Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

Default Hot to tell if these 2 lbs I agined were from muscles

This is the first week that I actually gained. I've been watching what I eat, obessively counting calories and haven't been lacking on exercising at all. It's been over a month since I've been working out at the gym (cardio and weight training) so could the 2 lbs be from muscle? And yes I've been very very dedicated.
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

It is possible that your muscle are retaining water to aid in healing, but not likely that a 2lb gain is from muscle. But if you're eating on plan and exercising regularly, then you are doing what you need to do! Sometimes there are just fluctuations like this, and provided you are staying on plan, they will resolve themselves. You're doing great!!
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #3  

The only way to tell for sure is to regularly get your body fat measured, using accurate, or mostly accurate measuring tools. Even then all it will truly tell you is if you lost fat, gained fat, or stayed the same. As the above poster stated it could very well be water retention being held by your muscle structure to aid in recovery. It could also be muscle growth.

Keep to it.
Ultreos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Relax. Our bodies are composed of 70% water and that water fluctuates, a lot. It could be water retention for various reasons including muscle healing, hormones, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I think you can certainly drive yourself crazy trying to figure out if it's fat muscle or water you gained. So.... don't worry about it. Just enjoy your new body as it evolves!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

If all of your clothes are suddenly lose but the scale isn't moving or you go up a point muscles probably have something to do with it. If everything fits the same it's probably water weight.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #7  

It's highly unlikely you have gained 2 pounds of muscle unless you are training for a triathlon. The only way to accurately measure fat is underwater and it is very expensive.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

An overweight untrained beginner who lifts heavy weights *would* gain more muscle than the average person who lifts ("newbie gains") but 2lbs for a female in that amount of time, nope. However, it is likely due to water retention which everyone experiences when they start in the gym. If your calories are in check, then please try to ignore the scale at this time.

Logically, you KNOW that eating the right calories combined with exercise must help you on your downward trend, you may just not see it explicitly soon. Keep going, you are doing great.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

It is actually extremely possible that someone your size could put on 2 lbs of muscle in a month assuming you are new to weight lifting. I'm not sure why many think women can't gain muscle quickly. Women can gain muscle at roughly half the speed of men and when you first start lifting muscle can be added quickly even in a caloric deficit if they are overweight.

Having said that this week you did not gain two lbs of weight because of muscle gain. This is why I suggest people weigh in daily and observe how their bodies water weight flucuates up and down. Tomorrow you may be 5 lbs lighter.

Regardless, someone your size should lose weight week over week if they are following a well designed program. Hard to say what is happening without more details.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
It is actually extremely possible that someone your size could put on 2 lbs of muscle in a month assuming you are new to weight lifting.
No one said she didn't gain muscle but that just 2 lbs of muscle in a week? I really think that isn't possible. Woman tend to retain water more than men so our weights tend to fluctuate more.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #11  

Also, to gain muscle, you need to lift heavy and eat the right food. The poster didn't say what she was doing. Not to criticize my gender, but most of us don't do that.

Stasia, tell us a little more about your lifting and eating.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

No female can gain 2lbs of lean muscle per week, even with steroids.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

i dont do exetreme lifting, but not light where I don't feel my muscles working. That's the best I can say. Usually I weigh myself on Wednesday that is my official weight, but before Wednesday I was at my goal of 259 like on Sunday. Should I weigh myself and just go with the lowest weight that week? I really liked that 259. I'm losing inches and I do cardio for 40 mins, but thats increasing.
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #14  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

My body retains a LOT of water and it drives me nuts when I step on that scale. LOL But I admit that I probably don't drink enough water during the day which is supposed to help rid your body of that water. Eh, I give up completely understanding what is going on in there! haha I just know that I am eating right and exercising hard so I know that there is NO WAY I can be gaining weight. And you are obviously doing something right to have lost the weight you have so far.

Just keep on keeping on! :-)
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #15  

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you weigh daily or weekly. But if you weigh weekly, weigh at the same time and in the same situation each week and just go with that number. There will be some ups and downs with your weight, but if you keep eating right and exercising you will lose fat. The weight lifting is good and will help you maintain some muscle mass, but you aren't lifting or eating to build a lot of muscle, so it's unlikely you've gained 2 pounds of muscle.

Good luck!