Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305 / ticker / 175

Height: 5' 10"

Default Let me officially jump on the band wagon

I'm a new kid on the block... tried to start posting a little bit, but realized that I haven't officially jumped in with my big "hello" yet. So this is me, jumping in with both feet.

Hi. I'm Sabrina, and I'm fat. The stats on the side tell you my starting weight but don't tell you that this weight is 40 pounds heavier than my previous starting weight... last year... when I first started blogging/posting. Obviously I'm great at sticking to things, huh? Well this time it's different, and I'm doing this. And I'm 33 days into it and I'm down 16 pounds and 7.5 inches overall so far.

Forgive me for the long winded post - you will soon find out that is something I do a lot - I deflect my depression and horror at my own situation with humor. I hope, though, that you can identify with it, and it brings a smile to your face nonetheless.

Tell me if this sounds familiar:
  1. Your jeans have to be replaced because you've worn holes in the crotch/thigh areas.
  2. You use your butt for a hand rest.
  3. It looks plenty big enough on the rack... but it won't come up past your thighs.
  4. You're the only one who knows how to take your own picture. Everyone else takes pictures of you and you always look fat. So you've mastered the "head shot" because you look good from the chest up.
  5. You're not hungry, but it sounds good. So you eat it. Or.... you're full, but you're "almost" done so you finish it anyway. And the few bites left on your (DH/DS/DD/Insert anyone else)'s plate, too, because it would be wrong to waste the food.
  6. 2 liter bottles of soda disappear in an hour or less.
  7. You don't buy dessert. You just super size your meal and get a milkshake with that.
  8. You can't wear a skirt because of friction burn.
  9. You get sweat marks on your clothes where the fat creases are on your body.
  10. You get short of breath tying your shoes.
  11. You cross your legs like a guy because that's all you can do.
  12. You're frequently asked when you're "due."
  13. Your kids jiggle your belly for entertainment.
  14. You buy "long" shirts to cover your butt because you think it hides how big it is.
  15. Why is it that stores think if you are overweight, you can't have curves? My waist is smaller than my hips... so either pants always fit my hips and are too big on my waist, or they fit my waist but are too tight on my hips! The few places that have pants that fit me, price them at $50 minimum for one pair of pants! As if I can afford that?? Why should I be doomed to elastic waist pants for the rest of my life?
  16. Why, if obesity is at epidemic proportions in this country, do they make it unaffordable to eat healthy? Am I the only one who notices that healthy food seems to cost at least 2 - 3 times more than unhealthy, over-preserved crap?
  17. Why can't they make the "good" stuff taste better? Y'know, people can take pictures on their phones and get driving directions from their car, but they can't seem to come up with a "healthy" meal that doesn't taste like packing peanuts.
  18. Is there a written law somewhere that all plus size swimming suits must have orange and magenta flowers on them?
  19. Why, when they design clothing for plus size women, do they not take into consideration the need for more fabric in the front to make up for that material that is lifting up over your waistline because you also have large breasts.
  20. Why do thin people assume that because you are fat, that you got that way by sitting on your butt eating chips and bon bons? Personally, the only time I am able to sit is when I check e-mail or drive somewhere, I don't like potato chips and I need to look bon bons up in the dictionary because I don't know what they are, much less have eaten one.

So.. random thoughts. Anyway... I wanted to get them out there, because they're all problems I have.

My plan was to get off my butt and get moving. I've done that. I recently bought some workout clothes. And I've already got some DVD's (Walk Away the Pounds, Biggest Loser, Beginners Yoga) that I was using last time I started my journey. Let's hope they do me better this time around.

The fact is, I never had illusions of being a skinny girl. I don't want to be one of those petite, size 2, flat stomach, bikini babes. Okay, that's a lie. I WOULD like to be one. But I know I never will be. I'm a big girl. I'm tall. My LEG is a size 2.

What I need to be is healthy. Healthy enough that I can play with my kids until THEY get tired, not me. Healthy enough that I can enjoy activities instead of looking for the next spot to sit down and take a break. Healthy enough to not be the "fat" friend that people pity. Healthy enough that my "health meter" says "ideal weight" instead of "severely obese."

Exercise is easy for me. Don't get me wrong. I think Bob Harper wants to kill me. But the act of exercise being added to my routine isn't difficult for me. My huge issue is that I don't know how to cook. I burn water. So cooking healthy foods is hard. Knowing what to buy... and how to prepare it. I just don't know that stuff.

Did I mention my husband is 6'1" and 140 pounds? Yeah... so it's not like we can diet together or anything....

One day at a time, though, right? Right.

Okay, I'll shut up now... if you're still with me, thanks for reading.
sabrinalecompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #2  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

I felt like that when I got to my high weight too. I would definitely look into steaming veggies. Try taking a cooking class? It's not hard to put things together once you get the basics down and know when things are fully cooked. I would start with small things like chicken, it's the easiest thing you will ever cook. Good luck! If you want any cooking advice I can help. ^_^

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #3  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Welcome a nd good luck with your goals!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #4  
Amanda Swan

S/C/G: 231/220/160

Height: 5'6

Hi Sabrina welcome to the site annnnddd back to the journey we're all on. haha, your post was so true though.. in so many ways. Well good luck, and im sure with the support of the site you wont loss track of your goal

amandaswan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 306/291/healthy

Height: 5 ft. 4 in.

Hi, Sabrina!

I am a newbie too and just gotta say, bravo for your intro...been struggling with a starting point on mine! Love your sense of humor! Good Luck!

Oh, about the cooking, i love to cook so i will help you out anytime! Have you tried Cooking Light magazine? I love it! the food is always great, and they have articles that focus on a specific technique or skill each month....it has taught me a lot in the kitchen! I also love the Taste of Home Healthy cooking mag, the food is a bit more "comfort food" in nature...but always lots of great ideas!

Keep up the good work!

Becky

Last edited by DvineRbcc; 02-02-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
DvineRbcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Hello Sabrina, welcome and good luck! a few thoughts I had while reading your list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinalecompte View Post
[*]Why, if obesity is at epidemic proportions in this country, do they make it unaffordable to eat healthy? Am I the only one who notices that healthy food seems to cost at least 2 - 3 times more than unhealthy, over-preserved crap?
I think you have the cause and effect backwards on this one. The fact that processed, carb-loaded, fatty food is cheaper than whole food is a major cause of the obesity epidemic.

Quote:
[*]Why can't they make the "good" stuff taste better? Y'know, people can take pictures on their phones and get driving directions from their car, but they can't seem to come up with a "healthy" meal that doesn't taste like packing peanuts.
Fortunately, this doesn't have to be the case. My healthy food tastes awesome - I wouldn't have it any other way - and a lot of other people on this board will tell you the same. You just have to expand your repertoire, discover wonderful new (to you) foods and flavorings, learn other ways to add flavor to your meals besides slathering them in butter or drowning them in melted cheese.

I use a lot of ginger, garlic, scallions, onions, chili peppers, coriander, cumin, garam masala, and good old salt & pepper to season my food. I choose fresh ingredients that are delicious and flavorful on their own so they don't need a lot of extraneous stuff added to them. One of my favorite things is just to roast vegetables - string beans or cauliflower are my favorites right now - at high temperature with a very small amount of oil (1 tbs. for a pound of veggies). Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and the result is a very tasty and healthy component to bulk up my meals and keep me satisfied for a long time.

There was just a thread on this very topic earlier today - have a look:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...hy-boring.html
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278.8/278.8/175

Height: 5'6

HI Sabrina,

Great Post!! I can totally relate to many of the items listed.
Best of Luck to you!
Leec37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 318/300/190

Height: 5'11

Heya and welcome!! I'm not new to 3fc, but I am new to being active in the community! We have similar stats, and I can relate to most everything you shared. Especially the part about never being a size 2. I'm tall, I'm thick, I'm sturdy, I'll never be a stick, but I would love to be healthy!! Good luck on your journey, look forward to hearing more from you!
JourneytoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #9  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Hi Sabrina -- I'm a returner too, doing better this time around. My last 'start' here was in 2007.

Quote:
Is there a written law somewhere that all plus size swimming suits must have orange and magenta flowers on them?
Yes, I can sympathize (and can relate to a lot of items on your list), the choices are limited. I'm hard pressed to find anything that's not black or dark brown in a bathing suit in plus sizes. I'm not sure why, it's not as if a black bathing suit could possibly hide the 'surplus' on my body.

I love cooking so my best advice to you for making it easy is to maybe do a lot of stuff in the slow cooker or on the BBQ...you can cook all your proteins in one of these two ways and they are both fairly easy. If you're worried about burning stuff on the BBQ then leave the grilling to your DH. For veggies just steam them in those ziploc steam bags in the microwave or eat them raw or just throw together lettuce, tomato and cucumber for a quick salad. If your kids are like my DS they probably prefer raw veggies anyway.

Since you're not a big fan of cooking you might like to get a lot of it over with at one time; I sometimes do a big roast in the slow cooker on Sunday - the leftovers will make great lunches through the week, and while that's on I'll also grill some chicken breasts that can be sliced up and added to salads or pasta or whatever through the week.

If you like more chatter and daily weighing check out the daily weighing thread for February. You'll find lots of support, tips and ideas there, and really on this whole site.

Last edited by Angie; 02-02-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #10  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

Hello and WELCOME back !!! You will need to decide what kind of plan you believe will work for you. I like to count calories. I use whole grains , fish, chicken, turkey, lots of veggies , sugar free desserts, and plenty of water, ff milk etc. Just try to think healthy as much as possible. If you mess up, don't give up ! We all mess up sometime. Don't be to hard on yourself. Good Luck ! Everything you need to know you will find it right here !!!!
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/257/160

Height: 5'6"

Good luck. I loved your post. I can totally relate especially about the inside of your pants getting holes in them. You can do it! One day at a time and one meal at a time!
brenbray06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #12  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Great post, but I love this suit, this site has some nice ones:

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/produ...-Swimsuit#back
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #13  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I love your sense of humour!!! And can relate to a lot of the things you said! I'm like you about the cooking thing. Except that I CAN cook, I just hate to do it, to me it's a chore but I still do it everyday because one must, y'know. I lived alone when I first started my journey and even though you have a husband and kids, you might have to feed yourself like you're living alone many times if they don't want to join in. Easy things you can do are steam bagged frozen veggies (prepped in the microwave), but so they don't taste like "health" (because I agree I find the taste of "health" kind of gross even though you do get used to it... I actually don't mind broccoli anymore, though I'll never like zucchini, I don't think), mask the taste in seasoning, you can use ginger, hot sauce (I loved the Vietnamese Sriracha type but any kind you like is fine), lite soy sauce, black pepper, whatever spice mix or sauce you like with it (just remember to measure stuff out so you know how much you're using. Things like pasta are also pretty fool-proof if you stick around and don't forget all about them (usually only takes about 10minutes in boiling/bubbling water) and then you empty the water out and can add in some already cooked frozen shrimp and a can of diced tomato (del monte's fire roasted with peppers kind makes it simple), add in some salt and pepper (add only a little, you can always add more later if while you're eating it, u think it needed) and by the time the shrimp is de-frosted and hot/warm (I.e. Ready to eat since it comes precooked), your meal is ready. Remember to measure out an appropriate serving size though.

Also I know many people on here eat whole or bust, but as far as I remember uncle bens had a really good range of plain rice in satchets that could be microwaved etc and used as meal aids. I guess what I'm saying is use meal aids if you need to. There are all sorts of sauce helpers, jarred curries and sauces etc, that aren't junk an aren't necessarily that high caloric or that awful, but can really help you if you don't feel quite iron chef ready. And it's perfectly fine. I think calorie counting may be the best bet for you for now, while you figure the cooking thing out. You've done sooooo awesome already though! 16lbs in 1 month???? Shut The Front Door!!! Well Done!!!

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 02-03-2011 at 05:36 AM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #14  
Devilish Little Thing

S/C/G: 246/ticker/145

Height: 5ft5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinalecompte View Post
[*]You're the only one who knows how to take your own picture. Everyone else takes pictures of you and you always look fat. So you've mastered the "head shot" because you look good from the chest up.
Haha! Yes! Every pic on my facebook! If you dont know me personally, Im sure you would thing I was a big giant floating head!

Quote:
[*]Why is it that stores think if you are overweight, you can't have curves? My waist is smaller than my hips... so either pants always fit my hips and are too big on my waist, or they fit my waist but are too tight on my hips! The few places that have pants that fit me, price them at $50 minimum for one pair of pants! As if I can afford that?? Why should I be doomed to elastic waist pants for the rest of my life?
Funny! It it must be perception, because my waist and hips are almost the same size so to ME it seems that all jeans are made for people like you, with smaller waist and flared hips. Maybe we need to swap stores we shop

Quote:
[*]Why, if obesity is at epidemic proportions in this country, do they make it unaffordable to eat healthy? Am I the only one who notices that healthy food seems to cost at least 2 - 3 times more than unhealthy, over-preserved crap?
You know, I used to believe this until I discovered places like Sprouts... I can go in there and buy a TON of verggies and unprocessed items from their bulk isles and save sooo much money! I havent shopped at walmart in YEARS!

Quote:
[*]Why, when they design clothing for plus size women, do they not take into consideration the need for more fabric in the front to make up for that material that is lifting up over your waistline because you also have large breasts.
Yes! Yes! One thousand times yes!

Great post! I think you have said so many things that we all stew about
willowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Hi Sabrina! I can sympathize - back in May, I thought the exact same thing...I just wanted to be able to PLAY with my kids! And now, I can!! Yesterday I was RUNNING around my house with them, and chasing them on all fours, something I never would have done almost 100lbs ago. And all it took for me was eating less, eating more fresh vegetables, and moving my body. Good luck to you!
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote