General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #1  

Default 17 Day Diet

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is trying the 17 DAY DIET that was featured on the Dr. Phil show? My girlfriend has lost 8 lbs in 12 days and even had a few slips over the Christmas holiday. I have ordered the book and plan to begin on January 2nd.

Thanks!
Gwen
justbeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 316/306.5/199

Height: 6'1''

Hi Gwen,
I just bought the book and it looks like it will take a while to come in. Does the book have sample meal plans to follow for the 17 days?
Thanks.
barb
Simiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #3  

Hi Gwen and Barb,

My name is Katie. I am on day 3 of The 17 day diet. As of this morning I am down almost 5 pounds. I AM ASTONISHED! but I can feel it. It may be water weight, I don't know. What I do know is that I am following it to the T. I did the 17 min. total body exercise and man am I sore this morning!

I have been dieting my whole life. But I have also been NOT dieting and over eating. I started the diet with 44 pounds to loose. I'm going by the Dr. ideal weight chart in the book. I started at 189 and this morning 184.6. YES!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear how you all are doing.

Barb, it has meal plans and I am following them. Basically good portions of protein, cleansing vegetables. Also green tea with each meal. I finished up the book this morning. I had questions that it finally answered. I was wondering when you finish up the first 3 17 day plans, and have more to loose what do you do? and the answer is, you go back and do them all again. I do not consider this a fad diet, and the Dr. says plain and simple. You will ALWAYS have to be on a diet, it is just the way it is. But in the last plan, you do get weekends off?!

Anyway, as you can see, I'm pretty excited. I am having be cook differently for myself and my husband and mother in law. They do not need the restrictions, so far I'm not even TEMPTED to have their food! I'M LOOSING!!

Can't wait for you to get your books and get started.

Have a great day,

Katie
kbickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #4  

Hi Ladies!

I am on day 2 of the 17 day diet and I'm really enjoying it! I have already lost 5 lbs and I'm sure that's water weight but it's still encouraging. I have experienced a little discomfort but I'm sure it's just my body adjusting and detoxing. I really like how Dr Mike includes meal plans in the book. I have found through many attempts at dieting that I need clear perimeters and something specific to follow. Since starting the 17 day diet, I have had moments when I've felt really hungry but after drinking some water, I realized I was just thirsty.

I am in total agreement with you Katie, this is not at all a fad diet. It will very easily become a way of life for me. Congratulations on your success thus far...keep it up! I think dieting is always easier when you have others you can call on for support.

Barb, I think it took my book a week and a half, maybe 2 to come in. Hopefully it won't take that long for yours. I ordered it a few days after I saw Dr Mike on Dr Phil's show and I'm sure they were being slammed with orders. I decided to wait until after the holidays to start this diet and I'm glad I did. Best of luck to you!

Gwen, were you able to start on January 2? I hope things are going well for you! It really is a great diet. I have tried every diet known to man and there is just something different about this one.

Keep pluggin' away girls! Through all the diets and weight loss methods I have tried, I have discovered that it doesn't come easy, making the old adage "the best things in life are worth working for" so true! Best of luck to you, girls and many blessings!

Dana
SunnieDayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #5  

I was wondering if V8 was a good idea in phase 1. Any thoughts?
Kimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #6  

I can't imagine V8 would be too bad for you except for maybe the high sodium. You could always opt for the low sodium V8 but I don't especially like the taste.

I have encountered questions about the diet but don't know where to find the answers. I have pretty much just followed my intuition and previous diet knowledge. I wish there was a number you could call or some way you could email for answers. I'm still losing so I guess I'm doing something right.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #7  
guineverenj

S/C/G: 176/167/145

Height: 5.7'

Hello, I just ordered the book today! I am already on a plan with the old LAWL and I figure I will just start when the book comes...if I can shed a few pounds before I start the 17 days, it can only help!! Can anyone give me some suggestions from their book on how to start or certain foods to stay away from....Thanks and I will be happy to share info w others when I finally get the book.
guineverenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #8  

Hi Guineverenj! Dr Moreno's plan includes a lot of lean protein, vegetables and low glycemic index fruits. He also lists probiotic foods like lowfat plain yogurt (regular and greek), lowfat cottage cheese with live active cultures, plain kefir (drinking style yogurt) and in his meal plans he suggests mixing in a cup of berries and sugar free jam for sweetness. For salads, he says 1 tbsp of olive or flaxseed oil and 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and I didn't think it would be good but it was great! He has some recipes in the back of his book that he includes in his meal plans that are really good and simple. With every meal, you also have 1 cup of green tea. I hope this isn't confusing you. Basically, for breakfast he has 2 scrambled egg whites, one serving of low GI fruit (like half grapefruit) or a kefir smoothie (1 cup of kefir, 1 cup of berries, 1 tbsp flaxseed oil, blended). Then for lunch, a large green salad or chicken vegetable soup and then dinner is a lean protein and lots of veggies. Dr Mike also wants you to drink lots of water. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me. I would love to offer whatever advice I can, although I'm far from a pro. I'm pretty much just learning as I go.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/155/135

Height: 5'2"

SunnieDayZ,
Congrats on losing the 5 pounds! Thanks so much for the info. It sounds similar to South Beach at least for the first 17 days, but I don't know all the details yet. Just add the water, tea and grapefruit. No? I read someone mentioned drinking a cup of hot water with the juice of half a lemon first thing every morning. Is this just for the first 17 days or always?? Is it supposed to clean out your system?
Thanks for any help and I hope we will all lose weight together and reach our goals!!
GAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/155/135

Height: 5'2"

SunnieDayz,
Congrats on your weight loss already! It is such a motivator. I read somewhere about drinking a hot cup of water with the juice of half a lemon first thing each morning. Is this just for the first 17 days or "forever". Since most people are just getting started on this diet that not much is said about the other cycles. I hope they are doable. The first cycle seems okay as I'm used to doing South Beach. I'm waiting for the book, but am motivated now to do it so don't want to lose the momentum!
Thanks for sharing!
GAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #11  

I just got my book today and my husband and I will be starting Monday (if not sooner). If anyone else is doing it, let me know!
magnolia blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #12  

By the way, GA, it does say to start each day with a cup of hot water with lemon. I don't know if you *have* to do it, but it doesn't seem too bad, really.
magnolia blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #13  

I am on the fence about ordering the book. I love milk. I have read on the Dr's and Dr. Phil boards that you have to have acidopholus added milk. Is that Kefir or milk? This may be a deal breaker for me even if 17 days.
spcdcider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

I'm starting this tomorrow. I'm going to take probiotic pills instead of through food. I got my book quickly, which was nice. Gl everyone.
beaner0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #15  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

I do not have the book but am trying to restrict the carbs as suggested, along with some other tips from the diet. I have lost 5 lbs in 8 days which is huge for me with no working out (I was sick last week). I think it is warm lemon water not hot. Also, I have been drinking skim milk daily.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote