin Binks Ph.D. (Where I first encountered the concept of lower-carb exchange plans).

Exchanges for All Occasions: Your Guide to Choosing Healthy Foods Anytime Anywhere Fourth Edition by Marion J. Franz (an exchange-counting reference book, that lists exchange values for common foods).

Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life by
Christian B. Allan & Wolfgang Lutz (exploring the connection between excess carbohydrates and autoimmune and other disease)

Going Against the Grain: How Reducing and Avoiding Grains Can Revitalize Your Health by Melissa Smith

Primal Blueprint, Neanderthin, The Paleo Diet (in general, "ancestor" diets, which also explore the connection between excessive grain and carb consumption and "lifesyle" diseases. Some of the authors can be biased, "overstating" the case (I would argue, though I spent many years biased against low-carb dieting, so this may be more my bias than the authors'). At any rate, the research that is cited is quite interesting, and I think does successfully challenge many of the criticisms against lower-carb dieting.

Good Calories, Bad Calories (and other books by Gary Tuabes)

The End of Overeating by David Kessler

The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories by Barbara J. Rolls

The Low-Carb Bible by Elizabeth Ward (reviews and compares popular l lower-carb and carb-conscious plans such as the Schwarzebein Principe, Susan Somers' book, South Beach, Atkins, Neanderthin...)

The Unofficial Guide to Dieting Safely (Macmillan Lifestyles Guide.) by Janis Jibrin (old and out-of-print, but a wonderful overview of many diet plans and their safety)

Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata (some people see the book as as "depressing," I see it as "understanding the enemy")

Refuse to Regain by Barbara Berkely (a book about weight loss maintenance, but also very helpful at any stage of weight loss).

Last edited by kaplods; 02-27-2011 at 05:33 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote