General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #1  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default How many calories should I eat?

I know there is a thread for this but I did a search and can't find it. Is there an accurate, reliable website that will take your gender, age, weight and recommend a daily caloric intake? Right now I am at 1500 and lose one lb a week, but it seems if I break plan and eat more and still exercise I lose more but it usually when i am not dieting and eating bad food. I am afraid of going over 1500 calories because I don't want to gain weight.

Last edited by WillsAngel; 02-10-2011 at 05:58 PM.
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #2  
~~transforming Diva~

I just found one on the jillian michael's site. according to the calculations I should be eating 400 more calories then I should be. I will give it a try and see what happens.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I go by this formula my trainer gave me:

Weight x 10 calories per pound and .75(75% calories) = calories to eat.

so 245 x 10 x.75 = 1838 calories.

Then for every 10 lbs re-evaluate your calories.

This obviously isn't for someone who is like 120 lbs or something but for someone who has a decent amount of weight to lose.

You've already lost 50 lbs so you are obviously doing great!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #4  

That's pretty much what it says in the Biggest Loser Book too.

It says that people should eat 7 - 10 calories for every pound.
Re-evaluate as you lose weight. For example, if you lose 10 pounds then you need 100 less calories.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole calorie thing. I lost a bunch of weight with LA Weight Loss (I didn't use their foods, just regular foods) and lost my book (boo hoo!) But I need to educate more on calories anyway so looking them up will be a good thing.
MissMooLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #5  
~~transforming Diva~

Thanks guys, I am at about 1700 calories so hopefully I wont gain and I will lose a bit more. I guess I am just paranoid about gaining but notice that if i don't eat enough I hang onto the weight.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #6  
|| Casey ||

S/C/G: 297/ticker/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I recently used this BMR forumla, and it seems pretty spot-on from everything I've read elsewhere.

I really like that you can use the equation to make it so specific to your own body. However, it's showing me needing about 700 more calories (around 1945ish) than what I've been eating for my height/weight, and that's not counting the few extra for activity levels, so I will probably be experiementing with this in the near future.

Also, in case the link doesn't work out for someone, or if it eventually breaks, I will post an excerpt here:

Quote:
Step one is to calculate your BMR with the following formula:

Women:
655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Men:
66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Please note that this formula applies only to adults.

Calculate Activity
Step two: In order to incorporate activity into your daily caloric needs, do the following calculation:

•If you are sedentary : BMR x 20 percent

•If you are lightly active: BMR x 30 percent

•If you are moderately active (You exercise most days a week.): BMR x 40 percent

•If you are very active (You exercise intensely on a daily basis or for prolonged periods.): BMR x 50 percent

•If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training.): BMR x 60 percent

Add this number to your BMR.

The result of this formula will be the number of calories you can eat every day and maintain your current weight. In order to lose weight, you'll need to take in fewer calories than this result.

As you lose weight, you can re-calculate the formula to assess your new BMR.

*BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate.

Last edited by opheliaphoenix; 02-13-2011 at 04:31 PM.
opheliaphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote