Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 07:52 AM   #1  

Default How long does it take...

for very active exercise to start "showing" up on the scale?

I was given the go ahead to begin walking and gradually increasing my exercise 3 weeks after my hysterectomy. I worked my way slowly back up to walking a mile a day.

At six weeks post-op, I was cleared for everything but heavy lifting. So for the last three weeks I have averaged an hour of exercise at least 6 days a week. Usually this is 20 minutes on the EFX or elliptical machine, 20-25 minutes on the treadmill at 3.0 mph with the incline from 1.0 to 7.0, then 2 circuits on my Body by Jake Total Body Trainer, and floor exercises for buns and thighs.

I'm not seeing any weight loss right now, but I know I've lost several inches and can feel muscles in my arms and legs. Could I be gaining muscle that is keeping my weight steady? When should all this muscle kick in and start burning some of these fat reserves?

I feel great and have no intention of slacking off on my exercise program, but wondered when to expect to see it more on the scale?

Thanks for your help,
Christy
Old 04-19-2003, 10:20 AM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Christy - Years ago, I had a membership to a gym and was going daily for about four months. (I kick myself every day for not keeping it up!) Anyhow, in the first six weeks I went down two dress sizes but only lost three pounds. At about eight weeks, the losses began to show on the scale in a big way.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #3  
Searching

I will add to what Jenelle said by saying it takes as long as it takes. The scale is a liar. So far on BFL I have lost a mere 7 lbs, but a whopping 10 inches.

Miss Chris
Old 04-19-2003, 11:04 AM   #4  

Thanks for the quick replies! You girls have confirmed what I was thinking as well.

Sometimes I get a little frustrated and actually begin to think that I'm going to do all this exercise and STILL maintain a weight of nearly 230 pounds! I know it will pay off eventually...patience is not one of my personal virtues! LOL Add to this the fact that my very best friend had gastric bypass a little over two weeks ago and has already lost 20+ pounds....well, you get the drift.

On a more positive note, I just stopped in here to check the board after returning from an aerobics class. My first one in years! I lasted the full hour, too. It wasn't pretty, but I did it. Now I'm going to shower off the smell of success!

Thanks again,
Christy
Old 04-19-2003, 04:18 PM   #5  
missaprylj

So it IS true that I could be all on plan and exercising for the last week and not lost any weight but it's not in vain? grrr.

Old 04-19-2003, 05:33 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Yeah, I'd say about 8 weeks for your body to realize you're serious. Also, muscle weighs more than fat.
Closed Thread