Default Green Bean recipes

Green Beans and Bacon

7 slices bacon
2 9-ounce packages frozen whole green beans, thawed
6 medium carrots, cut into 3- to 4-inch-long strips
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon in a large skillet, uncovered, over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or till just crisp, turning occasionally. Remove bacon, reserving drippings; drain bacon on paper towels.

Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings from the skillet. Add green beans, carrots, margarine or butter, and garlic. Stir-fry over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or till vegetables are crisp-tender.

Crumble bacon. Stir pepper into vegetable mixture. Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with crumbled bacon. Makes 8 servings.

Nutrition facts per serving: 127 calories, 9 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Daily Values: 134% vitamin A, 14% vitamin C, 3% calcium, 6% iron.
Scuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 02:55 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans Ole - 1 Point

Recipe By : Betty Crocker's The Big Red Cookbook Page 506
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound green beans -- cut in 1" pieces
4 slices bacon -- cut up
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped tomato
1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice -- or lime juice

1. Place beans in 1-inch water in 2-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Immediately rise with cold water; drain.

2. Cook bacon in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occassionally, until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, reserivng 1 tablespoon fat in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels.

3. Cook onion in bacon fat over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until tender. Stir in tomato, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Stir in green beans; heat through. Drizzle with lemon or lime juice. Garnish with bacon.

Per serving: 70 calories; 3 gms fat; 5 mgs cholesterol; 410 mgs sodium; 11 gms carbohydrates; 4 gms dietary fiber; 4 gms protien. Diet Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Per Mastercook database the following nutritional information is provided:

Calories: 90.0
Fat grams: 3.4
Fiber grams: 4.7
Carbohydrate grams: 12.5

W/W Points: 1
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 02:29 PM   #3  

Angry

This is a good, fast and easy (I'm sooo lazy!) recipie that I make when I am tired of the same old veggies.
1 can stewed tomatoes ( I love Contidina brand)
1 can green beans, drained
2 teaspoon dill weed
Well, that's it. Mix up and heat in the microwave. Spray with butter spray, then serve. Not only is it pretty, it tastes wonderful! (did ya notice, it's "0" points?!)
sturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:35 AM   #4  

Default Oriental Green Beans

Oriental Green Beans
makes 6 servings, 1 point per serving

1.5 pounds green beans, trimmed
3 T soy sauce
1 T oriental sesame oil
1 t granulated sugar
6 garlic cloves, minced

1. In a large pot of rapidly boiling water, cook whole green beans until just tender, 4-5 min.
2. While beans are cooking, in small bowl combine soy sauce, oil, and sugar; set aside
3. Drain beans; set aside
4. Spray wok or 10" skillet with nonstick spray; place over med-high heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until softened, 20-30 seconds. Add green beans; cook, stirring and turning constantly until well-coated, about 2 minutes.
5. Add soy sauce mixture, continue to stir and turn until most of the liquid is absorbed, 1-2 min.
Photo shows garnished with lemon and fresh basil.
JanetMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:41 PM   #5  

Smile

Hi! I just wanted to say that I tried this recipe tonight, and it was to DIE for!!! wow!!!!!! Thanks for posting it!
Beth
a new WWer as of Monday.
JaggyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 04:23 PM   #6  

Default great idea!

Janetmae:
I was just thinking about how I miss marinated green beans - well, actually it's the 1/2 cup olive oil that I miss. I have so many beans to pick in my garden right now - this sounds perfect.

thanx drea
fruitface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Thanks Sturg:

I was trying to find something easy & different so I tried your recipe last night & everyone loved it. So fast & 0 Points.

Thanks, again.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:37 PM   #8  
kmk

I found this recipe in my old WW recipe cards and decided to make it 2 nights ago. It was a hit with the whole family. I added red peppers and onions(I can never leave a recipe alone). There was some leftover liquid so I saved it and steamed broccoli in it. This one makes veggies so much easier to work into my diet.
kmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #9  

Default Wonderful green beans

I don't know if any of you have thought about this, my future mom-in-law is the 1 that made me try it.

To a can of green beans, add some thinly fresh diced onion & 1 can of stewed tomatoes. It is wonderful.
wand1164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:50 AM   #10  

I think that sounds so good. I love green beans, and I'll eat stewed tomatoes on just about anything!

Dawn
Dawn Krantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Mmmm. My grandmother used to make a green bean dish with sauted bacon and diced onion with tomato sauce and two teaspoons of sugar, and serve it over mashed potates, usually with meatloaf or roast beef. It was amazing. I lived on it in graduate school and other tight budget times as a meal over baked potatoes. I've cut the bacon down to one slice, and dice it in ridiculosly tiny pieces so the flavor gets through the whole dish, and I use one teaspoon of splenda. I think now I'll use stewed or flavored diced tomatoes instead of the tomato sauce.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #12  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Default Yummy

I made this last week! I used canned diced tomatoes, green beans, and chopped onion, to which I added cajun seasoning (I like spicy). It is really good, filling, and quick, too!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203.9/196.9/150

Height: 5'5"

Marinated Green Beans
Ingredients

3-1/2 cups (3/4 pound) fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped
2 tablespoons chopped chives or thinly sliced green onion tops
2 tablespoons fat-free, low-sodium or regular chicken broth or bouillon
1 tablespoon catsup
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste (optional)
2-3 drops hot pepper sauce

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, cook the beans in boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes until tender-crisp. Drain well in a colander.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the chives, broth, catsup, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt (if desired), and hot pepper sauce. Stir to mix well. Add the cooked beans, and stir to coat the beans with marinade.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Stir before serving. Leftover beans will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.

Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Calories: 30
Protein: 1 g
Sodium: 47 mg
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 1 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable
dbertram1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 203.9/196.9/150

Height: 5'5"

The above marinated green beans are amazing! I don't normally like green beans, but these are wonderful! Anyone have any other great marinated veggie recipes? I don't like my veggies cooked very well, only blanched for a few minutes, and still very crunchy?
dbertram1117 is offline   Reply With Quote