General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #1  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Default 17 Day Diet Anyone?

Hi everyone!

This morning I was watching Dr. Phil and he had a guest, a doctor that was advertising his new diet plan. He had some guests that were testifying for the diet, and it sounded like a pretty healthy plan. It's really nothing new, it was a diet plan to keep the metabolism reved up by changing protein, carb, etc....intake.

I was wondering if anyone else saw this and had plans or has even tried it? I ordered the book/dvd combo. It was a really good price I thought. 29.00 before shipping. I was just wondering, I am starting to plateau, so I thought about giving this 17 day diet a try. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with it?
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

My opinion? Save your $29 + shipping. Unless you're an elite athlete or super lean already, there's no need for fancy carb cycling. Pretty much any reasonable diet that creates a caloric deficit will work, where reasonable means at least moderate protein and some fat (i.e., don't get 85% of your calories from refined starches and sugars).

If your plateau has lasted less than a month, keep doing what you're doing and be patient. If it's lasted more than a month, eat less, move more, or both. Start with a 10% deficit, and go from there.

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

I just got the book the other day. It only took 5 days to get to me. I'm starting it tomorrow with a friend. I'll let you know how it's going and hopefully you will do the same.
beaner0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #4  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Beaner - I just ordered my book yesterday, so I should get it next week sometime (weather permitting that is). Please let me know what you think and how everything goes with you, and I promise to let you know how I'm doing on the diet! Hope it works well for you! Good luck!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
My opinion? Save your $29 + shipping. Unless you're an elite athlete or super lean already, there's no need for fancy carb cycling. Pretty much any reasonable diet that creates a caloric deficit will work, where reasonable means at least moderate protein and some fat (i.e., don't get 85% of your calories from refined starches and sugars).

If your plateau has lasted less than a month, keep doing what you're doing and be patient. If it's lasted more than a month, eat less, move more, or both. Start with a 10% deficit, and go from there.

//b. strong,
Kim
x2 carb cycling is really for manipulating the body at very low body fat levels... it's a bodybuilding trick, not for the average or even better-than-average person to lose weight.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

The carbs are added back after 17 Days.

Lorie, today was day two and it's not bad. I'm a carb and sugar freak. I had cut out sugar prior to this, but not carbs although I was eating healthy ones. We went out to eat last night and I had two corn soft taco shells with dinner. I skipped the margarita and skipped a cupcake today at a party.
So far I'm just eating when hungry. Mostly eggs, chicken broccoli since thats all my favorite. Keeping my self full is the trick. Waking in the morning I am starving, so don't mess around on that. I try to eat my 2 servings of fruit by 2pm. I can say that it's very doable and I'm not good with diets. I was down 1.5 lbs since yesterday morning. I know it's water at this point, but you'll read in the book that this counts like fat does and that too much water retention keeps you from burning fat efficiently. Looking forward to hearing what youthink of it. I'll check in on ya daily. We seem to be the only people here doing this. Dr Phil and the Doctors site has a lot of good info and forums on this.
beaner0620 is offline   Reply With Quote