Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #1  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

Question I dont know if I can handle the responsibility!!!!!

Well ive started my weight loss adventure back in November (week of thanksgiving) and since then ive become obsessed with fitness and nutrition. I'm by NO MEANS an expert but i spend a lot of time researching and coming here to learn new stuff. Well i work at the public library which is a city agency. Every year they have a Get Fit challenge from January-April. Each department forms a team and they do things together to get fit and healthy. I had no idea about this program since ive only been working there 6 months lol.

The secretary told me one day that "Hey Danielle, since u like working out so much, im volunteering you as team captain for Human Services!" I just laughed it off and thought she was joking. hahaha I was wrong lol. Yesterday I got an email from her saying that I had a meeting TODAY with the Director of Human Services to discuss my ideas! I am CRAZY nervous lol.

This is really going to be a challenge for me because im not really a take charge type of person. What if they hate my ideas? Im probably the youngest employee in the Human Services department. I need some help guys! Here are my list of things that we could do. Please give feedback and feel free to suggest more ideas! Thanks

1. Walk at Lunch Day: Staff will walk around surrounding neighborhoods. That will give us opportunity to get the library out there.
2. Im going to talk to my zumba instructor to see if she could do a zumba class in our auditorium for staff and team members
3. Find a nutritionist to come lecture about healthy food choices (I really need this! lol)
4. Participate in a local 5k
5. I want to do something like a recipe swap. We could meet at one of the member's houses and have everyone bring healthy dishes
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

Height: 5'7"

These sound like great ideas! Congratulations- I am sure you will be up to the challenge. This is so cool!
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

At our work, we do two things that you might want to add to your suggestions.

-We have a group of people who are training together for a 5k. Some run before work together (doing the Couch25k plan) and others run after work. We are having a good turnout.
-Everyone tries to do 5 minute walks every other hour. We just take 5 minutes away from our desks or stations and walk around. I work at a car dealership, so we walk across the parking lot to the used car sales building....or back to the car wash area....but we do about 20 minutes of walking during the day. Several people who were sedentary all day have seen weight loss just from doing that.

-Oh and one other thing, we have a healthy pot luck once a week. Everyone brings something they consider "healthy" whether it is a fruit tray, grilled veggies or meat, or even just a lighter version of their favorite casserole. We do that for lunch once a week and then exchange recipes for stuff we liked.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #4  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh my gosh, girl, you have fantastic ideas!! I think you are up to the challenge. Imagine how invigorating this will be for your plan and how you will be directly inspiring others.

I say you give it a try!!!! Doing something like this will be a total boost to your confidence and will really get you feeling like a person who lives a health and fitness lifestyle. I LOVE it!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

I think these are great ideas, Danielle. I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck and have fun!
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #6  
Danielle

Thanks guys! Ive been doing research all morning and i found that they are have an 18th Annual Shamrock 5K run/walk in March. It's a little over 6 weeks away. I had thought about starting the c25K program anyways. I think if I start now I will be fine by then. I know I probably wont be able to run the entire thing by then but hey! Its a run/walk lol. This will be my first time participating in anything like this!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

I actually think your ideas are fabulous! Something else I've heard done at work places is to have a Learn & Lunch once a week (which you kind of have covered already with the nutritionist). My mom's work did this a few years ago, where you would do a short presentation about simple swaps that the team could focus on. One week, it was 'Don't Drink Your Calories' which focused on trying to get everyone to drink more water (or at least some diet sodas). I also find personally that if your work has a cafeteria or break/lunch room, it's much easier to sit together with your weight loss team because you'll all be eating healthy. It's hard for me some days to sit and have dinner with 1 of my room mates because she always orders out for pizza or chinese!

Stay positive, because your ideas really aren't that bad! And if they don't like any of them, I would say (politely) something to the effect of "Ok, what ideas do you have that we could build on?" They'll either shut up right away because they don't have any or they'll have a few nice ideas you can snag to start as you're thinking of your own
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You could also do a cookbook for the recipe swaps. For the potluck tell everyone to submit the recipe they are bringing (along with the nutrition information) and then compile it into a small cookbook.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #9  
Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
You could also do a cookbook for the recipe swaps. For the potluck tell everyone to submit the recipe they are bringing (along with the nutrition information) and then compile it into a small cookbook.
Thats a GREAT idea! Thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Congrats! I think you are THE perfect fit for the role of a captain. All your ideas are EXCELLENT.
Keep it up, girl!

Edited to add:

One more idea if you like: How to exercise if one does not have time (or the funds) to sign up at a gym. (Or, how to balance weight loss and family life). Something like that.

Last edited by Tomato; 02-03-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #11  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Something simple might be a fruit basket in the kitchen- have everyone bring fruit to snack on and share rather than cookies and cakes.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #12  
Danielle

Well today i met with the Human Services director and she LOVED my ideas. Now I have to pitch the idea to the Social Services department monday. Wish me luck!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Okay, I want you to take a minute and think about something . .

A few months ago, do you think that YOU would have been the first person someone thought of to head an effort like this?!?

This is amazing!

I think this shows just how far you have come and just how much of a life commitment you have shown already!!! The people in your life can see it!!

I hope you are giving yourself a real pat on the back for this!

Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #14  
Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid77 View Post
Okay, I want you to take a minute and think about something . .

A few months ago, do you think that YOU would have been the first person someone thought of to head an effort like this?!?

This is amazing!

I think this shows just how far you have come and just how much of a life commitment you have shown already!!! The people in your life can see it!!

I hope you are giving yourself a real pat on the back for this!

You are so right. Today at the meeting one of the ladies was talking about spending all this money to join this program where they basically eat nothing but steamed veggies and the company's power shakes. I told her that she could save all that money and just learn the proper way to eat. Reduce portion sizes, eat green leafy veggies, and whole grains. Then I was telling her about the power of protein and weight training. I had to kinda step back and evaluate myself. I was SOOO proud of how much ive grown and matured in this thing. I've done my research and now I can offer great advice for those who want to lose it quick without much work. In that moment i did give myself a pat on the back!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Earn a PALA as a team.
http://www.presidentschallenge.org/

Walk Route 66 together.
http://aarp.getfitonroute66.com/

More virtual walking...

http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/webwalkingusa.htm

There's other ideas.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-03-2011 at 07:04 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote