Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~February Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us

There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? How about the 60 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #2  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hi all - I'm still here with you. This is the best site. And I feel that I am getting a whole whack of new friends! That's a bonus for sure. I know it is still Jan. but who cares........I'm so glad this site continues. If you all want to see a good movie go see "The King's Speech"; it is amazing. I can see where it has been getting all kinds of nominations. And it is one that you could take your kids too............no wild sex & language is pretty good too. Good to see a good movie with a good story. TTYL.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #3  
TankiniPotential55

S/C/G: ?/158/140

Height: 5'5"

The hardest part about being a February baby was pronouncing the month--getting that first 'R' in was a doozer for me! Now that I've had 5 decades of practice, however, it just rolls off the tongue...

Laffalot, I too loved 'The King's Speech'. So many good lines...amazing acting by all (Helena Bonham Carter is an amazing actress--did you see her in 'Room With A View'? Simply great.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Golden Girls,

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile, I've been working. I do miss posting on here and reading how every one is doing. I work long hours and don't have access to the "net" when I work (wouldn't have time to check it any way). I've been doing well. Didn't even over do on the days I worked, and those days are a problem. I'm so stressed when I get home I want to eat for stress relief. Doesn't wor, but that is a normal tendance for me. Even realizing it, I tend to reach for that first. We got a pretty big snow Friday night but the roads weren't too bad Saturday morning. But we're expecting another BIG snow tomorrow. Thankfully, I don't have to work again Untill Friday.

Z, Prayers for your sisters family, and you too. I know she will be so relieved to have you there. Hard thing to have to go through by yourself.

Rosie, OHH,,,sorry you got burned! I hope it's healing well and you're feeling ok.

Laughalot, We do feel like friends here and Glad you joined us. You can never have too many friends. Thanks for the review on "the Kngs Speach". I don't get to the movies often (except kids movies) and wouldn't want to waste my time, and money, on a so-so movie.

Donna, That is MY chili recipe! Except for the chilies. And I can see that the addition would be an added flavor. I'll have to add them in the next time I make chili. Which is pretty often in the winter time. I like things that last awhile and I can skip a day cooking.

Who posted the zucchini pancakes? Thanks, sounds so good. I will definateally try them.

Thinkingpotential55, I'm glad you found us. Looking forward to getting to know you. Great bunch of people here!

My mondays after working the weekend are always hectic (I call it ketch-up day) so I'll talk to everyone later. I did read all the posts (so many, we're such an active groups, thank goodness)

Everyone have a blessed day,

Freda
Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Jane closed the Januray thread, so I moved my post here.

Good morning all,

Yea ~ days off and the sun is shining. Monday ~ but is my Sat/Sun like a long weekend.

We got a different cell phone and so now during my breaks at work, I can keep up with your posts and don't get so far behind.

Bobbi ~ sorry your headache came back. Glad they are lessening in frequency though.

Zoe ~ so sorry about your nephew. I can only imagine what your sister must be going through. Thoughts and prayers for you all Safe travels.

Lynn ~ glad you are feeling better.

NCNancy ~ enjoy your reading

Mary ~ Where is Indio? Enjoy your travels

Karen MO ~ your cabbage soup sounds yummy ~ good in this cold weather.

Rosey ~ hope your burns are getting better.

Karen FL ~ your idea of the little fork is good. I was already doing the small plate thing. The little spoon is a good idea too ~ could have little bites and savor something and really enjoy it ~ make it last.

Donna ~ that chili recipe sounds yummy.

Laffalot ~ glad you are enjoying it here

Freda ~ glad your on your days off ~ rest up now

Guess I'd better get off and get some stuff done. Hello to those I missed this time around.

Be back later.

Take care
Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #6  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All....
Happy February!! It's snowing outside!! I don't think we'll get anything like what you poor, put-upon, sacrificial folks are getting this year, but it's something (and we need it so much!)! It is very BRRRR, though, only 9 degrees!

TankiniPotential55, please give us something shorter to call you! And welcome!!

Freda, we've missed you! Glad you're okay and are just working too hard.

PT/Zoe, thinking of you and your trek to Asheville....

Rosey, hope your burns are healing! Bobbi, hope your headache goes away... (certainly, that's tattooed on my withered bosom... doubt you me??? ♥ ♥)

Nothing going on today... hope I can stay inside where it's warm and where I belong! Everyone..... warm, dry, and SAFE!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Tankini- I too am a February baby....an old one You're right about the spelling but when I learned it I never forgot...how to pronounce it and how to write it. Funny how the things that were the hardest to learn are often the things that stick with us because we have really worked at them...and of course, esp our birthday month!

Glynn - Indio is in south cal, not too far from Palm Springs. I really like it here...didn't used to like Indio but it has changed a lot since we started snowbirding. So much cleaner and more shopping. We will be here another week then we go on to Yuma...well actually we will be parked in Winterhaven, CA but it's right across the border from Yuma. I'm afraid it may be very windy and dusty there as it often is and I'm hearing it is from people we meet who have been there recently...hoping it will be better by the time we get there. We have been rocked to sleep many a night there. LOL

We walked 30 min today. My dh is trying to increase his walking time. For those who may not know (seems like lots of new people!), he broke his leg last June. He has done very well...almost back to normal but still trying to increase his strength. At home we go to the gym, here we walk. We really enjoy our walks. Today we found an RVer who cuts hair so my dh went back later and got a haircut.

I sat outside a couple times reading..the first time was great...I had to make myself come in and clean house, but later I tried again and it was too breezy for comfort. But of course it's sunny and no rain, and we keep the door open and I feel much closer to the outdoors when RVing.

Lunch time so will stop for now. Have a good day.

Last edited by maryea; 01-31-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

On my way to my volunteer “job,” I hit HEAVY traffic on the PA tpke.

Learned that I can come home via the tpke, but need to go back roads in the morning.

Zoe, my fingers are crossed for you and DH to have a safe trip to NC.

Bobbi, Yes, the stomach problem saved me at the scale on Sunday. I am wondering if for the sake of the team, we would be better off not posting our weight if we gain. Is that cheating?

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffalot View Post
Hi all - I'm still here with you. This is the best site. And I feel that I am getting a whole whack of new friends! That's a bonus for sure. I know it is still Jan. but who cares........I'm so glad this site continues. If you all want to see a good movie go see "The King's Speech"; it is amazing. I can see where it has been getting all kinds of nominations. And it is one that you could take your kids too............no wild sex & language is pretty good too. Good to see a good movie with a good story. TTYL.
Hi LAL,
This site is filled with GREAT women. I am closer to my GG sisters than to some (many?) of my relatives. So glad you found us.
Yes – I LOVED The King’s Speech – no violence, no nudity, and no car chases. What a treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankiniPotential55 View Post
The hardest part about being a February baby was pronouncing the month--getting that first 'R' in was a doozer for me! Now that I've had 5 decades of practice, however, it just rolls off the tongue...

Laffalot, I too loved 'The King's Speech'. So many good lines...amazing acting by all (Helena Bonham Carter is an amazing actress--did you see her in 'Room With A View'? Simply great.
Hi TP,
Yes Helena Bonham Carter is one of my favorite actresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Good Morning Golden Girls,
But we're expecting another BIG snow tomorrow. Thankfully, I don't have to work again Untill Friday.
My mondays after working the weekend are always hectic (I call it ketch-up day) so I'll talk to everyone later. I did read all the posts (so many, we're such an active groups, thank goodness)
Freda
Hi Freda,
Hopefully, the weather will clear up before you have to go to work. So far, forecast here is for ice & rain & back to ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Jane closed the Januray thread, so I moved my post here.
Yea ~ days off and the sun is shining. Monday ~ but is my Sat/Sun like a long weekend.
Mary ~ Where is Indio? Enjoy your travels
Take care
Hi Gayle,
Enjoy your sunny day. Funny – I have been reading “Indio” as Indiana. Hmmm – just did a google search – Indio is in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
Good Morning, All....
Happy February!! It's snowing outside!! I don't think we'll get anything like what you poor, put-upon, sacrificial folks are getting this year, but it's something (and we need it so much!)! It is very BRRRR, though, only 9 degrees!
Nothing going on today... hope I can stay inside where it's warm and where I belong! Everyone..... warm, dry, and SAFE!
Hi Donna,
Stay home & stay warm. We are still having LOTS of accidents on the highways near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
We walked 30 min today. My dh is trying to increase his walking time. He has done very well...almost back to normal but still trying to increase his strength. At home we go to the gym, here we walk. We really enjoy our walks.
I sat outside a couple times reading..the first time was great...I had to make myself come in and clean house, but later I tried again and it was too breezy for comfort. But of course it's sunny and no rain, and we keep the door open and I feel much closer to the outdoors when RVing.
Hi Mary, Enjoy that balmy weather – those of us in the snow path are VERY envious!

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 01-31-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #9  

Hi everyone..nothing earth shaking going on in my neck of the woods..ive been frustrated over this plateu(sp?) sigh so i did some research and ive come to an answer,im eating to many carbs even tho the amounts are small like all my meals ive slipped back into that habbit,so am limiting them for now and see if i get better results..also the exercise is key too..so am doing them every am..geez i hate exercise but i want results so here i go thanks for the advice about the burns,they are uncomfortable but healing,cant imagine folks who are burned really bad ouch ive been working on my pictures, i can while away the day in my little craft corner . hoping
your day is going great rosey
Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi G.G.s,
Just wanted to stop in & say hello to everyone. I’ll be brief, because my library book is calling me.

Zoe, I was thinking about suggesting you read the Stephanie Plum books, because they always make me laugh. Bobbi, I think you were talking about Stephanie’s Grandma. And she does remind me of Sophia on The Golden Girls, except for the way she dresses. I love that she always wears wild clothes, & dyes her hair weird colors. She’s my hero. That’s what I’d like to do, if I was just bold enough.

Enough talk(typing). Gotta get back to that book & see what they’re up to!

Goodnight all,
NCNancy

Last edited by Nancyoyo; 01-31-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good Morning & Happy February,

I am up early bc snow plows scraping the driveway woke me. So far, not much snow. This time, I am mostly worried about the ice & electricity/heat. I have gas heat, but the motor is electric. However, if I lose heat, my SIL will come get me – they have a truck that can drive through snow/ice & a fireplace.

Check back later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone..nothing earth shaking going on in my neck of the woods..ive been frustrated over this plateu(sp?) sigh so i did some research and ive come to an answer,im eating to many carbs even tho the amounts are small like all my meals ive slipped back into that habbit,so am limiting them for now and see if i get better results..also the exercise is key too..so am doing them every am..geez i hate exercise but i want results so here i go thanks for the advice about the burns,they are uncomfortable but healing,cant imagine folks who are burned really bad ouch ive been working on my pictures, i can while away the day in my little craft corner . hoping
your day is going great rosey
Hi Rosey,
The bottom line is when you eat 3,500 calories fewer than you burn, you lose 1 pound. It really doesn’t matter whether the calories are from carbs, fat, or protein. However, carbs often trigger the appetite. Fat and protein does NOT tend to trigger the appetite.

For many of us – certainly me, carbs are our downfall. No matter how many times I try to cut them out of my diet, they ALWAYS creep back in. I REALLY believe I have some kind of physical attraction to carbs.

I wish you and I lived closer. I hate to scrap alone & my two scrapping buddies are too ill to go with me. Maybe I’ll just fly up to Alaska with my scrapping suitcase & we can have a scrapping party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyoyo View Post
Hi G.G.s,
Zoe, I was thinking about suggesting you read the Stephanie Plum books, because they always make me laugh. Bobbi, I think you were talking about Stephanie’s Grandma. And she does remind me of Sophia on The Golden Girls, except for the way she dresses. I love that she always wears wild clothes, & dyes her hair weird colors. She’s my hero. That’s what I’d like to do, if I was just bold enough.
NCNancy
Hi Nancy,

I will check out the Stephanie Plum books. I need a new book on my Nook.

Your post reminded me of the “When I’m an Old Woman” poem –by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
or only bread and pickles for a week
and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
and pay our rent and not swear in the street
and set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #12  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Lynn, I LOVE that poem! And I have been "practicing" for some time, now, precisely to avoid surprising anyone too traumatically once I am "old" and start behaving outrageously! The mismatched clothes, however? Not so much, I don't think. More eccentric, certainly, but if, for example, I were to wear, say, lime green and red, I'm guessing I'd need to be sure of a scarf with both colors in it to "pull it all together".
I am home today, and expect to be working from home through tomorrow. It's already snowing here for sure, city schools are closed, and those that aren't closed have early closings. I see no point in struggling to get in to work, only to be sent home - amidst an army of other frantic drivers - trying to slip and slide my way home after it's been snowing for three or four hours. I can get done what I need to do right here, and stay toasty, warm, and in one piece (unless I have some horrible household accident) while doing it.
I've mapped our route down to NC, and have decided not to attempt to drive straight through on Thursday, as I originally thought to do - with dh and I switching off on the driving, of course, despite the fact that I absolutely HATE his driving. (I'll recline the passenger seat all the way back, and do my best to sleep through it.)Instead, we're going to drive to Durham on Thursday - hopefully leaving @ 6:00 AM and getting into Durham by 7-ish. We'll stay overnight in Durham, and then drive over to Charlotte in time to meet my daughters' flight at 10-ish, and then all drive together to Hendersonville (@ 2 hours west of Charlotte). That will let us get a good night's sleep and be fresh and ready for a long day on Friday, as once we get to my sister's, we'll have just about enough time to freshen up a bit and then head to the 2:00 - 2:30 visiting slot to see David. I spoke with my niece (Sis's daughter) last night, and apparently they had a tough meeting at the hospital, with it looking like David will need a tracheotomy and need to go to a nursing home. I know this is killing my sister. My niece said she was "exhausted" (Translation: completely distraught) and would be speaking with me today. I really need to get down there.
So, here we are, with yet another dumping of snow in process. I'm really concerned about where it's going to go.....we already have limited room on our side streets to get back and forth from home, etc. And the snowbanks are frozen pretty solid; it's not like they can be easily moved, unless they send people out with dumptrucks and cranes, fahgoodness' sake. I can't see them doing that on every street across the city, so it seems that things are just going to get worse and worse before we can expect them to improve any. Groundhog stew, eh? Well, at this point, I guess I could probably give it a trial run. If we can't get out of our caves until the spring thaw, we might find ourselves trying to boil up a pot of dust bunnies!
Rosey. you're far from alone when it comes to carb cravings. But, Lynn is right - it's the number of calories, not the composition of the calories that cause us to gain - or lose - weight. I eat a lot of grains (and lately, more beans than ever before) for the fiber, and Fiber One cereal is the most reliable staple in my cabinets. I use it (ground up) as a flour substitute in muffins, breads, meatloaves, meatballs (turkey; no beef), the black bean patties that Donna posted the recipe for, and also in things like apple crisp that I make using Stevia for sweetening and ground Fiber One in place of the flour. (Also use Olivio in place of the butter that the recipe calls for). So, I'm getting carbs, but also lots of Fiber, which kind of reduces the carb footprint.
Nancy, I'll definitely give the Stephanie Plum books a shot. A little humor would go a long way right about now. (Thanks!)
No, PT, I don't think you'll be subjected to our New England-style weather insanity, either. This is SO extreme.....I just don't know how to characterize it. I just looked outside, and there are pretty much white-out conditions out there, and it wasn't even supposed to start around here until mid-morning.
Gayle, I think maybe my dh is wondering why he left Houston all those years ago right about now. (I know I would be). Warm & sunny, eh? My envy knows no bounds.
Hi Freda, thanks for your kind words about my nephew. We're hoping for the best.
Congrats, Karen3 on all those bridge triumphs! That, and a whiz at cooking, too! Dare I mention that I was thinking that you deserve the title of "Bean Queen"? Watch out, or I may have to start calling you "Queen Bean".
Karen31, I played frisbee golf with dh on the Wii Resort last night. Fun, actually. I think he's trying to get me Wii-ing through a series of relatively painless games and such. It might work.
Hi Laff and TP (welcome to the GG's, TP) - after your rave reviews, I may have to get myself to the movies to see The King's Speech. (Either that, or wait for it to hit Netflix).
How are you feeling today, Bobbi? Better, I sure do hope. You are one strong chickie to keep going with all those miserable headaches of yours! I hope you get some relief sooner rather than later.
What's it looking like down your way this morning, Lyn?
Bunti? Wherefore art thou?
Well, have a good day, y'all. I'll prolly check back in later since I'll be right here on the spot all day long.

Z
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

It's -24 degrees outside, it's dark out, and I was so GOOD this week and in spite of measuring/calculating every freakin' mouthful, and exercising for at least 30 minutes THREE times this week the *&^& scale barely moved - 1 pound weight loss - I am so discouraged right now - I'm going to go cry into my pillow - then I'm going to work ( we don't snow/blizzard days here ) :
Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #14  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning all,

Tea Granny ~ don't be discouraged ~ even though it was only one pound at least the scale is moving in the right direction.

Zoe ~ have a safe trip to NC. It is dark and dreary here today. Supposed to be in the 20's to 30's tomorrow and they are talking snow. I know it will be nothing compared to your huge mountains of it ~ but it is only fair that we should take some of it off your hands/streets

Lynn ~ seeing that poem brought back some good memories for me. Back in 2005 ~ the year me and some of my friends turned 50. We had a get together ~ rented a couple rooms at a kind of resort hotel place. It was fun ~ sort of like a slumber party. We brought gifts to exchange ~ something appropriate for 50 year olds. Talked into the wee hours ~ recalling fun things. I got a purple gift bag that contained a book ~ Freedoms after 50 and a purple suede like covered journal. I printed that poem and pasted it on one of the pages.

Hello to everyone else.

Need to head out to a uniform shop today and try to find a couple new outfits. My scrub jackets are ancient and wearing thin ~ too thin in places to bother patching up.

Be back later. Hope you all have a good day.

Take care
Old 02-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #15  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
-9 right now, supposed to get "up" to 2 degrees today! We got about 2" of snow, and I don't know if the WeatherFools think we'll have more today or not.

PT/Zoe, did you change your picture? I'm obviously a trained observer.... ha! I wondered, too, where all that snow is going to go and if you all are going to have to deal with flooding in a few months? This is CRAZY! Be very safe on your journey, stay in touch, and good thoughts are being sent upward for you and for your nephew.

I've heard only really good things about "King's Speech", so it's on my Netflix list. I just cannot bring myself to spend the money they're asking, even for matinees, at the theaters!

TeaGranny, any loss is a good loss.... unfortunately, your body will know when you're being dedicated, devoted, and GOOD... and will punish you for it! This whole weight thing is a curse!

Rosey, I can't see how you're plateau-ing, since you're caloric intake has to be about 12! How much more have you lost since you were at the 69# gone? Ah, I see by your squiggly that you've lost another 3#. What did the doctor say was an "acceptable/normal" rate of loss? Geez, it looks like you're doing SO WELL!!

Have to go shower, see if the car will start, and then go rescue a miscreant. I'd rather stay inside with a fat cat, an afghan, and a book. Oh, speaking of books, Lynn, the Evanovich Stephanie Plum series IS fun... but I wonder if they'll be your taste? Don't bother, repeat! don't bother, with ANY of her other books... they're terrible!

Onward into the cold...... Warm, safe, and dry, Everyone!
Closed Thread