Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Default I Don't Care What You Say....

I don't care what you say, you stupid, stupid scale! It has been stuck for two weeks, and today it had the nerve to tell me I gained a pound! Liar! LOL

I have been perfectly on plan eating wise and on week 4 day 1 of C25K exercise wise. Monday is my official weigh in day, but this week it is going to have to be Tuesday because I am not logging a gain. Whatever it is, I know it is not added fat. My clothes are looser, and yesterday I ran into someone I hadn't seen since mid-December and she told me I looked thin and asked if I was dieting, so the scale can take a hike!
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

This is why I started weighing in daily. I need to see those fluctuations every single day. Yesterday I had "lost" a pound and today I have "gained" a pound and a half!! Those are drastic fluctuations for me. I'm not usually that all-over the map. But it just goes to show that the scale is really just a tool and we need to measure our progress in other ways too.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #3  

I weigh daily too, but I only record my Monday weigh in. It doesn't bother me throughout the week to see the normal half pound up, half pound down changes, but on MONDAY it gets to me LOL I guess my body didn't read the calendar. I don't know what is up, but I surely know that I ate 7,900 calories last week, and of those 3500 cannot be extra stored as fat. It'll come eventually.....
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Could be your sodium too high

I used to have crazy weight fluctuations (back in the day)...but that was when my sodium count was through the roof.

Now that I consume 1500-1800mgs of sodium daily (which isn't incredibly low believe it or not)...my weight does not fluctuate all over the place...not even during my TOM...

That said, I usually have a CHEAT MEAL once per week/bi-weekly which consists of high fat, high sodium meal (Jamaican Food, Pizza or Chinese). I weigh myself the day following the CHEAT meal and my weight is ALWAYS up a lb or two. My weight does not return until the 2nd day and usually drops to an all time low on the 3rd day. It does this like clockwork!

SODIUM = silent motivation killer

Just my 2 cents!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #5  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I'm not sure if you do or not, but I highly highly recommend weighing yourself daily if even for a week or two just to get used to those daily fluctuations. My weight easily and often fluctuates between 1-2lbs daily. I am maintaining, so I bounce all over within my range. Sure, it's kind of annoying to be 129 one day when I was 127 the day before. But as long as I'm eating well, I know it's just a silly fluctuation and I don't think anything of it. When I was losing, same thing, I'd go up a pound, down a pound and a half, up two pounds down a pound. Eventually though, I'd start to see new low numbers and stop seeing old high numbers. When you weigh yourself weekly, you might just happen to catch yourself going from a high fluctuation to a low fluctuation and see a big loss or you might see a low fluctuation to a high fluctuation and see little or no loss, which is frustrating. When you weigh yourself daily and get used to seeing fluctuations but can follow the downward trend, you get a much more accurate picture of your weight loss.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #6  

I don't know what is considered high, but my daily sodium average was 1664 for last week. I don't eat canned soups, lunch meats, or frozen dinners, so I am not overly concerned about my sodium intake.

Joyfulloser, maybe that is it, I wouldn't call it a "cheat" meal yesterday because I was within my calories for the day, but for brunch I had a man-made breakfast of two waffles and two slices of bacon, and during the Superbowl I had one slice of homemade cheese pizza and one football shaped donut, all accounted for and within my 1300 calorie range, but maybe my body is hanging on to the junk food for a day and it'll show in the coming days.

Last edited by aimeebell; 02-07-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #7  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I think it's very possible that the junk, even within your calorie range, is causing you to hang onto some water weight. Your body gets used to digesting clean healthy food, and any deviation from that can shake things up a bit. Not that it's at all bad to indulge in planned treats sometimes, in fact, I think your yummy Superbowl day sounds wonderful And props to you for enjoying it within your calorie range. But I am betting your body is just hanging onto it since it's different than your usual diet.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
When you weigh yourself daily and get used to seeing fluctuations but can follow the downward trend, you get a much more accurate picture of your weight loss.
Thanks for your input. I do weigh nearly every morning. I need that affirmation each day to keep me going, but I hadn't weighed all weekend because I was not home. I am only five weeks in and find it strange that the scale would be stalled for the past two weeks. The last time I dieted seriously was 11 years ago on WW. I started at the exact same weight as this time and lost every single week until I got to goal, no gains, no stalls. Granted some weeks were only 1/4 lb. loss, but each week showed me results. Of course, I was 23 years old and everyone said I was lucky because I had metabolism on my side. I thought they were nuts, that I worked my butt off for every 1/4 lb, but now that I am older and wiser, I am thinking hmmmmm, maybe there is something to that theory LOL

I am going to give it one more week of doing what I am doing, and if I show a solid three week stall so early on, I will think about calorie cycling.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #9  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

aimeebell Yup...sounds like the Superbowl stuff is the culprit! Believe it or not...that stuff is LOADED with sodium and probably caused your body to retain water temporarily.

I'd just get back on track and weigh myself everyday until your body releases the water weight. This will also help you to know how your body reacts to certain changes in your diet.

Please report your findings...it will be interesting to know. All the best!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Good for you!! I sure hope to reach a point ( call it a weight loss maturity) where the number on the scale doesn't crush me, in spite of looser clothes and such.
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
I think it's very possible that the junk, even within your calorie range, is causing you to hang onto some water weight. Your body gets used to digesting clean healthy food, and any deviation from that can shake things up a bit. Not that it's at all bad to indulge in planned treats sometimes, in fact, I think your yummy Superbowl day sounds wonderful And props to you for enjoying it within your calorie range. But I am betting your body is just hanging onto it since it's different than your usual diet.
Thanks, it just occurred to me what may be the problem. Because I was not home all weekend, I drank far less water than normal. That could be the culprit. I felt accomplished that I was away from home all weekend and ate on plan and that I made my boys a big Superbowl spread, then picked out the two things I wanted the most and left the rest staying on plan. I think the lack of water combined with the change in diet is the reason. I feel better now that I have a bit of justification at least. :0)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #12  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

Aimeebell, also keep in mind that running will most likely cause your body to hang on to excess water. Make sure you have a 'rest day' in between each run so your muscles can recover. When I tried running in the fall, I was SURE that I was going to lose a nice amount of weight. I didn't. My lower half toned up really fast, but I didn't lose a single pound. You're body is probably looking really good, so try to focus on the way your clothing is fitting and how you're feeling in general. Don't give the scale too much credit.
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwagontsl View Post
Aimeebell, also keep in mind that running will most likely cause your body to hang on to excess water. Make sure you have a 'rest day' in between each run so your muscles can recover. When I tried running in the fall, I was SURE that I was going to lose a nice amount of weight. I didn't. My lower half toned up really fast, but I didn't lose a single pound. You're body is probably looking really good, so try to focus on the way your clothing is fitting and how you're feeling in general. Don't give the scale too much credit.
Hmmmm, I was wondering about that actually. I run/walk every other day, but the day after always sees a small jump in the scale and my leg muscles are sore, so I was wondering if muscles could hang onto water. With just 9 sessions of the C25K, it could be just my imagination, but I swear my legs are already getting bit more toned. I am sure I will lose weight with eating less and moving more, just a matter of time, patience. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #14  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

i must say that I like your attitude about this lol. When I stayed on the same weight for 3 weeks i was DEVASTATED!!!!!!!!!!! lol
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzJuicyD View Post
i must say that I like your attitude about this lol. When I stayed on the same weight for 3 weeks i was DEVASTATED!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Well, I can't say I am thrilled about it! LOL I just feel so much better now compared to five weeks ago, that it is all worth it anyway. I can see/feel results that for whatever reason aren't showing on the scale and I have faith that it will come off. Now, if I don't see results in the numbers next Monday, my attitude will probably be entirely different