Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/148/130

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Focaccia -Style Flax Bread

Hopefully I posted this in the right area, I looked around and didn't see this already posted

Ingredients:

* 2 cups flax seed meal
* 1 Tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
* 5 beaten eggs
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/3 cup oil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Nutritional Information:

Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

I made this the other day, and it BLEW me away!! It was so good, and tasted like I was cheating and having real bread! This could easily be used for sandwich bread too. Even my husband, (who isn't doing SB) loved it!

Here's the video: (C&P since I can't post links yet)
video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/Focaccia-Style-Flax-Bread.htm

Last edited by TinaT; 04-02-2010 at 01:41 PM.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #2  

I'm surprised no one has tried this and commented yet! I'm back to doing phase 1 with my husband, and here we were on day one thinking about bread. I made this tonight and it was pretty good! Some things I probably did wrong: I forgot flax has a bit of a bitter taste and I didn't put in as much splenda as the recipe called for. I think it should have used the full amount. Also, I didn't let it bake quite long enough and it was a little moist.

I think next time I might add something to it... italian spices maybe? A little rosemary on the top? It's definitely good and a great recipe to have for phase one! Thanks!!

Suz
SBSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

I made it today and it was very good. I got 8 pieces and cut one in half and made a ham and cheese sandwich...its is very close to bread and holds together well! I took a quick pic to show...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 605.jpg (36.5 KB, 95 views)
valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #4  
2X4 no more

S/C/G: 320/284/140

Height: 5'4"

I just watched that video and can't wait to try it. Thinking about using tuna cans open at both ends for molds, and pouring in the batter for turkey burger buns. Or kipper cans for hot dog buns.
Wonder how it would be if dipped in egg and cream for french toast.

Mind swirls with bready thoughts........oh, dried for croutons.......
woodgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

this bread has really improved the quality of my eating! the last 2 days, I have sliced a piece in half and had a tbl of peanut butter on it twice each day and its a real treat...today, I added 1 tbl cool whip and it was like dessert!

I find that it gets too moist if I put it in the fridge in a baggie but I dont want it to spoil on the counter either so I put it in the fridge wrapped in a paper towel and it stays nice and dry that way. So far, I am still going down on the scales so 1/8th of the recipe a day isnt messing me up. Really happy that this recipe got posted!
valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 262/see bar/150

Height: 5"6

I also tried it. I think I spread it a bit too thin, but it is pretty fab. And it does feel like bread. Not a white bread, obviously, but still pretty good. And this coming from someone who normally hates the taste of whole wheat type breads.
mistypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #7  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I just made this recipe and added in rosemarry and italian seasoning and thyme and sage.. It was INCREDIBLE! It tastes exactly like foccacia bread! and its nice and thinly baked so you dont have to slice it for thickness.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

OK, I'm making this tonight. I have all the ingredients and have been feeling guilty about not using up my flax meal. But does it count as a carb for Phase 2 purposes?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Made this tonight, sprinkled with coarse sea salt, rosemary, and thyme. Very yummy and dangerous, I will have to be careful!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 136/126/123

Height: 5'2"

Hi I made the bread to accompany my dinner tonight. From other postings I decided to add a seasoned salt on top b4 baking (Simply tasteful seaoned salt). It was actually really good. My mil who is on WW like it too. Recipe is a keeper. This is what I love about this site - out of the box thinking!
srego909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/164/150

Height: 5'11"

I miss bread so much that I jumped up and down when I found this recipe. I made it this afternoon and added some fresh rosemary. It is heavenly! Thanks for sharing this. Now I'm going to experiment on making other baked goods with flax seed meal.
Alice E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #12  

Does this bread travel well? And any advice on how to store it?

My DH works doing HVAC and usually eats his lunch in his van while driving to and from jobs. He never enjoyed lettuce wraps as they would get soggy and limp during the day. If I could use these to make sandwiches and have them hold up and not get soggy then that would be very helpful.
carmey012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I made this tonight and, although I think it could use some more seasoning, it's pretty good. I had to bake mine for 25 minutes and it still wasn't done enough for my tastes, so I turned the oven off and left it in there for another 5 or so.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote