Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #1  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Favorite (filling) meal replacement bars?

Okay, I know they're bad for long-term maintenance, but sometimes I just need something on the road that will fill me up for 4 hours and let me keep studying without hunger and while staying on-plan.

Any suggestions for meal replacement bars that clock in at around 200 calories and keep you full? Anything with whole grains and good fats and some protein would be perfect.

I'll start: the chocolate ones make me feel a little goofy/ill last time I tried them, but I do love the Toasted Nuts 'N Cranberry Luna Bar.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

I really like the Chocolite bars I just ordered (chocolate turtle) but they only have 115 cals... I guess you could have two!

I also think the special K protein bars are yummy but I'm sure their ingredients arent the best.
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

kashi had some limited pumpkin seed granola bars. i liked those. couldn't tell at all there was pumpkin seeds, imop. but it doesn't really exist, nothing that is meant to replace a meal- like a shake would work for me. i need the volume, i need to chew it. i'd probably be more satisfied by eating a whole bag of carrots than eating a bar that has the same amount of calories lol. but good luck, sounds like you won't have space to pack a fridge full of produce.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

I love Think Thin bars and I buy them at Kroger. They are filling and no sugar.

I also like Power Crunch. It was on a list of best bars for after workouts. It isn't as filling as Think Thin- but it is yummier.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #5  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Larabars, hands down! They aren't pumped full of artificial things and chemicals (the only things in them are dates, nuts, dried fruit and spices or other add ins like coconut or peanut butter). They're 200-220 calories each and they seriously will fill you up. DH and I took them when we were travelling and we would split one bar a lot of the time just to tide us over between meals. They're also easy to replicate at home if you have the inclination.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #6  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Ooh, I may have to grab a few Larabars at TJs next time -- I've seen them and always wondered how filling they were. The calorie counts seemed forbiddingly high for such small objects! I think KIND bars are the same way -- they look scary but are dense in all the good things that keep you full. But all those bars are so EXPENSIVE -- I was not expecting that.

Both Think Thin and Chocolite look AMAZING. My only problem with them and with all the ones you have to buy online is that shipping is prohibitive if I just want a few (I would rather sample a lot of flavors and I don't see myself eating more than 5 of these a week).
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #7  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisy View Post
Ooh, I may have to grab a few Larabars at TJs next time -- I've seen them and always wondered how filling they were. The calorie counts seemed forbiddingly high for such small objects! I think KIND bars are the same way -- they look scary but are dense in all the good things that keep you full. But all those bars are so EXPENSIVE -- I was not expecting that.

Both Think Thin and Chocolite look AMAZING. My only problem with them and with all the ones you have to buy online is that shipping is prohibitive if I just want a few (I would rather sample a lot of flavors and I don't see myself eating more than 5 of these a week).
Since Larabars are so simple, they're easy to make on your own if you have a food processor.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #8  

The chocolite bars are really good - I like the triple chocolate ones....and the bites and chocolate-covered almonds are pretty good, as well!
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

lackadaisy... I was worried about buying a pack of the Chololite bars as well, but after reading all the good reviews I took a shot. And I wasnt disappointed! They are yummy.
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote