Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305 / ticker / 175

Height: 5' 10"

Default Scale question

So I've had the same scale for a few years and it has served me well all this time. It was never anything fancy... I think it's a Weight Watchers digital scale. I bought it at WalMart for like $30.

When I weigh myself, I always check twice, just to make sure the number is right. It's like seeing it a second time will cement the number into my brain, I guess. Well for like a month, whenever I weigh myself, the number is different each time I step on the scale. I've stepped on and off like 20 times thinking I was crazy, but every single time I stepped on the number would read differently.

I'm nursing a 2 week old knee injury, and I had been thinking that I was standing on it differently because of my knee... and that might be affecting the number. Except that my knee is basically doing fine now (still brace it when I exercise, but back to normal walking otherwise), and I don't think I'm standing on the scale funny... but the numbers continue to jump every single time.

Anyone with experience on what this might be? Is my scale just dying a slow, painful death? Should I maybe try changing the battery? Do you think I need a new scale? Or am I really just suddenly stepping on it so differently that the numbers read different every time...?

Help!
sabrinalecompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I vote for changing the battery. If that doesn't work, consider then consider the other alternatives.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree- before I changed my battery my scale was a bit nutty.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Time to Get a New Scale

I had the same problem and I felt that it was playing with my head so much that I was losing my confidence or I was having false confidence, neither which were good for me. So, I bought a new WW scale (they are now $80!) and when that starts to act goofy then I will buy a new one. I just feel I need to know the Truth. It's another accountability factor that I personally need to keep me straight and honest with myself.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, get something you know the weight off around the house and check. A 10 lb weight. 5 lb bag of rice. Dog food.

If that also is being wacky, it's probably not you and how you stand on it but the battery. Or if you moved it, where you moved it to might not be as stable. My townhouse scale on tile in the 1st floor was better than upstairs on fluffy carpet for instance.

And if battery does not help, it could be slow scale death and it needs replacement.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-07-2011 at 02:55 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote