General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'-1"

Question Tape measure vs. Scales?

Okay, I don't own a set of scales. I only know how much I weigh because I weighed myself at my Grandmother's and well.... almost cried all over Sunday dinner. So, I have been measuring myself all over and keeping track of loss that way. I have heard that it's bad to have scales in the house because they only upset you. But, well if I gained 5 pounds more I think I would want to be upset so I could work harder... I am sure it's a personal choice, but what do you wall think... Tape Measure or Scale?

P.S. Yes, it's a sewing tape measure not going to slice myself on an industrial one.
DanielleLynnMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

Not to complicate your life more, but I think both! Each tool has its own benefits. That being said, I weigh daily and I don't think I could stay motivated if I didn't have any way of weighing at all.

Congratulations on beginning your journey!
ElisabethCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I agree completely - not one VS. the other but one as well as the other. Like it's not healthy eating VS. exercise, but the combination. Just focus on doing what you can each day, each meal, and add in whatever activity you can. Don't stress at this point - focus on the process and the outcome will follow.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Both here, too, as long as you understand they are both nothing more than a tool. I use the scale every single day and it has taught me a lot about my body. I also understand now that I have a very solid, very frustrating pattern of losing big (like 5-7 pounds big) one week out of every month and stall the other three. When I didn't know that, I used to give up, gaining anything lost plus friends each and every time.

I have also learned that I lose weight without losing inches BUT I also lose inches without losing weight. For me, they don't coincide. Just recently I lost 8 pounds in one week and when I excitedly measured I was disappointed to find the only place I could find I'd lost inches was a half inch in each thigh. With 8 pounds? Really? This week I've stalled and have lost 1.5 inches off my waist, hips and chest, each!

Most importantly though, I use the scale because it is what's going to keep me honest in maintenance. If I have to face that scale every single day, I can never again bury my head in the sand. The problem with judging by clothing fit, especially in the plus sizes, is that a good 20+ pounds can go by without even noticing. That's a lot! That's what happened to me. I finally bit the bullet and bought those 18's, which were loose. I felt good that they were loose. I wasn't that bad. Then slowly, too slowly to notice, those 18's grew snug until I finally bit the bullet to go up "just one more size". Well boy, I hadn't realized that was the difference between weighing 207 and weighing 235.

Last edited by Eliana; 02-23-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Scales only upset you if you LET them. I think the scale is a useful tool and check my weight almost daily. I only record it on Mondays but it's nice to just hop on whenever I feel up to it.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'-1"

Default So... here we go then...

Okay, thanks for all the advice and it really sounds like a combo would be best. I'm off to Walmart after work and buy a set of scales. I think I was so horrified by the initial weigh in I didn't want to see it again. But, now I know if I hadn't perhaps I wouldn't be on this road. Thanks a million!!
DanielleLynnMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote