Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Default All my excuses are gone! (mostly)

I'm terrible about working out... just awful! I have an excuse for every single option.

You know, it's either too hot or too cold to walk outside, too unsafe, too dark, too bright too _____... Buying a treadmill is too expensive and we don't have room for it (ok that last part is true, we're busting at the seams!).

Then gyms, oh me oh my. I haven't been to one in ages and they're so intimidating! My excuses for that have been they're too expensive, I can't do a long contract, big enrollment fee, and don't want to be around a bunch of men but can't afford the women only facilities.

Oh! And I don't really like videos because I get bored and hate doing it in front of my husband (hey... I jiggle like jello! Don't want him thinking about that during other times! Heh!).

Well, I got an email from my health insurance company today (whom I actually really love) and they have agreements with fitness facilities all over the country. So, for $29 enrollment fee and $29 dollars a month I get access to a local gym. The perks are 1. I can cancel at any time with no penalties 2. if I travel I can look and see if there's a contract facility in the area and use it for no additional charge 3. The local gym has a women's only area.

Even if this package doesn't include the pool, classes and some of the other "upgrades" it's still a darn good deal. I'm totally strapped for time (as is everyone ) but I think I can convince my husband to take the kids to daycare Tuesday and Thursday so I can go before work then I'll go at lunch Monday and Wednesday since he has class from 8 am until 9pm. That leaves the weekend to spend as much time as possible with the family. Whew! Life is crazy.

Here's to hoping I'll be self-confident enough to go until it becomes habit... fake it til you make it!!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #2  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post

Well, I got an email from my health insurance company today (whom I actually really love) and they have agreements with fitness facilities all over the country. So, for $29 enrollment fee and $29 dollars a month I get access to a local gym. The perks are 1. I can cancel at any time with no penalties 2. if I travel I can look and see if there's a contract facility in the area and use it for no additional charge 3. The local gym has a women's only area.

Here's to hoping I'll be self-confident enough to go until it becomes habit... fake it til you make it!!
This sounds like an awesome deal! Go for it! And yes, fake it 'til you make it ~ you might end up having days that you actually look forward to going to the gym!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #3  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

i agree! I use to feel that way about gyms but ive fallen in love with mine!!!
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

It took me 5 years to finally get back into a gym. And I agree, it is very intimitaing at first. I spent the first couple visits hanging out on the treadmill or elliptical watching people doing the weights. It took me a few visits to finally feel comfortable going into "that" area! With men! LOL I love that you found the perfect gym. And I used to belong to a gym that had a pool and I used it ONCE. The gym I joined now doesn't have one which is totally fine. It took me just a week (going 5x in that week) to be addicted. The "high" you'll feel when you put in a good workout and see your resistance levels increase is like none other.

Congrats on making that first step and joining! Keep up the awesome work!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I took a tour of the gym today with my husband and it's quite massive. They've double in size since the last time I was there (around 11 years ago).

It was a little older but has everything I'll ever need. I can also pay $50 for my son (the fish!) to swim all summer plus I get one free hour of training to get me started. They were pretty nice and not condescending at all; I'm always worried about rude comments and such at gyms but they even have signs stating if anyone is beligerent to staff, guests or members they will be refused service.

I also found out my health insurance gives me points every time I work out that can eventually be used for gift cards, electronics, etc. So in theory, I could get a new iPod for working out. Woot!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote