Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #1  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Default I need support after 9 mo on IP

I have been on this plan for over 9 months and I am struggling. I lost the first 100 pounds in 6 months and it was wonderful. My coach toldf me not to exercise until I get all of my weight off, so I did very little. The consequence of that is about 20 pounds of excess skin. In the last 3 months, I have only lost 18 pounds, 3 of which was lost in the last 1 1/2 months. I started working out about 3 weeks ago and it has caused me to be hungry all of the time. So I added an extra protein after working out and tuna to my lunch. I still want to eat all of the time. It is driving me crazy. I want to relax and let it work, but it doesn't help when people all around me is saying "you have lost enough weight". I have 28 pounds to go, unless I count the excess skin, and I just want this to get moving. I am never gaining this weight back, so I hope between me and all of you, I can find the motivation to keep on going. Thanks for reading and hopefully a reply.

Last edited by rosemary2612; 02-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.
rosemary2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #2  

A quick (I hope!) reply ...

Slow weight loss: What's happening with your body size and shape? (i.e. not weight or scale number)

Exercise and hunger: Can you cut back your work outs a bit and play with the food quantity to find a balance? I'm sure you've seen this with many others who've posted -- start to exercise and things change. It makes sense you've upset the apple cart of inputs and outputs. To my mind, the only answer is patience+observation+tweaking, or stop the exercise.

Other people's opinions: You get to decide what you do with your body. Other people's opinions are just that -- opinions. They have all the value of any other opinion and no value as THE TRUTH.

I'll think about this more and probably post again later. Given all you've contributed I wanted to reply ASAP.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #3  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

You have done an amazing job. Have you considered consulting a plastic surgeon for the skin...that might boost you to the next level. I have a consultation for next Monday. Come visit us on the experienced thread we are all struggling.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #4  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary2612 View Post
I have been on this plan for over 9 months and I am struggling.
I've been toying with the idea, over past few days, of sending out a distress signal. I wish I had something worthwhile and helpful to offer. Is the exercise you're doing T-Tapp? I can't because I hurt my back lifting the back of a grand piano so my cleaning lady could pull out the rug. But I really want to start -- just not with your results.

Regardless, I'm so glad to see you back.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #5  
mepeterson

S/C/G: 212/171/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I've been toying with the idea, over past few days, of sending out a distress signal. I wish I had something worthwhile and helpful to offer. Is the exercise you're doing T-Tapp? I can't because I hurt my back lifting the back of a grand piano so my cleaning lady could pull out the rug. But I really want to start -- just not with your results.

Linden,
I know this is off topic but I have been gone for a while and just noticed that it says you now live in Berlin Germany! what did I miss? Holy Crow. I was so looking forward to coming back to Hawaii and meeting you. Now I have to travel to Germany? YIKES
mepeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #6  
ALM
Started IP 12/01/2010

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/175

Height: 5ft 5"

I've done this program twice. The first time for five months before my pregnancy and I'm back on now that my baby is born. I've always done one hour of weight training (this is done in a class like setting) and two half hour cardio sessions at moderate level. These were the recomendations for the program where I am. With that said, I eat one restricted item daily. Also, when I work out I add a bit of fat to my diet (a tbs full fat salad dressing) and a few extra bites of protein at supper time. With doing this, I don't experience hunger on work out days and I don't think that it has adversely affected my losses. Perhaps this is a strategy that you could consider?

BTW- Congrats on your 100lb loss in six months!! That's outstanding!!
ALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #7  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Have you thought about trying the alternative plan? One of the things it is recommended for is for those who don't want to give up their work-outs while on the program. I switched to it to lose a bit of weight after Christmas. I had already gone back to my Zumba'ing and didn't want to give it up. Sometimes your body just needs a change or you need to keep something in those glycogen stores when exercising.

What type of exercise are you doing?

Quote:
I have been on this plan for over 9 months and I am struggling. I lost the first 100 pounds in 6 months and it was wonderful. My coach toldf me not to exercise until I get all of my weight off, so I did very little. The consequence of that is about 20 pounds of excess skin. In the last 3 months, I have only lost 18 pounds, 3 of which was lost in the last 1 1/2 months. I started working out about 3 weeks ago and it has caused me to be hungry all of the time. So I added an extra protein after working out and tuna to my lunch. I still want to eat all of the time. It is driving me crazy. I want to relax and let it work, but it doesn't help when people all around me is saying "you have lost enough weight". I have 28 pounds to go, unless I count the excess skin, and I just want this to get moving. I am never gaining this weight back, so I hope between me and all of you, I can find the motivation to keep on going. Thanks for reading and hopefully a reply.
EatAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
I have been on this plan for over 9 months and I am struggling. ..... I want to relax and let it work, but it doesn't help when people all around me is saying "you have lost enough weight".
I just want to address one part of your difficulty. This may or may not be helpful. When someone tells you "you have lost enough weight", if you can reply (hopefully in a genuinely curious or humorous manner, rather than an emotionally charged or challenging manner) "According to whom?"
That puts the ball in their court to address THEIR issues with your weight loss, rather than make you have issues which you didn't even have in the first place.

It can be quite illuminating, and is a refreshing change from being on the defensive or trying to explain yourself. Because you really don't owe anyone an explanation!

Last edited by Crystal88; 02-01-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Crystal88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/228/150

Height: 5'1"

Default your posts inspired me

Dear Rosemary, I am new to IP ( 8 wks, 22.5 lbs off so far) alot to go. Just found this site a few days ago. Your photos were some of the first I saw and I was amazed at the transformation. Please be happy w/ who you are, you have reached people. I have a friend who had bypass surgery years ago and has finally lost all her weight. She had loose skin and chose to have her stomach and arm extra skin removed by a plastic surgeon. Not for everyone, but she is thrilled. Another person did not and with the clothes choices and the confidence with which she carries herself it is obovious she has peace with what she has achieved and who she is. Her new shape allows her to move so much more easily that some "extra skin" is just part of that now and she has adjusted. I pray you find the peace with the success you are having, you deserve it.May you bask in the light of your success and not be too hard on yourself.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #10  
Health vs. Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
A quick (I hope!) reply ...

Slow weight loss: What's happening with your body size and shape? (i.e. not weight or scale number)

Exercise and hunger: Can you cut back your work outs a bit and play with the food quantity to find a balance? I'm sure you've seen this with many others who've posted -- start to exercise and things change. It makes sense you've upset the apple cart of inputs and outputs. To my mind, the only answer is patience+observation+tweaking, or stop the exercise.

Other people's opinions: You get to decide what you do with your body. Other people's opinions are just that -- opinions. They have all the value of any other opinion and no value as THE TRUTH.

I'll think about this more and probably post again later. Given all you've contributed I wanted to reply ASAP.
Thanks for your quick reply - What I like about people's opinions is the fact that I can take what I like and leave the rest behind. I will get through this, the hardest part is behind me. I do know that I have your support and so many others on this forum. I love knowing that and I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

Thanks Linden - you are great - I love your support. I do some T-Tapp at home, but I also joined the YWCA and work out in their gym 3X's a week for 30-40 min and I use handheld resistance trainers and I do my cardio in the therapeutic pool (90*). I run/walk for 30 minutes three times per week. (Same days as I work out).

I am so sorry to hear about your back. I hope you get better soon. I just need to buck up and lose the lasty 28 pounds and stop whining. Good to hear from you and I am happy you finally made it to Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAnts View Post
Have you thought about trying the alternative plan? One of the things it is recommended for is for those who don't want to give up their work-outs while on the program. I switched to it to lose a bit of weight after Christmas. I had already gone back to my Zumba'ing and didn't want to give it up. Sometimes your body just needs a change or you need to keep something in those glycogen stores when exercising.

What type of exercise are you doing?
This may be a good idea. When I was first on the IP Plan I was on the alternative plan because I was on insulin. I lost a lot on that plan. I think I am going to try Phase2 for another week and see what happens. If I don't do well, I will try the alternative plan. Thanks - great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Dear Rosemary, I am new to IP ( 8 wks, 22.5 lbs off so far) alot to go. Just found this site a few days ago. Your photos were some of the first I saw and I was amazed at the transformation. Please be happy w/ who you are, you have reached people. I have a friend who had bypass surgery years ago and has finally lost all her weight. She had loose skin and chose to have her stomach and arm extra skin removed by a plastic surgeon. Not for everyone, but she is thrilled. Another person did not and with the clothes choices and the confidence with which she carries herself it is obovious she has peace with what she has achieved and who she is. Her new shape allows her to move so much more easily that some "extra skin" is just part of that now and she has adjusted. I pray you find the peace with the success you are having, you deserve it.May you bask in the light of your success and not be too hard on yourself.
Thanks for your encouragement - sounds like you are off to a great start, too. I have actually considered plastic surgery. If I go to the Dominican Republic I could have my arms and stomach done for $8,000. That includes everything except airfare. I would be in the hospital for three days and in a fancy resort for 5 days. The care sounds phenomenal and I am not scared, but when it is all said and done it is about $10,000 and I would want someone to go with me. It is still in my head and I haven't decided one way or another. Thanks for your input - I appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #11  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

Rosemary, I wanted to say I love your new avatar pic. You look great! Unfortunately I don't have any wonderful sage advice for you, but I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are to others. You have been on this program for quite a long time yet you have stayed truely dedicated. Your progress shows it. If you need more inspiration you only need to look back on your own progress pics and see how far you've come! I wish you the best.
Mamadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Quote:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Hi Rosemary!!!

It's been a long, long time since I've posted... lets see if I still remember how to reply...

Unfortunately, I can empathize with much of what you've shared. Just as unfortunate, I have no easy answer or suggestions for you. Weight loss is such a singular activity. Yes, we all receive support (especially through this forum), but when it comes down to it, losing the weight AND keeping it off is something only you, the individual can do. Therefore, you have to not only decide what is best for you, but what is most comfortable for you.

Even though I'm "in maintenance" I still hear comments like: "don't you think you've lost enough weight?" "You've gotten too skinny." "Are you anorexic?" I've been about the same weight/size for awhile now, and so I find these comments not only to be insulting, but out of line. I know we've had this discussion before: it's amazing how people feel entitled to tell us they're "concerned" we've lost too much weight, but where were these same people and their comments of concern when we were grossly overweight??? People who make these types of comments are usually uncomfortable in their own bodies (regardless of their size) and are shifting their own negative feelings about themselves unto others (IMO). When people make comments about my size I either ignore the comment, or say something to the effect of, "My doctor tells me I've never been healthier or in better shape and seeing she went to medical school, I'm going to have to agree with her medical opinion and not your personal opinion." Yes, the latter is said in a very witchy tone, but believe me, after saying this, I've never had the same person make the same type of comment again!

Okay, I'm babbling.... 9 months ago Rosemary when you decided you'd had enough and wanted to lose the weight, why did you decide to do it? Too get healthy? To get off medications? To be as skinny as you were when you first got married? To fit into a bikini? Think back to what your original reasons were. Have you accomplished your original goal(s)? Or is it time to readjust some of those goals? Just like you, I followed the IP protocol for a long time. I struggled with knowing when it was time to phase off. Even as I was phasing off, I was struggling with the question, "is it time... have I lost as much as I want..." It took a while, but I finally made peace with my body. I also needed time to adjust to my "new shape/size." Yeah, I'd like to lose the flab around my knees and thighs, but it's just not in my genetic profile.

I exercised throughout my initial weight loss and still continue to exercise on a daily basis. For me personally, it's a mental thing. I do find there are days when I'm beyond hungry, more like ravaging hungry. Through trial and error, I've found my body has to have the right amount of fat along with protein - or I end up feeling like no amount of food is going to suffice. After I went on maintenance, I started keeping a food/work out journal. Recently, I've noticed a pattern of the days when I'm raving hungry and it's always after days of heavy cardio and strength training when I haven't consumed much fat. I'm currently trying to up my fat intake (omega 3,6,9 oil and gross fish oil tablets). Trial and error... I know it's just a matter of finding a balance between my exercising and protein/fat intake. Keeping a food/exercise journal might be a helpful method also (if you don't already do one). Try tweaking things one item at a time. Something is bound to click. Personally, I wouldn't give up exercising, especially if this is something you plan on continuing with long term to maintain your weight.

What are your thoughts on phasing completing off? I lost weight even after completely phasing off. I attribute this to my being able to up my exercise level. I also think after months and months on a restricted calorie/carb/fat level, my body was grateful to have the added nutrients/food/calories. If you haven't lost much weight in the past 2 months, maybe your body is telling you it's ready to try something different. You already know YOU ARE NOT GOING TO EVER GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK, so maybe it's time to try something different. The IP protocol is terrific for losing the weight quickly, there's no doubt about it, but maybe it's time to give your body a break. You can always phase off for 6-8 weeks and then start again.

Have you had your thyroid levels (TSH, T3 & T4) checked recently? For the past 6 months, I've had my levels checked every 6 weeks as my thyroid is slowly, but surely dying out. If you have any type of thyroid issues, this is something to stay on top of. It could be a possible explanation for your slowed weight loss.

Yes, I'm still babbling...

You've come so far Rosemary. I know how frustrating it is when you work so hard and follow the protocol to a T and yet, you aren't seeing the results you think (and know) you should. When you find yourself questioning what you're doing more often than not... when you start getting more and more frustrated with the outcome... when you find you're not happy with what you're doing... then it's probably time to start reevaluating what you are doing and why you're doing it. Change is good and it's scary... but what do you have to lose???

So Rosemary... you've got quite a few choices:
* go back to following the protocol with out exercising
* follow the protocol and continue exercising w/o adding any extra protein
* follow the protocol and continue exercising w/adding extra protein
* change to the alternative plan w/o exercising
* change to the alternative plan w/exercising
* phase off completely w/o exercising
* phase off completely w/exercising
* do nothing
* do something completely different

Regardless of what you decide to do Rosemary, the key word is YOU decide. Losing the weight and keeping it off is a life long journey, experiment and try new things. Somewhere out there, is the right balance of food/nutrition/exercise for you. Don't worry about what others have to say, because when it comes down to it, you're the one living in your body and only you knows what's best for you.

You're a strong woman Rosemary, full of incredible beauty, wisdom and insight. Believe in yourself and your body, just as much as you believe in the advice and love you give to the ones you love and care about.

Okay... enough rabbling...
hugs, m

[/FONT]
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #13  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
[

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
This is about the best babble I've ever seen. I'm sure Rosemary won't mind sharing it with the rest of us. Thanks. A lot.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Hi Rosemary!!!

It's been a long, long time since I've posted... lets see if I still remember how to reply...

Unfortunately, I can empathize with much of what you've shared. Just as unfortunate, I have no easy answer or suggestions for you. Weight loss is such a singular activity. Yes, we all receive support (especially through this forum), but when it comes down to it, losing the weight AND keeping it off is something only you, the individual can do. Therefore, you have to not only decide what is best for you, but what is most comfortable for you.

Even though I'm "in maintenance" I still hear comments like: "don't you think you've lost enough weight?" "You've gotten too skinny." "Are you anorexic?" I've been about the same weight/size for awhile now, and so I find these comments not only to be insulting, but out of line. I know we've had this discussion before: it's amazing how people feel entitled to tell us they're "concerned" we've lost too much weight, but where were these same people and their comments of concern when we were grossly overweight??? People who make these types of comments are usually uncomfortable in their own bodies (regardless of their size) and are shifting their own negative feelings about themselves unto others (IMO). When people make comments about my size I either ignore the comment, or say something to the effect of, "My doctor tells me I've never been healthier or in better shape and seeing she went to medical school, I'm going to have to agree with her medical opinion and not your personal opinion." Yes, the latter is said in a very witchy tone, but believe me, after saying this, I've never had the same person make the same type of comment again!

Okay, I'm babbling.... 9 months ago Rosemary when you decided you'd had enough and wanted to lose the weight, why did you decide to do it? Too get healthy? To get off medications? To be as skinny as you were when you first got married? To fit into a bikini? Think back to what your original reasons were. Have you accomplished your original goal(s)? Or is it time to readjust some of those goals? Just like you, I followed the IP protocol for a long time. I struggled with knowing when it was time to phase off. Even as I was phasing off, I was struggling with the question, "is it time... have I lost as much as I want..." It took a while, but I finally made peace with my body. I also needed time to adjust to my "new shape/size." Yeah, I'd like to lose the flab around my knees and thighs, but it's just not in my genetic profile.

I exercised throughout my initial weight loss and still continue to exercise on a daily basis. For me personally, it's a mental thing. I do find there are days when I'm beyond hungry, more like ravaging hungry. Through trial and error, I've found my body has to have the right amount of fat along with protein - or I end up feeling like no amount of food is going to suffice. After I went on maintenance, I started keeping a food/work out journal. Recently, I've noticed a pattern of the days when I'm raving hungry and it's always after days of heavy cardio and strength training when I haven't consumed much fat. I'm currently trying to up my fat intake (omega 3,6,9 oil and gross fish oil tablets). Trial and error... I know it's just a matter of finding a balance between my exercising and protein/fat intake. Keeping a food/exercise journal might be a helpful method also (if you don't already do one). Try tweaking things one item at a time. Something is bound to click. Personally, I wouldn't give up exercising, especially if this is something you plan on continuing with long term to maintain your weight.

What are your thoughts on phasing completing off? I lost weight even after completely phasing off. I attribute this to my being able to up my exercise level. I also think after months and months on a restricted calorie/carb/fat level, my body was grateful to have the added nutrients/food/calories. If you haven't lost much weight in the past 2 months, maybe your body is telling you it's ready to try something different. You already know YOU ARE NOT GOING TO EVER GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK, so maybe it's time to try something different. The IP protocol is terrific for losing the weight quickly, there's no doubt about it, but maybe it's time to give your body a break. You can always phase off for 6-8 weeks and then start again.

Have you had your thyroid levels (TSH, T3 & T4) checked recently? For the past 6 months, I've had my levels checked every 6 weeks as my thyroid is slowly, but surely dying out. If you have any type of thyroid issues, this is something to stay on top of. It could be a possible explanation for your slowed weight loss.

Yes, I'm still babbling...

You've come so far Rosemary. I know how frustrating it is when you work so hard and follow the protocol to a T and yet, you aren't seeing the results you think (and know) you should. When you find yourself questioning what you're doing more often than not... when you start getting more and more frustrated with the outcome... when you find you're not happy with what you're doing... then it's probably time to start reevaluating what you are doing and why you're doing it. Change is good and it's scary... but what do you have to lose???

So Rosemary... you've got quite a few choices:
* go back to following the protocol with out exercising
* follow the protocol and continue exercising w/o adding any extra protein
* follow the protocol and continue exercising w/adding extra protein
* change to the alternative plan w/o exercising
* change to the alternative plan w/exercising
* phase off completely w/o exercising
* phase off completely w/exercising
* do nothing
* do something completely different

Regardless of what you decide to do Rosemary, the key word is YOU decide. Losing the weight and keeping it off is a life long journey, experiment and try new things. Somewhere out there, is the right balance of food/nutrition/exercise for you. Don't worry about what others have to say, because when it comes down to it, you're the one living in your body and only you knows what's best for you.

You're a strong woman Rosemary, full of incredible beauty, wisdom and insight. Believe in yourself and your body, just as much as you believe in the advice and love you give to the ones you love and care about.

hugs, m

[/FONT]
WOW!! Makeitmatter what a great post! I read it twice!
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #15  
Health vs. Madness

Makeitmatter,

Oh my gosh, where have you been? I have missed you. Your post is incredible and I want to thank you for coming out of lurking to encourage me. I am "thinking" better, than the day I wrote this cry for help. Thanks for the suggestion of increasing my fat through Omega oils, etc. I think I will try that. I am doing pretty well right now. I have my motivation back and I hope to keep it for awhile. I know we talked a lot about exercising in the past and I am finally doing it on a regular basis. I love it and I am going to continue to do it. Stay in touch - I was worried about you. Looks like you have lost another 12 pounds since we last talked. Great job!