South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Anyone know a good vanilla birthday "cake" recipe?

Im looking for a good vanilla cake type recipe..one that tastes like vanilla..i love those box cakes that you can make from the store..duncan hiens..you know what i mean.. Well , i want to make a birthday cake south beach style..for phase 1...but dont know how to go about it.. Any ideas? I didnt really like the chocolate bean-y brownies too much, they were really heavy on chocolate and tasted bitter to me..they had to be served with whip cream to eat it..so i was wondering if anyone knows of a sweeter vanilla cake recipe?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

any phase 1 friendly cake isn't going to be as light and fluffy as a boxed cake.

you could probably make the bean brownies with white beans and omit the chocolate, add in maybe some ground almonds or something instead of the chocolate and then add an extra bit of vanilla. i would replace the caramel syrup with sf vanilla syrup as well. it would be sort of a blondie instead of a brownie
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

don't know a good cake recipie but i know of a p1 friendly cheesecake

Ingredients:

* 12oz softened light cream cheese
* 6-8 Tbsp. Splenda or other sweetener (or to taste)
* 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
* 1 tsp. sugar-free vanilla extract
* 3 eggs

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 325F (160C). Grease an 8-inch springform cake pan and line the outside of the pan with foil. Prepare a larger baking dish by filling it with an inch of water.
2. With a hand mixer, to beat the cream cheese until it is almost liquified.
3. Mix the sour cream, Splenda and the vanilla extract into the cream cheese and stir until well-blended.
4. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs until frothy. Combine the eggs into the cream cheese mixture.
5. Pour the batter into the cake pan and, holding the foil tightly around the sides, gently place the cake tin into the baking dish filling with water.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the cheesecake comes out clean.
7. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours before serving.

found it on here a few weeks ago it was pretty good i have to say
fluffy1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Okay- here's the best I got. Now, for the disclaimers- I have only made these once in mini muffin form with cream cheese frosting and added cinammon (cinammon roll style) and they were scrumptious. However, I have only eaten them warm, only with frosting, and only in small sizes. Since the texture is not like normal cake, I have no idea how this would taste cold or in larger bites.

But, here goes:

one scoop (roughly in between 1/4 and 1/3 c) SB approved vanilla protein powder
1/4 c melted margarine (I use brommel and brown)
2 tbsp splenda or non sugar sweetener
1 egg

Adjust the sweetness to your liking. For a more authentic cakey flavor I would probably add vanilla extract and possibly butter extract. I baked this at 350 for roughly 8 minutes or so and it made 10 mini muffins.

This whole recipe amounts to roughly 370 calories, so be careful with portions and whatever frosting type substance you use.

I'm still tweaking this recipe to get the right cinammon roll recipe down pat, and I'm hoping to try chocolate protein powder to make mini chocolate muffins.

I just realized- I'm not sure that protein powder is P1 approved? Any input on that from someone wiser?

Good luck!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Depends on the protein powder.

AS far as I'm concerned, things like Birthday Cakes are to be avoided on Phase I. It really is only a two week period.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I agree w/ Ruth. I'd wait until you get out of Phase I and then start looking for something you can make. It'll make things a whole lot easier as far as concocting something that's more "cake-like" and actually tastes better than dirt scraped off the bottom of your shoe, LOL
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #7  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Um, i wish i could say ...move to phase 2 and avoid birthday cakes...however, i will probably never be able to have a real birthday cake again as i am a type 2 diabetic and also living gluten free and wheat free as i have a big sensetivity to both...so im trying to just find ways to live and get by right now..trying to find new ways of changing old to new if you know what i mean.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #8  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

In that case, check out a gluten-free cookbook and use whole grain flours and whatever sugar substitute you prefer.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

How about a variation on the bean brownie? You can use white beans and a ton of vanilla...but probably in phase 2 more then phase 1. Do beans have gluten?
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote