Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #9

Good morning to you all! Today is Fortune's vet day so I will be going upstairs and showering and such to get ready for the day and get things done. I still have to get Super Target and Fresh Market today and get our darned car washed, vacuumed and the inside all cleaned up. Jack gets it dirty driving it back and forth to work now.

Susan: Those morons next door drive me to distraction with the washer business and throwing stuff over the fence. I found those super hot cheetos on the deck the other day. How sick would that have made Fortune. You know, be peeved at me all your want even though it is all your fault, but don't take it out on an innocent dog. I am thrilled you are up and around and feeling so much better. Sometimes a good long rest is just the ticket to help things along. You got some great deals. We went into Walmart in Indiana because I needed a nicer sweater or top to wear while I was up there and I got a cute purple and white lightweight striped sweater for $5 on clearance. I figure horizontal stripes aren't going to make me look any bigger than I already am so.....

Jean: I heard the upper midwest really got slammed by another snowstorm and the wind was causing problems. We had a really windy day here yesterday but it was almost 80. The commissary was a nightmare yesterday. I don't know why everyone was shopping as it wasn't any of the paydays for anyone. We were waiting in line and I told the guy ahead of us I couldn't believe how busy there were and that we always try to go on off paydays. He said he did too and was surprised as how busy they were. Because it was an off weekend, they of course didn't have enough checkouts open so the line was down the block so to speak. Of course my none too patient husband was peeved, but what can you do? I think is is funny that really though a lot of rumors, the truth about JFK and Marilyn Monroe, his brother Bobby too was not really admitted until about 20 years ago. The Chappaquittick thing has always been denied, but everyone knows the truth. Their father was a womanizer big time and they just took up the slack. The generations after that haven't been much better, but not one Kennedy has become president since then. Ted's politics were wayyyy too liberal for the country. He wouldn't have given it away free with his social crap.

Maggie: Jack fixed my machine yesterday morning so I could print off my grocery list and told me he knows what is wrong and fixed it. I hope so because I don't like to send something to print then sit there and nothing comes out. Other times it works like a dream so who knows? I love children around Jackson's age and before school age. They can say some of the funniest things. I hope you enjoyed your lip gloss and coffee!

We are going to have beef and noodles tonight for supper. Jack and I are one of the few hold outs on the new WW. We are continuing on the old one. Jack likes it, he can figure out the old points even on the new packaging and stuff. We try and eat much more nutrionally when on WW anyway so I don't want to have to rejoin even online and pay all that money when what we have works for us.

You gals have a great day. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a cold day this day in the hearland. The temp is 20 and feels like 6 with the NNW wind at 16 MPH. The high this day is expected to be in the 40's. Jacket weather when I go out to WW this evening. I certainly am hoping for a loss for I have not even touched those 49 "extra" points. It hasn't really been a hungry week for me. Since we plan on taking a vacation toward the end of next month, we got out our two way radios and are getting re-aquainted with them and charged up. We like to have them along when we go "out there." I remember the time when we were fishing in the wild and Will was around the bend and on his way back saw some huge mountain lion fresh paw prints in the sand along the river that hadn't been there when he walked by that area before. He radioed me heads up ~ get back to camp. That is all he said and I knew to do just that. There was a lion somewhere out there between he and me. When he cautiously made his way back he saw where the prints headed off into the hills. We figured the kitty was just thirsty and came down for a drink. There wasn't even a breeze that day so he didn't smell us on the wind. Fortunate for us. We don't go "out there" without our long guns but why tempt fate. We had already caught enough fish that day. Anyway these radios are fun to have and work where cell phones won't. It is important to us to be able to be in touch with each other when we are separated out there. Just doing what we can to remain safe. As a kid I learned a lot about hunting and stuff from my dad and his brothers.

DONNA FAYE Thanks for getting us a new place to type. I totally think it is fine if you follow the old WW way of counting points. A gal has to do what works best for her. Wonder what caused all those folks to flock to the commissary. Maybe the food prices going up scared some. Pay checks just don't go as far and things are going to get worse before they get any better. Aren't kids so precious. I get little cut out hand prints from my friends that have moved back east that I put on the fridge. They were able to buy one of those places that folks had to give up for one reason or another. It has a huge amount of acres with it out in PN where they get snow in feet not inches. Paid cash for it since they sold their place here and got cash for it. Life is good. Nice to own your property out right.

JEAN Back to answer your question about why I don't dry onions in my dehydrator. They permiate the house with the smell. I don't like having my whole house smelling like onions. I buy them already in dryed form to use. And that is they why.

Everyone have a safe beginning of a new week. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-21-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a crappy weather day in my neighborhood! The temp is 18 with a wind chill of -1, obviously windy, cloudy, and cold! I went to church this morning to count money; the treasurer got it to balance and went on her merry way. I couldn't get my part to balance so had to have the secretary help me figure it out. Now I know why I didn't like accounting in school! Then I met friends for lunch and we played cards afterwards for a couple hours. Now I'm home for a bit and off to card club tonight.

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread today. The only real weather warning we've had is for major spring flooding again. It comes down from Fargo, ND, on the west and into the Missouri River, while the eastern part of the state gets it from MN and into the Mississippi River. There are multiple midstate rivers, which flood, that come down from MN also. I'm glad we just have the lake and it has an outlet so never floods. We just get wet basements if the water table gets too high. I'm glad Jack was able to fix your printer for you.

Maggie -- Good luck at WW tonight! I wouldn't want to share space with a mountain lion! We use walkie talkies (?) when we are at the resort in MN. The guys have used them to get help when their boat motor quit and they couldn't get it started. That was before cell phones, but we like to keep in touch between cabins since we aren't next door to each other. I use dry onion quite a bit because the kids can't always find them in the mix.

Susan -- Are you working or today?

Bob should be home shortly so guess I will check out the fridge. Since I ate lunch out, and we divided a wonderful brownie, ice cream, whipped cream, with a cherry on top of each section dessert, I'm not the least bit hungry. It was not a WW friendly lunch but oh, so delicious!

Enjoy your evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #4  

Good morning to everybody. It is cooler this morning, in the 40's but not particularly cold. I am going to turn off the ceiling fan though. That makes it a bit chilly in here.

Boy, howdy, the landlord for next door was mad as a wet hen when she called me yesterday morning. They are about ready to bounce the tenants next door. The man showed up at the condo about 15 minutes after I talked to his wife on the phone then called in a plumber. We saw him leave when we got back from taking the dog to the vet and a while later she called. She said from now on if we had one smidge of trouble to call her directly and immediately. She even gave me her personal cell phone number in case the office was closed. This couple owns dozens of condos and homes they rent out and they don't put up with nonsense like what is going next door. Part of the problem is that the woman on the lease is only home on Sat and Sun. I guess her grown kids live there and that is who has been letting the washing machine act up. Anyway, hopefully it is now fixed. They did offer to replace the flooring, but I told her honestly that the linoleum was old and the whole thing had to go so replacing just the bathroom wouldn't do much good. I appreciated them willing to do it though.

Fortune did famously at his dr appt. He lets them poke and prod him without so much as a whimper. Doc trimmed his nails for me too and I found out they have approved the heartworm shot now so no more of those chewy things. He gets a shot once every 6 months now, so I don't have to remember to give him the med now, which is fine by me. I have enough stuff to keep track of. The vet said he was in amazing shape for 11 years old. He told him, "you are a solid little thing." He said he had really good muscle tone and strength and a good strong heart so he doesn't need any heart meds. I did talk to him about the fact that over the last year, he sticks his tongue out farther, which I assumed helped him breathe better, but the doctor said there is no indication he is struggling for breath that his lungs sound good too. So, he now is free until May when he has to get his flu shot for the year then in August another heartworm shot. I do have to troll and find another groomer though. I really like Wesley but he isn't firm with Fortune and so doesn't do a very good job with him. When Fortune sits down, Wesley says he doesn't like to stress him out by making him stand up, but you just have to be firm with him sometimes. Paula always was, but she now has her grooming where she lives and that is way out by the commissary. So, I will start hunting up someplace else to get him groomed, I guess. It is convenient at the vets, which is just 2 blocks down the street, but at $40 a pop I want him trimmed well.

Jean: Sorry you are back in the freezing weather again. We are going to be cooler, but not cold by any means. We had planned on getting the car cleaned and just as we left home it started to rain. So, it still is filthy. We may go out this afternoon after dinner or just wait until the weekend. Glad everything balanced at church. It used to drive me bonkers when I couldn't get stuff to do right and I was alone in the office with no help and no way to get help. I don't miss it, that's for sure. Have you tried the new WW brownies? I am not too impressed as they aren't really moist, but if you need a chocolate fix they will do the trick. I bought a box of the Twinkie equivalents, but haven't tried them yet.

Maggie: I know that in the last 15 years or so the Hollywood Hills and that area are having more and more problems with mountain lions coming into living areas. We have encroached into animals territory so much they are finding less and less space to live in. I got tickled yesterday watching, "House Hunters" I think is what it was. They were buying a house in FLorida, in the Miami Beach area and they were all thrilled having found a house that backed up on a preserve so no building could take place behind them. She then whined about 'gators. I mean, come on, you want to live in south Florida near an area of wildlife and yet you think there won't be alligators? Pretty stupid thinking IMO. When you choose to live in an area where there is wildlife you have to respect it. I have become superstitious and decided not to post losses for awhile. Seems when I get going then I relapse so I am going to just check it out once a week, but not post losses for awhile. Hope your ww meeting comes out good for you.

Boy, I have work to get done this week. I haven't accomplished a whole lot yet, but I sure hope I can quit spinning my wheels. I did get laundry done yesterday and am deciding whether I want to go ahead and shampoo the dining room today and then start cleaning tomorrow or go ahead and clean. I want to wait to do the living area as we have to move furniture and rearrange to get get the loveseat in here when it comes.

Everyone have a grand day. Faye
Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is trying hard to peek through the cloud cover, still cold with a 0 wind chill. At least we didn't get anything except a few snow flurries last night. I have a dentist appointment this afternoon and need to vacuum the dust and fur bunnies before I leave.

"Gma" -- I"m glad the landlord (hopefully) is doing something about the neighbors. Does the washer belong to the renter or owner? It was nice of her to offer to replace your floor. For all the times it has happened you should have taken her up on the offer. Are the WW brownies new? I see new products advertised on tv or in magazines, and we don't get them until months later. I don't think I would want to live in alligator country!

I need to get dressed and get busy. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies. Yesterday it was 72 degrees and right now it is 33 degrees - springtime in VA keeps us guessing.

I went to the Y and then headed into work yesterday. I traded with another girl so I could go to River Country Quilters tonight. There is a speaker (quilter of course) from New Zealand who will be there tonight and I don't want to miss her.

Faye, it was nice of the landlord to offer to replace your bathroom floor. Those people living there are just not caring of others property. I hope she has a good security deposit from them she can keep. I'm glad Fortune is in such good shape - better than the rest of us and he's 77 in doggie years. You just do WW the way it works best for you. I like the new plan because it is more the way I eat anyway. I try to limit carbs to no more than 3 servings a day so my snacks are fruits, vegetables, and dairy. Since I have more points, I'm not using the ff cheese, reduced calorie bread, etc. I decided I'd have the real stuff because it tastes so much better and a little is satisfying. I can spend 3 points for 2 slices of reduced calorie double fiber wheat bread or 3 points for 2 slices of real whole grain wheat bread.

Jean, did you find the 15-beans? That soup recipe Maggie gave us is really good. I'm having some for dinner tonight with a salad.

Maggie, the 2-way radios are a great idea when you are wandering in the wilderness. Where are you going on your vacation?

I need to get back to work so have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly 35 degree day as I type that feels like 26 because of the wind chill. We were planning on going to our favorite meat market to get jerky today but changed our minds. I want to get some meat and make my own like I used to and my mother used to and my grandmother used to. But I have a dehydrator to make mine in and have a good mix to marinate the meat in that they used but I tweeked. 2 pounds of meat will make 1/2 pound of jerky and 2 1/2 ounces equals 2 points +. I have a good little booklet by Jay & Shirley Bills on "Home Food Dehydrating" which I depend on when using my dehydrator. BTW I showed a maintain. I sure hope I show a loss next week. I'll try to not use the extra points again this week. I think I will do some dehydrating tomorrow. Drying things take long hours and I want to get an early start. I am thinking of doing apples and they take 12 to 15 hours.

DONNA FAYE Did you ever think what the floor looks like under your linolium? It may have water damage like mold and mildew which happens anytime you get water on the sub floor and you may have to replace some of that which could cost some do re me. I know I would have taken the land lord up on the replacement and have it done professionally but that is just what I would do. I certainly do hope you won't run into any surprises when you go to replace it. Fortune has had such good "parents" that take good care of his needs so well so he is in such good shape. I commend you for that.

JEAN I certainly do hope they appreciate all that work you do at your church. You are a very valuable volunteer for sure. Heinz does a good job on making good tasting WW products for the most part. I also like Lean Q's for they have lots of good ones also. They both are introducing new products that help us down this road at trying to reduce our size.

SUSAN We are planning to visit New Mexico and explore that state some. We haven't been back there in years and there are places we want to explore. Have fun at your quilting meeting and I hope you learn some valuable things from the lady from New Zealand that came to speak to the group. I imagine "they" are always coming up with new things to do with quilting and you keep on top of everyting.

GAIL And what are you doing this day to keep yourself busy?

It is noon thirty and time for me to get something to eat. Type at y'all leter.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #8  

I am really bummed and very upset. As you know, several years ago, my cat Butterscotch died of kidney failure. It was very hard on me so much so in fact that Jack had to have him put to sleep because I couldn't. Well, I thought we had done really well yesterday with Fortune, but it looks like he has developed kidney disease and though they will medicate him, it will only get progressively worse. I couldn't believe it when she called this morning. Dogs BUN count should be around 24 and Fortune's is 61! He will start on medication tomorrow morning when I feed him and according to all the websites we should switch him to a certain kind of food to help his kidneys function up to their potential. Back when Fortune had that scare a few weeks ago, I questioned the vet tech about whether or not Fortune could have diabetes because he drank so much and urinated a lot more than he used to. She said dogs with diabetes didn't eat and Fortune eats great except he no longer will eat dry dog food. Now I now why. I guess I am sort of a coward because I don't want to face this. I know it isn't, but since Butterscotch died of the same issues, I feel like maybe I have done something wrong with them. Thanks for letting me just unload about this. I just needed to talk about it because I am just really upset. F
Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

DONNA FAYE I am so sorry to hear that about Fortune. And believe me it is NOT your fault so please don't compound things and blame yourself. There are no fingers being pointed you way. Gracious sakes I would trust any of my pets with you 100%. Just get him medicated & fed as instructed and go from there. He is your baby and I know you will give him the best of care. I truly do know that. And I will be praying for you in this trying time.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #10  

Susan -- I'm sure you are enjoying your evening with the quilting speaker. It was nice of your coworker to trade nights with you. The bean soup package I found doesn't say 15 bean, it's called "Mega Bean" -- I didn't buy it nor read the instructions because I was in a hurry. I will check at the other store the next time I am in there.

Maggie -- on the maintain. You are doing it the right way and that is what is important. Our gas dropped 10 cents to $3.05 yesterday and today it is back up to $3.09. I noticed several things in the grocery store have gone up by quite a bit.

"Gma" -- I understand how you are feeling about Fortune. Pets are so a part of the family. I hope that the meds and perhaps food that the vet would recommend will help him to be comfortable. Two of our previous threesome had tumors so I started giving Ernie filtered water, but I don't know that that had anything to do with their health.

Last edited by Jean; 02-22-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #11  

Good morning gals. I am better this morning and over the panic feeling. Jack talked at length to the vet tech yesterday and she said they caught it early so they are hoping the meds will help him. One thing is getting him to drink water. I see him drink water, I fill his bowl and feed him exclusively so I know he drinks water and eats. Nothing about this matches up to symptoms and such except the numbers. I am hoping when we take him back in a month his numbers have improved greatly and maybe it was a mistake or a fluke or whatever. I am not putting my head in the sand, I am realistic about the seriousness of it, but he absolutely has none of the symptoms. Dogs tend to not drink and eat enough so don't put out urine and such, but Fortune does all that. Anyhow, I do feel better than I did last night after reading all the articles online. I am trying to find something to put in his water to make him drink more so if you have any suggestions, let 'er rip. The vet tech said to do it to make him drink more. I tried mixing peanut butter, chicken stock, and honey. Nothing has made him drink more, but he is drinking so who knows?

Jean: I guess the brownies and the twinkie things are new, I don't know. I have never bought them before or seen them. I had to giggle thinking "mega bean" means mega gas! I love ham and navy bean soup, but Jack will not eat it so I never get it. I think I just overreacted with Fortune because of Butterscotch. I have always felt so guilty over him dying and I could do nothing. I always felt it was my fault, I did something wrong or something so of course when she called yesterday I just freaked.

Maggie: Thank you for making me feel better. I was much better after talking to Jack when he got home with Fortune's meds last night. He put me more at ease about it. Actually, I have pulled up the linoleum in the bathroom because I was concerned about the water underneath causing mold. Everytime it happens I pull it back, dry it up and then spray bleach compound to kill any mold. The flooring underneath it seems to be unneffected, thank goodness. We have decided to tile it by early next year and get rid of all of that. I just have to hang in there and do the best I can until we can replace the floors. Jack with his knees now just cannot install them himself, period so I have to have the extra money to have them installed. Jack and I rethought it all and decided instead of trying to save up the money to do all the downstairs floor, concentrate on getting the linoleum in the kitchen, laundry and bath ripped up and done first then work on getting money for the two rooms of carpet. We will keep an eye out for a sale and sometimes you can get free install if you watch Lowes and Home Depot.

