General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #1  
Really Doing

Height: 5'7

Default Eggs and Splenda?

NOT TOGETHER! =) I have questions about each one respectively. I am watching my calories, sugars, and portions. I also try to only eat good carbs (whole wheat, etc) and am trying to stay under the 1500 calorie range. I was wondering about eggs as a diet food. Like tonight, I had three eggs and snow peas (mangetouts for those in the UK) lightly salted. I am just wondering if this is a healthier meal because it feels like it is and I have an acquaintance who eats tons of eggs and she is a model/personal fitness guru who is ripped. I really like eggs and am wondering if they are pretty good food on a diet?

Also, the same for Splenda. I can't really give it up and it has caused me to not eat so much sugary foods. Anyway, thanks guys! =)
reallytrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #2  
Sassy, Classy, & Badassey

S/C/G: 239/221.8/135-ish?

Height: 5'5

I love, love, love eggs. That being said, eggs are good for you (in moderation). I eat eggs 3-4x a week, but that's because I only eat one whole egg each time.

I make this omelet that has one whole egg and then four additional egg whites. The egg white contains roughly 65% of the protein of the whole egg but only has roughly 15 calories per white versus the 70 calories in a whole egg. And the omelet tastes virtually the same as if it was made with five whole eggs! I love it. It's so filling. I usually eat it with sweet potato hashbrowns and reduced sugar ketchup. I have that exact meal seriously like 3-4x a week. And depending on how big the sweet potato is, it's rarely over 300 calories! (For one egg, 4 egg whites, .5 oz of fat free cheddar cheese, a 4-5oz sweet potato and 1/4 cup of reduced-sugar ketchup (which by the way only has 5 calories per tablespoon!)). SOOO DELICIOUS!
badassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #3  
Sassy, Classy, & Badassey

S/C/G: 239/221.8/135-ish?

Height: 5'5

Oh and I totally forgot about the Splenda question!

I, too eat Splenda. I put it in my oatmeal and use it in my coffee, as well.

People are always split with artificial sweeteners. That being said, if they are helping you from binging on a donut or a cookie - by all means, use them! In that instance, I personally think they are super beneficial when dieting.

Last edited by badassey; 02-17-2011 at 03:53 PM.
badassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I don't eat artificial sweetners, but it's because I think it affects me (I have PCOS) and I have found that I can live without them. I eat foods with real sugar, I avoid the HFCS stuff. I mean, if I am going to eat sugar, I might as well eat the real stuff! But, that said, I've also been able to limit the amounts that I can eat and it doesn't trigger me to binge.

I eat eggs maybe 3 or 4 times per week. I eat the whole egg. I find the protein in them keeps me full for the whole morning.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I LOVE eggs- I eat at least 3 eggs a week, at my house we have to buy a dozen eggs a week at LEAST to keep up with the egg demands

Eggs are definitely healthy- don't ignore the yolks- they have lots of nutrients and yes while it has cholesterol there was a time I was eating at least 7 eggs a week and when I had my cholesterol rechecked it had gone down from 230 to 187 SOOOO I can say that for me it didn't hurt. I think last time I checked my cholesterol was 155
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #6  
Really Doing

Height: 5'7

That's great because I love them. I would prefer egg whites but I don't know how to strain them properly though the yolk is yummy too. h4, that recipe sounds delicious. I am going to have to try that sometime soon. I'll have to look for reduced sugar ketchup. I didn't know there was such a thing and I'm not for sure if there is in the UK. Thanks for answering this question, guys.

Also for Splenda, yes it causes me not to crave really sugary foods or binge. I have a downfall for chocolate, bread, cheese and milk. -sighs- If only those were as good for you as celery, apples, and water.
reallytrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

It's VERY easy to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAGX-...eature=related

beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/230/155

Height: 5'5"

you can actually get egg beaters JUST WHITES at the market. It's much easier & inexpensive. egg yokes are what make eggs "unhealthy" but they're also SOOO delicious so I understand wanting them whole. But honestly, egg whites are the way to go! Or if you can't go all whites, mix in one yoke to the 3 egg whites.

As far as sugars go, I am a fan of Agave nectar which you can also get at most markets or even bargain shops (around here we have ocean state job lots or marshalls, or homegoods, places like that) will sell it. It's an all natural sweetener and isn't as bad as artificial sweeteners with aspartame in them (which makes you hungry & is a chemical that is harmful when your trying to be healthy). It's concentrated so you don't need much either.

Most markets also sell "reduced sodium/sugar" ketchup and even Heins makes one! There are organic kinds as well but they often taste weird to me so I go with the brand i know.
k8zilla is offline   Reply With Quote