Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #1  
fat to fab

S/C/G: 326/294/150

Height: 5'8

Default Hmm, just asking..

Has anyone had problems with aunt flow not coming around while being over weight? Also has anyone gotten pregnant after losing a big amount of weight?
I would love to start a family when I'm healthy lord willing, but I only get af 2-4 times a year since i gained so much weight.
sierra51390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #2  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

I use to be VERY irregular. I would get "aunt flow" every month but it was so random. The pill helped me
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #3  
fat to fab

I've tried the pill too, but it seemed like no matter how long i took it, when my doctor took me off it af went away again! When I was actually healthy it was some what regular.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #4  
Danielle

i guess I cant really compare since ive never been "healthy" lol. Was ALWAYS chubby, but im working on it now lol
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 264.4/See ticker/146

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I know just what you mean. Irregular cycles for the majority of my life! The only exception was when I lost weight (diet and exercise 4X a week) and went from 247 down to 187. About midway through the loss, I started having a fairly regular 30-day cycle. When I gained weight again, it went away for months.

I don't know all of the hormone components involved, but I was diagnosed with PCOS and, later, diabetes. I found that when I had lower amounts of carbs (we're talking almost Atkins-low) OR started metformin, I would generally "trigger" TOM.

Now that I have lost almost twenty pounds since January through, once again, diet and exercise, it has come back! Hopefully that's a sign that my body is doing better. Hope you have similar results during your journey!
unbelievabletruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #6  
fat to fab

I was some what healthy until about 15 then i gained, and was at 260 then lost 80 lbs. Since I got married I have gained it all back plus much more! Currently 300, and let me tell you it's a struggle every day. Hopefully in the next several months I'll lose at least 20, but it will be a life long journey! MzJuicyD maybe we could be support friends I know I certainly need it!

As far as the af goes, I have heard quite a bit about losing weight and it coming back. Thanks unbelievabletruth for the positivity of losing weight! I wish you well during yours too!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 335/313.6

Height: 5'4

i am very overweight, have been for years, and aunt flo is about as normal as it could be..sometimes it might be a day or two difference, and every now and then, maybe like less than once a year it will come a week early or week late...but not too often...my problem is just the severity of it. now i know its supposed to be bad, bloating, cramps....but i just feel like its a little too much if it pretty much interrupts your life..
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Yes. I have PCOS though - but had irregular periods when I was significantly overweight, and managed to conceive on my own after losing about 10% of my body weight.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I was very irregular for a long time - and DH and I wanted to start a family, and as you know, you need to ovulate to get pregnant, and with irregular AF's, I wasn't ovulating! I lost 60 pounds and got down to 200, and my AF's became regular, and I used an ovulation induction drug to get pregnant with DS. After I got AF back after having him, it's been regular - DD was one try with no drugs. Anyways being overweight can definitely affect things. Good luck!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I do know that women stop getting their periods if they are too thin OR too heavy. Have you been looked over by your doctor? If there is nothing else medical going on, weight loss is probably key.

I have always been regular... Hubby and I tried and tried nad TRIED for three months from Aug. 07 to Oct 07. Then we both found ourselves with new jobs and decided to take a pause for a bit...

but it was when I REALLY started eating right and exercising that... Oops, I found myself PG in May of 08. ONE TIME I said to hubby "we don't need contraception".

"They" say even just a 10% loss can have huge improvements on your health. (which is what I lost before getting knocked up)
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #11  
fat to fab

I have tried to talk to my doctor about exploring other things like pcos, but for some reason every dh I go to just seems to have the same explanation. They basically say I'm fat and that's it lol, lose weight and it will come back.
I'm sure though, well not certain but if I continue to eat healthy and work out like I have been that it will come back. Thanks ladies for all the info, it gives me hope that af will come back and one day get knocked up lol, by my husband that is.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #12  
Danielle

I would LOVE to be your support buddy! I've been trying to find one!

Last edited by MzJuicyD; 02-16-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Ask for a referall to an endocrinologist- most primaries are not very educated about PCOS in my experience.

Here is a great link about PCOS:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/poly...y-syndrome.cfm

If you feel you fit into this ask for a referall, but if you do have PCOS you'll have to change your eating pretty dramatically- carbs aren't our friends you'll have to change to a south beach type lifestyle. Lean protein, TONS of veggies, and only whole grain carbs and a limited amount of them, also not too much fruit either. I used to eat low fat and high carb and ballooned up to 235 until a doctor finally suggested to me a few years ago I might have PCOS- after getting my thyroid testes and having my ovaries checked, and so on, it was determined I had PCOS. The weight has come off slowly BUT it's still come off and as I've lost weight I've had most of the symptoms go away. I no longer have dandruff, I get a period more often, my skin is clearer, my sleep apnea is less severe, etc.

What your doctors don't realize is that obesity doesn't cause PCOS, PCOS causes obesity.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #14  

Sierra,
I was lucky to get one every three to four months for years. However, I also have PCOS and that is most likely the reason for mine not being regular. I was put on Metformin and we had two beautiful daughters. One in 2005 and one in 2006. I have since lost 50lbs and my AF comes every month pretty much like clockwork now.

You may want to be checked out by a reproductive endocrinologist to see what is going on with your hormones so you can work on those now, so you will not have problems when you are ready to conceive. We tried for 10 years to conceive before we finally saw a reproductive endocrinologist. I wish I had gone to see one much earlier.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #15  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

When I was overweight I had maybe 1-2 periods a year. I think this went on for about 4-5 years. I lost 70 lbs and got pregnant within 6 months. I can't remember when my periods started getting more frequent. But now they come every month every 29-32 days like clockwork.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote