Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #1  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Default Gulp - what now then ?

Hello
Since April 2010 I have lost 115 lbs. I am delighted with that, and feel great. However I have set a goal of 153 lbs and still have 30 to go. Theoretically I should be well on my way this month, but i have lost 1 measly pound this month, having lost an average of 10 each month til now. I realise I must be plateau-ing, and have read the advice about calorie cycling, but am terrified that I will lose focus and it will all get out of hand.
What do I do? I really want to lose the last 30lbs, but I just don't seem to have been successful this month. I'm confused and really disheartened that I have reached this point, and bam, no more weight lost.
I have been low carbing, drinking loads of water, and doing the best I can to be active.
Any advice would be really great right now, as I am very down. Incidentally I have been extremely stressed this month due to a work related problem.
Thanks lovely chickies just for listening
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #2  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

If I understand it, the idea behind calorie cycling is not just about the number of calories, but more about changing things and triggering your system into starting to lose again. If the idea of calorie cycling seems too daunting, you could maybe change something else. You're already counting your carbs. Maybe you could carb cycle?
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

I agree with FitGirlyGirl and cycle the carbs also change your exercise routime and pump it up...maybe swimming!
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I am the queen of stalls. What works for stall number one rarely works for stall number two, in my case. LOL!

Calorie cycling is great, but I completely understand about losing control with it. It actually is very difficult to pull yourself back in. It's strangely easier to just keep on keepin' on. I like calorie cycling myself, but sometimes my higher days end up being 2-3 higher days in a row instead of just the one. It's hard to get back into the lower days. I have the most success when my lower calorie days coincide with work days because I can only eat what I take to work. But if there are donuts or other treats in the staff room and I've just come off a higher calorie day...that's hard!

Other tricks I've used...
  • I have alternated between eating a pre-workout snack and exercising on empty.
  • Switch to lower carbs
  • I generally eat six mini meals, so maybe eliminate meal number six for a while.
  • Add cardio time and or intensity.
  • Change the lifting routine.
  • I workout in the morning and adding an evening walk has done the trick before.
  • If any of your meals are routine, like always having oats for breakfast, switch to eggs or add some veggies. Adding veggies to my diet often seems to help.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #5  
I Will do this....

Eliana - thanks for the advice. I'm actually just really confused as to whats going on I already eat very low carb so not sure how I could cycle those, I'm terrified of putting the weight back on (I lost it once before and then put the whole lot back on because I couldn't get the last 40lbs off !)
I had eggs for breakfast, and I do usually eat oats - I thought that might help.
Fitgirly and Thelast20 - thanks for the advice
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Starbright.

I just wanted to tell you a little about my experience after I had lost a great deal of weight and got around your current weight. Things slowed WAYYYY down. It didn't stop, it didn't stall, but it crept along slowly for the rest of the way. The first 140 (I started out about 35 pounds more than you), came off at a rate of about an average of 15 pounds a month, (Some really high months at first, and then leveling off to 10 pounds a month.)

Then a few months I lost 7 pounds a month...then for a few months I lost 2 pounds a month...then it went up to 5 then back down to 1. All this time I was faithful and diligent. I just kept reminding myself during this time that this is a life long thing I had going. I would never really be done, and thinking in the lines of being "Done" is what helped me gain back countless pounds in the past.

Anyway, I know it's frustrating, and you are ready for it to all be gone now, but you have been working so hard, and doing so awesome... You gotta just keep chugging. It will come off. I have no doubt in you!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

What's going on is likely that your body is becoming efficient with what you are doing. This is why just changing it up might help.

It's frustrating to go from averaging 10 pounds to getting just 1! But look at it this way...you've been lucky! LOL! It's pretty much time to slow up now.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #8  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

When I was on LA weight loss they had different strategies for plateaus, but one I remember working for people was to replace one meal a day (probably breakfast) with a high protein drink (the chocolate milkshake type).

Another was to eat a 1/2 orange or grapefruit 4 times a day, other than that you would eat only 6-8 oz of lean protein plus green veggies; doing this for 2 days was tough, but it normally helped to get things moving again.

Just some ideas, as Eliana said, what works for one might not work for another. You've done so well this far, try not to let this get to you too much; it's been a hard month, and that in itself might explain things. Keep doing what you do and the scale will have no choice but to move eventually.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

are you doing weight training now? maybe start or change that routine.

take measurements each week so that even if you aren't losing weight, you can at least see that you aren't gaining and maybe your body is building muscle and toning.

Breathe. Just say to your body "It's ok, we can go slow here. I'm not going to give up."

Maybe up your calories slightly? Or up your carbs?

Take up a new activity that gets your mind off weight loss but focuses on seeing what your body is capable of: hiking and backpacking, rock climbing, salsa dancing, martial arts, yoga.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #10  
I Will do this....

Thanks everyone!
Loribell - I understand and appreciate what you are saying. I know it's true that I have to just keep plodding at this, but this month has been so frustrating that I'm at the end of my tether !!!
Eliana I just wanted to say I saw your photos the other day - you look incredible, and your last 30 lbs made the most incredible difference to your figure!
Angie- you are such a sweetie !
Seagirl- I think exercise is the key - I need to get moving more
Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Some different ideas (not all at once).

1. Add in some extra exercises.
2. Cycle your carbs. Have extra carbs and less fat on one day, then have minimum carbs and more fat and protein on the next 2. For a week or so.
3. Cycle your calories: Have really low-cal days for 2-3 and then increase it.
4. Keep the cals the same and eat all totally different food.

Last edited by stacygee; 02-20-2011 at 10:55 AM.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I know exactly how you feel!!! the last 26 pounds of mine came off -- in NINE MONTHS lol It was not fast at all, I got frustrated, but I also knew when it came right down it, I was not willing to eat (for the rest of my life) less than what i was consuming, I just couldn't do it long term. I know a lot of people WOULD sacrifice that for being ultra thin, but I was thrilled with what I'd accomplished and knew something else was the answer -- for me, it was really switching up the exercise. I did a dance class! ha, a former 300 pounder in a dance class LOL but i loved it and it kicked the crap outta me! I also don't do gyms, so I found other ways to be helpful -- i volunteered to mow the grass for my older neighbours, was out shovelling their snow too, raked their leaves, helped with a city garden, all sorts of stuff that involved heavy lifting and moving, and it finally did the trick! Of course, it makes you feel so good to help people out (ok, i admit it, they pat me on the head and say i'm a nice GIRL...a nice 42 y.o. GIRL hehehhe) that I keep doing it!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #13  
I Will do this....

Just popping in for an update. Not sure what I did right, but after the thread things began to move and am now at 177.5, a loss of 8 lbs so far this month I know I have to keep believing in my pan. It has worked thus far and I have to just keep going! Hubby has bought me an elliptical trainer so hopefully that will help get me moving more, and help boost for the last 24lbs. Thanks again to you all for listening and for your good advice