Susan: I am doing more of a calorie counting program than WW. I pretty much follow what I would eat on WW, but I have a free Ap program that keeps track of weight loss, exercise and I can input food and it converts the calories, fat and such. It has a huge data base in it of brand stuff so pretty much anything I put in it comes up. One of my exercise problems is my bp med causes water retention/swelling the diuretic doesn't seem to handle and it can make it hard to walk and such. I have pretty much gone through every combo for bp meds there are so my dr felt what I am on is the best right now and we just watch the swelling and stuff. I sure hope your speaker is not from the area that had the earthquake, but it seemed to have happened around the larger city if I understood it correctly.

Well gals, I need to get myself some breakfast and get to work. Have a great day all! Faye
Old 02-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's a few degrees warmer this morning. I thought I might be getting the flu last evening; my stomach didn't feel quite right so ate crackers and 7Up for supper. I was freezing all evening so wore my robe and socks to bed which is really rare for me. I slept all night and feel fine this morning. Weird though, and I know the flu is going around. I'm going to sort through my shoes today; it's time to get rid of the too short, squishes toes, and don't like from when I had toe surgery several years ago. Sometimes I'll buy shoes on a whim and then wonder why. Dumb!

"Gma" -- I'm glad you are feeling better today. Many years ago when our very first cat was diagnosed with kidney crystals, the vet recommended a different brand of food. The cat had been on the same brand from the day we got her and wasn't too enthused about switching but she finally did. I think kidney failure is the main health problem for cats. The vet always says that our animals have had a good life with lots of TLC and love. You just have to do what is best for them I have no clue how you make an animal drink more water. As long as Fortune is drinking, he probably is getting as much as he needs. I think the WW items are way too expensive, but then everything else has gone up too.

I'm really lazy this morning. Bob won't be home for lunch as he is going with his farmer friend to pick up the semi trailer in another town. The farmer doesn't have his license yet so Bob gets to drive.

Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday Aka: Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a sunny 43 degree day here in the Heartland. All is well and quiet in this little berg. I have been looking at my jerky recipes and deciding which one I want to use first. I need to make a decision and buy the meat which I will prepare which needs to marinate for 24 hours in the fridge before drying. So we will have some home made jerky next week. In the meantime I am preparing some apples to dry tomorrow. We checked at the plant place and they will have some berry bushes in soon. We want another blackberry plant. We planted two and one didn't survive. They will give us a new one for we took the one that didn't survive back per their policy. It is nice for they are spendy. Their policy is any plant you buy which doesn't survive ~ take it back. That is why we like to buy certain plants there. Our weeping willow tree that we planted has grown by leaps and bounds. The dwarf apple looks good also. The old apple tree is just that ~ old and on it's last leg. Mostly the birds are being fed by it. We got some netting to protect the tree and will see if we get any good apples this year. It will make terrific smoking wood. Apple wood is great to use with pork and chicken. We give our trees and bushes plant food spikes and hope for the best. I am ready for Spring.

DONNA FAYE So glad you are feeling better. Just do what you can with your little guy and he will get the best care possible. If he is drinking water perhaps he is getting enough. I can't think of a thing you could put in his water to tempt him to drink more. That is good that you checked the flooring so you won't have any surprises when you do tile it. Hopefully you won't have any more flooding.

JEAN Nice that Bob can do the driving for his farmer friend. I am so glad for you that your little bout last night went away during the night. Good idea to get rid of the shoes you don't wear. I remember when I had to get rid of a bunch of neat shoes when I could no longer wear them with this brace. I had lots of shoes. Now I have only about 7 pair but wear the black SAS ones I have on most of the time because they work best for me. Mostly wear my other ones on Sunday or other special times for they are dressier. I am always on a lookout for shoes that will work for me.

GAIL & SUSAN Hope you are having a lovely day this humpday.

All y'all be safe. Type at y'all later.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Recipe

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Just thought I would share a recipe with you. Will really likes it and it tastes just like a spread a place here that serves great sandwiches. Good on beef or chicken or pork. I made up the mix and call it:

SANDWICH SAUCE
YIELD: 1 Cup
8 Servings ~ 1T = 1 P+
Mix all in a jar
Refrigerate 1 hour

1 cup ketchup
4 tsp dry mustard (hot if you like)
1½ tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

Prot. 1; Carb. 10.2; Fat 0.7; Fib 0.6

Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

gma...just passing thru and had to give your our answer. We put ice cubes in our dog's water and he drinks twice as much. Hope it helps....karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote