Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #1  
sugar is the devil

Default Blood Tests?

I've been wanting to take some blood tests to see what's happening inside my body (cholesterol, lipids, glucose, thyroid hormones, etc). Then, I wanna retake them in 6 months, a year, etc to see how well I'm improving. I've moved to a new city last fall and so I don't have a regular MD here.

Can I just go to any walk-in clinic, tell them I'm losing weight and that I'm interested in a few blood tests? Would they be willing to accommodate my request (I mean, I'm not going because I got the flu - I'm just curious about my blood levels)? My grandpa has Type-2 diabetes so I have some reason why I want to make sure things are a-ok now (even tho I'm young; 23).

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 02-23-2011 at 06:04 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #2  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

hmm. i'm not sure, but i do know that if you donate blood, they give you an access code and you can go online and view your cholesterol levels and maybe a few other things.

it's free and you're also saving a life
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

When's the last time you had a physical? if it's been over a year, go in for a yearly physical. Insurance picks that up as a normal appt. Now, getting it again in 6 months, not so sure about that one. Only if they see a problem will the insurance companies pick up the tab again.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #4  
sugar is the devil

I'm from Canada so I have access to public health care; I don't think I would get charged for this.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you have a regular doc you can schedule an appt with? I've had doctors want me to have a blood test before my physical so that they could discuss the blood tests with me at the physical. Other docs will have you take the blood test the day of the physical and mail you the results.

For some of the blood tests, you have to have a 12 hour fast so just walking in might not cut it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 348/Ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I've worked for a few physicians in the past, and they did lab on new patients at their request. Just pick a MD you'd like to use and talk to him/her about your concerns.

At your age, I honestly don't think bloodwork every 6 months is necessary, but definitely yearly. Don't quote me on that, you might go see a doctor and him tell you otherwise, that's just my opinion. Good luck!
IheartZumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

If you have a family doc, I would go that route. S/he will likely want to know the results and will want to encourage you on your journey. My doc wants to recheck my results yearly since I am not in a risk category. (there is a good program she has that analyzes my results, and family history to come up with a risk assessment).
But for some tests you will have to pay to have them repeated before a certain time unless you are at risk by your docs definition. (at least thats how it works in Ontario, not sure about Alberta)
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #8  
sugar is the devil

Ah, I just said 6 months just to set an example of what I had in mind. Probably would redo in a year. I do not have a regular doctor as I just moved here in the fall. A walk-in would be my only option right now.

I may just call the walk-in near my house next Monday and ask them if I could just walk in and do it. Just thought I would ask here to see if anyone had experience with going down this route before so I knew how to set it up. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

You can do a walk in, but you need to get a doctor sooner or later, so why not sooner? You have health care, use it properly and find a doctor, make an appointment and get seen by the doctor. The last thing you want is for some health problem to creep up and then find that you can't be seen in a timely fashion because you have yet to become a doctor's patient and have to wait longer for an appt. BTDT in Canada and in the USA. Learned my lesson the hard way.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #10  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, if you're going to be in your new city for awhile, why not just go ahead and get a new doctor. Ask around where you work or among friends and see if they recommend anyone. Check your insurance and make sure they are covered. Make an appt for a physical/blood tests, then go back in a year and see all your progress!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote