Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Default For those of you who measure yourselves....

How do you keep track of WHERE you measure?

What I mean is, how do you remember exactly where on the arm, or where on the thigh you have measured?

I was feeling VERY discouraged, with a scale that gained 4lbs in 2 days, and hasn't let it go, I hoped to find some reassurance in measurements.

Waist and calves were down a little (waist was easy, calves were measured at the largest part today, so measurements can't be wrong), but some of the other stuff is up by a couple of inches, which I am sure didn't happen.

So after measuring today, I wrote notes, the best I could on exactly where I measured, so there is less confusion next time, but am wondering how do you all keep track of exactly where you have measured in the past?
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Well, I always get the same person to help measure me (my mom) and we simply try for the thickest part of the boobs, arms, thighs etc.

Then the natural curve of the waist.

For whatever reason I always forget if I do my bust measurement with my bra on or not, and have to look it up! I do it with it off, but it always throws me.

It's kind of one of those things that you get more comfortable with with some repetition.

Also remember that how your clothes are fitting is a great indicator too. I'm with you in that I haven't seen any great achievements lately, but I was standing at work the other day and noticed that my pants were hanging differently around my, um . . crotch area Instead of tight and bunched, they were hanging loose and like pants are supposed to hang.

It's the little things that add up over time.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

I am lucky? to be freckly, so I've been trying to use specific freckles as more of a landmark for my bicep / thigh measurements to help me remember exactly where to go. Otherwise, I just try to estimate across fullest part of hips / bust and narrowest part of waist. I figure the fullest part might move around a little anyway as the weight gets redistributed, but at least the freckles lets me try to maintain consistency from week to week. Except when I get confused about which freckle it was... then it gets trickier.
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/155/130??

Height: 5'6"

I just try to find the smallest and biggest place to measure, depending on what I'm measuring. Like smallest for waist and naval, largest for thighs, calves, etc.

I realize that's probably not the most accurate method, (because you could be losing inches below or above that area and not even realize it!), but it has worked pretty well for me.
Kattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

I sew for myself, so I have a lot of practice making sure the I get the right measurements for myself, and I use this when taking measurements for weight loss.

For starters, it's always easiest if you are looking at yourself in the mirror while measuring.

Circumference measurement- Guideline
Breast- nipples
Chest- right under boobs
Waist- narrowest part of torso under the last ribcage (on some/most people, at elbow level)
Belly button- mmm.. belly button (I measure these differently, because on me it is about 3 inches below my waist. It is usually below the waist)
Hip- hip bone (this is a few inches below your belly button; you might have to feel for your hip bone)
Widest part of lower body- crotch (Believe it or not, this is usually the widest part of the body, it will include saddlebags, hips, butt and maybe lower belly)

For legs, I always use the tape measure and measure down from the crotch, then measure around at various points such as upper thigh, mid-thigh, upper knee, calf. When measuring down from the crotch, always go straight down- do not follow the lines of the body or as you shrink, the measurement will change.
The points down will obviously be different for everyone, because of length of limbs. Just as long as you're consistent with yourself.

For arms, I use the same concept of the legs but with a different guideline.

I usually use the mid elbow (crease) as a guide for both the mid-arm and the forearm.

Another suggestion that might help, if you have a dedicated mirror, you can use a dry erase marker or tape and mark the lines for the most difficult areas, such as mid thigh and use waist and crotch lines as guidelines. I wouldn't use the shoulder or head as a guideline because your posture might get better and through things off. Also, make sure you are standing the same distance away from the mirror each time.

Hopefully this helps
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #6  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I measure the biggest part, or I have landmarks. Like my chest, I wear a sports bra and measure around my nipples. And my waist, I measure around my belly button. My thighs, around the biggest part. Hips, same. Things like that.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Hmm.. I admit I have only measured the spots that really affect my clothing size: bust, waist, and hips. Those spots are certainly easy to find. If I were to start measuring elsewhere, I would go by a simple policy of always measuring the widest part.. widest part of upper arms, widest part of thighs, widest part of calves, etc.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

I've had my inches fluctuate a bit especially my arms and waist through out my journey so I wouldn't worry if you are seeing things go up and others go down a little especially if you are weight training. As a rule of thumb i measure the largest part of everything but the waist.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #9  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I guess I'm different from most people. I measure measure halfway between elbow and armpit, halfway between ankle and knee, etc. no matter which spot is biggest or littlest. I figure that the size thing might shift, but the length of my arms and legs won't change at this point in my life. I use nipples as a guide for measuring breasts, I measure at my belly button, and I measure over my hipbones. I also measure my neck - halfway between collarbone and jaw. I don't measure my "waist" at all (though it did get measured recently by the new personal trainer - I don't even remember what the number was). I don't need that measurement. Calling that spot the "waist" has always seemed like a vanity thing to me anyhow. It is the narrowest portion of my torso, but it is not in any way my waist - my pants don't go there, my hands don't go there, my SO's arms don't go there. Meh
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
I don't need that measurement. Calling that spot the "waist" has always seemed like a vanity thing to me anyhow. It is the narrowest portion of my torso, but it is not in any way my waist - my pants don't go there, my hands don't go there, my SO's arms don't go there. Meh
How is it vanity? My pants go there, my hands go there, my SO's arms go there as I have an hour glass figure, even while fat. Wearing low rise jeans is a NIGHTMARE for my overweight body. And since that's one spot that isn't affected much by bones, it's all fat or muscle and your organs. It's where I am seeing the most dramatic losses as my muscles are toning up too.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
I don't measure my "waist" at all (though it did get measured recently by the new personal trainer - I don't even remember what the number was). I don't need that measurement. Calling that spot the "waist" has always seemed like a vanity thing to me anyhow. It is the narrowest portion of my torso, but it is not in any way my waist - my pants don't go there, my hands don't go there, my SO's arms don't go there. Meh
you should measure it because hip-to-waist ratio is one of the biggest indicators of your risk of developing health problems no matter your weight.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid77 View Post
Well, I always get the same person to help measure me (my mom) and we simply try for the thickest part of the boobs, arms, thighs etc.

Then the natural curve of the waist.

For whatever reason I always forget if I do my bust measurement with my bra on or not, and have to look it up! I do it with it off, but it always throws me.

It's kind of one of those things that you get more comfortable with with some repetition.

Also remember that how your clothes are fitting is a great indicator too. I'm with you in that I haven't seen any great achievements lately, but I was standing at work the other day and noticed that my pants were hanging differently around my, um . . crotch area Instead of tight and bunched, they were hanging loose and like pants are supposed to hang.

It's the little things that add up over time.
I do the same thing. And yes, I've been going through the same thing these last couple days....gained 2 lbs when I've been doing good with my weight. I know its (possibly TMI) constipation cause I haven't been regular for a week now. Though my pants have been very loose to where I NEED a belt now. It's just the numbers on the scale that irritate me to no end.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

When I first started measuring myself I had difficulty trying to keep track of the same place as well. What I've started to do is measuring my arms/thighs/butt in a couple places and use the biggest measurement. I figure the biggest measurement should be around the same place this week as it was last week. For my 'natural' waist I do the opposite and use the smallest measurement!
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I can't imagine not knowing my natural waist measurement.. The elastic/waistbands of all my skirts sit there, the fitted part of all my dresses sit there, it's the most essential measurement for corset sizing and a pretty important one for any sort of form-fitting top..
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #15  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Maybe my body is just odd, but my "natural" waist is about 4 inches above my belly button and there's no way in heck I'd ever wear the waist of any garment that high.

niafabo - According to my doc the measure for waist/hip ratio should be taken at about the belly button, so that's what I do.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote