Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #1  
Ninja loss

Height: 5'3 (161cms)

Default Great way to exercise if you have hip probs?

hi guys, i posted this in the exercise forum but i thought i'd post it here as well because as all of us here need to lose 100lbs some of you may understand where i'm coming from with hip problems!

what do you recommend a person with hip problems should do for exercise? i haven't been officially diagonosed but at 28 )last year my xrays showed serious degenerative bone disease in the hips.. i know.. so young.. i'm going to see my dr on tuesday.. i thought crosstrainer was okay..but mine has been making the pain worse..

any advice??
Catcuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

My best advice is to wait until you talk to your doctor. I would think that losing weight will help your hips. I know it helped mine. I did not have my hips xrayed, but they hurt me a great deal when I was right at 300 pounds. I walked at first but just in 10 minute increments because my knees and hips hurt when I walked. The doctor told me that if the pain went away when I stopped walking, I was not doing any damage. As time went by and I lost more weight, I increased my walking times.

You can lose weight without exercise. Cutting back on your calories is more important. Let us know what the doctor says.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #3  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

Water aerobics are key! It soothes the body while using resistance and is very easy for most problems. If anything I would try that, and hot tubs are really awesome to do exercises in.

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I second the water aerobics!! You work to your own level of energy, fitness, and mobility. The water offers buoyancy and resistence. You use your muscles without jarring your joints. My gym offers 4-5 classes a day and I know they also have it at our local aquatics center (in the summer) and the local YMCA.

I am a long time fan and frequent user. I have taken 10 inches off my waist and 8 inches off my chest and hips, lost 60+ lbs since 3/1/10 with Weight Watchers online and water aerobics. I have never felt any of the aches and pains usually felt with land-based aerobics. There are a lot of people in my classes that have various joint damages and/or surgical joint repairs. I have herniated discs up and down my spine and knee problems.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I totally forgot about chair aerobics. I had a dvd that I used after surgery. Water aerobics are great but you can do chair aerobics from home. There are examples on youtube if you want to check them out.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305 / ticker / 175

Height: 5' 10"

My dad has severe problems with his hips and knees from an injury about 12 years ago. His doctor had a hard time finding something for him to do that wouldn't cause him severe pain after only a few minutes.. but finally, he found that even just walking in the pool didn't hurt the way everything else did. He literally bought himself an above ground pool (it's about 4 1/2 foot deep) and when he can't go to the gym and use their pool, he walks laps in his own pool for like 2 hours at a time and it doesn't cause him pain, but gives him a great workout.
sabrinalecompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #7  
Ninja loss

Height: 5'3 (161cms)

hi guys thanks for the input. Yep i have tried aquaaerobics and loved it! unfortunately i have moved and my town doesn't offer teh service. they did say there are going to try get onto it though.
Catcuffling is offline   Reply With Quote