Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Smile "Waiting for Whoosh" Thread.

Hi, I am stalled on 127 lb for day # 13 now. The interesting fact is back in 2000 I staled on 127lb for 18 days as well and after I lost 3 lb in one week….whoosh! I am very annoyed that I am doing all I used to do in previous 4 weeks when I lost 8 lb and weight is still not moving, but I know my whoosh somewhere around the corner, so I am patiently waiting.

How long was your stall? Anything in particular you did or eat to trigger the whoosh?

My last stall, before this one, was 10 days and then I lost 3 lb overnight. I had low carb day before and 2 glasses of red wine as per my journal.

Here's some information about "whooshes" by Lyle McDonald
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html

And a brief excerpt:
“Many people have noted that fat loss is often discontinuous, that is it often happens in stops and starts. So you’ll be dieting and dieting and doing everything correctly with nothing to show for it. Then, boom, almost overnight, you drop 4 pounds and look leaner.

What’s going on? ... After fat cells had been emptied of stored triglyceride (fat), they would temporarily refill with water (glycerol attracts water, which might be part of the mechanism). So there would be no immediate change in size, body weight or appearance. Then, after some time frame, the water would get dropped, the fat cells would shrink. The fat was emptied and burned off days or weeks ago but until the water is dropped, nothing appears to have happened.”

Last edited by onthedietagain; 02-09-2011 at 11:08 AM.
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I typically have a stall every two weeks because of how my body's ovulation cycle works. I stalled at 251.something for 10 days. Then in less than two weeks I dropped six pounds.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

That is really interesting information- thank you for sharing it
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I love the whoosh... and hate the stall. My trainer had me have a "cheat" meal last time I stalled. I had a hamburger with cheese and 6 beers. I was up the next day and within three days whooshed down 3 pounds. It surprises your body when you are on a low cal diet and gets it to work harder again.

I am up right now b/c I was off my program accidently yesterday... but perhaps waiting for the whoosh will motivate me to stay on program!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #5  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

That information is false. Fat cells do not function that way, they do not temporarily "fill" with water. Water only makes up about 10% of fat, however it DOES make up about 70% of our muscles. If I'm holding onto weight, it almost always has to do with muscle growth and repair or menstrual cycle. Regardless, there are many reasons a body will hold onto weight, and many reasons for it to drop it. It is always in the process of burning and storing calories in unison, repairing organs, digesting food... Any number of reasons could account for the "whoosh" and for retaining weight.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

I only lose weight by 'whooshes'. I can't even fathom the slow, .3 lbs a day type stuff. My body simply doesn't work that way, and it never has.

Currently I've been setting on 147 for a week, and I am soooo ready to see that number change. I even dreamt about the scale last night and I never do that!!!

I've been living on 1200-1400 calories per day, lifting 3x a week, and cardio about 4x a week. Weighing my food, being exact on my measurements etc. I am tired of seeing the same number every morning!!

I am going to NYC at the end of March and I would love to be under 140 by then, but I just have to see what my body is willing to do. I can never make it do anything.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

I've been at 127 forever as well! I want that whoooosh :-(
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

TOM came today- yipee! Ahem, I mean.. the only reason I say that is that I always get a nice 'whoosh' when it's over. I've noticed since losing at a lower weight, that is the pattern of loss I have now. Slow as molasses most of the month, and then a decent whoosh after TOM. Not ideal but I'll take it!
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #9  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

I am a whoosher, which can be very annoying! When I first started, I was only weighing monthly so I wasn't very in tune with my weight loss pattern. Which was absolutely FINE with me, couldn't handle the head game of the scale. I'm still having trouble with it as I started weekly weighing at the beginning of the year. I've done nothing but whoosh, then stay the same for a good couple weeks, ever since the weekly weigh-ins started.

I just WHOOSHED today!!! WooWWWWWOOOOOO! I was starting to get a little weird in the head after over 2 weeks of no change. I stepped up my exercise, and honestly was feeling just a teensy bit smaller, but no confirmation from the scale was making me wonky. I woke up this am knowing it was my weigh-in day, and I was actually really nervous (almost scared) about getting on the scale, knowing I was going to be in a funk if I saw NO loss again. But I lost 5lbs!!!, so of course I'm on cloud 9. I MUST get used to this whooshing and stop letting it affect me like this.

Hope your whoosh comes soon, OP!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Day 6 and still no change on the scale.

I came back in here today just to read the posts so I could see where others routinely have to go longer too.

It's frustrating because I just started losing weight, so it's not like I've had good weight loss already. Everything I've lost so far, was mostly the water weight.

I feel like I haven't really even lost anything yet!

Just gotta keep telling myself it will happen.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #11  

Well, today is day # 14 for me…in last 7 days I added more carb (1500 cal) for 2 days and then went to very low carb (1,000 cal) on the day 3. This was supposed to move the scale, but it didn’t.

Last edited by onthedietagain; 02-11-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonmb View Post
I just WHOOSHED today!!! WooWWWWWOOOOOO! But I lost 5lbs!!!, so of course I'm on cloud 9. Hope your whoosh comes soon, OP!
Congrats!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I am a whoosher. I can go for 4-5 weeks without losing any weight. Then, whoosh! And those whoosh days sometimes come at inconvenient times because I am running to the bathroom to pee constantly.

Now that I am aware of how my body releases weight, I don't get freaked out about the seeming lack of progress in the short term. I just keep at it.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #14  
Set and determined...

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'6"

I've been stuck at 260 for like two weeks T_T I never heard of this whoosh thing before but I sure hope it'll happen to me soon!
Call Me Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/274/199

Height: 5'5"

I'm a whoosher too! (Sounds a little dirty doesn't it?! lol) I only loose in whooshes, a few ounces up and down, up to two lbs up sometimes, but then a whoosh to the new weight and I start the waiting game again

I never understood that untill this time around, it has led to most of my times giving up in the past - I just didn't have the patience my body needs. Now I know its OK if the scale doesn't move in two weeks, If I am doing things right I'll get my whoosh - and that has made all the difference.
BigBlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote