Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 314/283/135

Height: 5'2"

Red face Hello: Challenging Issues Already!

Hi! I am a relative newbie and I am going to be 58 soon. I have been yo-yo dieting since my early twenties and I went on my first diet at fifteen. I am also an occasional binge eater, but once I realized that I did that I was able to control it. My main problem is, as I guessed, poor food choices and a messed up metabolism caused by years of erratic food/exercise behavior. I verified this PLUS learned some more things when I took a nutrition course last year.

My last derailment came after I was laid off twice in eighteen months and I've been very stressed out again. Four days ago I started in with issues that I know are yeast related, so I cut back drastically on the sweet/starch stuff because my diet had deteriorated due to my depression and being stuck inside. Well, that worked great, I was better within 48 hours! however, planning to shop last night didn't work: on the way to the grocer's my daughter and I had to turn back as her car's alternator was failing, so we have more drama there now!

I had determined to go shopping last nightand planned to pick up lots of veggies and a new notebook to journal calories in. The last loss was major for me, over 40 pounds and I realized later that I was on a self-designed DASH diet. Of course, I need to lose about 150 lbs now. My problem always seems to be that at some point, 6 months, 8 months, or a year, I totally give up over a slow period of time and start eating my "treats" often. I will try to post every day so that I am not tempted to do it again. I used to walk 9 months out of the year, some cardio type and some long-distance, plus weight training. I just can NEVER seem to get below a very muscular 225-235 and right now the scale says I weigh the most ever: 287 (it fluctuates by 7-8 lbs.).

I actually attended a weight-loss surgery seminar 18 months ago but my insurance will not cover that, so I am on my own. I have been packing 100-plus pounds for at least 10 years so this won't be very easy!

Thanks...for listening
Tamsin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Tamsin - you are in good company. I was were you are now. It has taken me 2yrs to lose 60lbs and I'm feeling better, more confident and more determined to keep this up. We didn't gain this weight overnight and losing slow and steady is healthy. You made the first BIG step - by making a choice to be angry about your weight and do something about it. I am not following a formal diet - it just doesn't work for me. Instead I went cold turkey and changed to eat clean - very little processed food. Sure I bend my rules - but this is a life change for me and I'm in control of my choices. I'm going to be 50yrs old and I can't make excuses anymore for my life of obesity. I want this and I'm doing it. Sounds like you are too!!! Best of luck -- this is a GREAT choice to make.
jls0867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #4  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hi Tamsin - Welcome! I know exactly how you feel. You are in the right place/group now. Everyone is so helpful, encouraging, supporting, good ideas, etc etc Good luck with your journey. I too check in every day; don't always write something. I am on a formal program - I've gone back to Weight Watchers. I need to "report" in to someone & checking in with them every week sure helps me. I have been fighting my weight since I don't know when but this time I have a different feeling about it..........GOOD LUCK THERE GIRL!! Catch you all later.
Laffalot is offline   Reply With Quote