Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #1  
ONe day at a time

S/C/G: 143/136/120

Height: 5'1"

Post I love to eat! So there...I said it. :)

Hi, I'm Julie. 47 yrs old from Alabama

I never had to worry about my weight when I was younger. I just assumed I'd be thin all my life. Right! My 40's came along, and slowly but surely the scales started telling the truth...I DO have to worry about my weight. Yikes! HOw do I do this diet thing? I've never had to diet before in my life! Until the 40's.
Now here I am, 47, 5'1, weighing in at 143. I'm too short for my weight. I'm uncomfortable in everything I wear and everything I do. Time for a drastic change. I'd like to lose 20 lbs by June for my son's wedding. 120 is a great weight for me. I've accepted the fact that I won't be 115 again like I was in school, but I believe I can do 120. I've just got to motivate myself, and I always struggle with will power. I have NONE.
I love to eat. So there, I said it. But this putting on 5-10 lbs every year has got to stop. This is as good a time as any to start.
I'm starting the Atkins diet today, and we'll see how I do with the induction phase. I won't like it..not a bit for the first few days, but hopefully when the lbs start coming off (even if it is water weight) I'll be motivated enough to stick with it until I get to my goal weight and change my bad eating habits for good. Wish me luck!!
MrsMerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #2  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Hi Julie!

The great thing about weight loss is you really don't have to starve yourself! You can just fall in love with new foods and you'll find that there are tasty things that are actually difficult to eat a lot of because they are full of fiber and not calorie dense.

The community is great here, really supportive. I hope you meet your goals and remember... Even if it seems like nothing is happening as long as you stick with your plan, you'll soon see results.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Since you don't have much to lose I'd suggest calorie counting (I'd probably eat 1200 calories a day if I were in your shoes), I'd cut out all drinks except for water and coffee or tea (straight coffee not the sugary drinks). I'd fill my days with lean protein and veggies, only complex carbs (but limit these), and some fruit. I'd also work out half an hour a few times a week- some form of cardio

Good luck with your goals!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #4  
ONe day at a time

Thanks for the encouragement, Madam...I'm going to rely heavily on yours and everyone else's to keep me motivated and accountable.
Beerab thanks for the advice. I already committed to Atkins for initial weight loss, but that may or may not work for me. You know us new dieters...we want results NOW! lol I'm going to give this a try, and if I find that I feel too badly or the results arent what I hoped for, I'll try the calorie counting.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Julie and welcome to the group! Very nice bunch of ladies here! Did you see that there are also groups for specific eating plans? And I think that most of them have recipe areas, too, so if you need help figuring out what to eat...someone around here or there will know. And an exercise area and a food section. Great place, this!

Barb

Last edited by angelskeep; 01-25-2011 at 08:55 PM.
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #6  
ONe day at a time

Thanks, everyone...I have to admit this website isnt the easiest for me to navigate. So Barb if you could point me in the direction of the specific eating plans I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged-176/

If you go to the main forum page by clicking on the top where it says "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community" then you can see all the different subforums- the vegetable one is at the bottom.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

MrsMerch,
My problem is much like yours...was the skinny girl (albeit curvy) most of my life.....but with age comes loss of muscle and lower metabolism.....That doesn't mean you can't lose weight or reach your goals. I am also doing Atkins, it is the only thing that works for me.....although I have had to modify it a big since I work out alot.

You can do this!!
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #9  
ONe day at a time

I have to confess to all of you. I suck. I am completely horrible and gross. Everyday I come up with another excuse as to why I don't stick to my diet. EVeryday I begin again....and again....and again. I'm going to try something new and share with all of you my food diary. Maybe if I shame myself into letting you all see what I eat every day, I'll be so ashamed that I'll actually stick to my diet for more than one day. I'm so disappointed in myself.

So here's what I've had so far today: special K bar for breakfast, 1/2 cup of diet mt dew (for the caffiene addition) Lunch: salad with ground beef, cheese, crushed up tortilla chips. Probably about 2 cups. Water consuption: 32 oz
Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #10  
ONe day at a time

Welcome, Kate. Sighs...what are we going to do with ourselves?? I'm totally disgusted with myself. It's pretty bad when you outgrow scrubs. Who does that?? I'm to the point that if I dont lose weight I'm going to have to get a larger scrub size. I refuse!! I actually went to the gym both days this week, so far 2 days in a row is a records for me. We've got a walking track close to my office, so on days that weather is permitting, I'm going to use part of my lunch hour to walk. We CAN do this...we just have to be more disciplined than we have been in the past. Good luck to us both!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #11  
Amanda Swan

S/C/G: 231/220/160

Height: 5'6

Goodluck Ive noticed how helpful this forum is in just a few short days.. Everytime I get on my computer I sign on here, and its like I have to face it.. and it reminds me of what its all for. Seeing everyones weight loss goals, and success makes me realize just how bad, I myself want a success story. Im sure you will do wonderul and loss the weight before the wedding so good luck, and hopefully congrats in advance!
amandaswan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #12  
MinnesotaMama

S/C/G: 200/187/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Hello!

Hi, Julie! I'm new to 3FCD and this looks like a great place to jump in. I too never had to worry about weight. My nickname as a child was "Miss Piggy" because I could eat anything I wanted and never gain a pound. At 27 I weighed 125 lbs. Then, 15 years, 2 kids, and a successful quit smoking campaign later, I found myself in my 40s and 75 pounds heavier! Time to face reality. I joined the YMCA and started watching my diet last summer and was able to drop 20 lbs. I then stopped my Y membership due to finances and have put back on 7 lbs. Still a net deficit, so I'm happy about that. Now, with the new year having just started, I find myself motivated again! I want to lose 47 lbs and get down to 140. I have the ability physically, I just need a little support. I need someone to be accountable to, to know that "someone" is watching so I don't cheat I hope this is the place and we can encourage each other.

I just did Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred yesterday and today and-whoooo am I sore - having trouble going up and down stairs! I also started running last fall but had to stop for a few months due to shin splints and work with a physical therapist, so I back to doing that on a treadmill three days a week (1-1/2 miles, 1 mile and 2-1/4 miles currently M-W-F).

So, I am hoping this is the beginning of some great relationships and successes!
MinnesotaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #13  

Love food too....that's the problem
willydowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #14  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

MrsMerch- Hey darlin to 3FC!
I just saw your thread and I can totally relate! I love love LOVE food.
I did want to add one tiny bit of advice that I hope will help motivate you ...
Wedding Album Photos

My son also was a June groom (2008). I weighed roughly around 255-260 then. There were so many photos taken. The rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, decorating the church (in tight clothes reaching and bending), pre- wedding activities, the wedding party and the videos
Now for the good news... you only need to lose a small amount of weight. You can do this!
Be sure to drink lots of water, eat very healthy meals, fruits, veggies, fish, chicken, eggs, skim milk, etc.
Keep a journal too- with the date, your weight, and measurements. It is really a great feeling watching those numbers come down.
You will feel and look wonderful. Your skin will glow and hair will shine from all the good nutrition and water.
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 149/144/125

Oh yeah, food....

I rejoined 3fc a number of weeks ago, and my goal was to get back to working out regularly. I've done pretty well on the treadmill - 3.5 or 4 miles as many times a week as possible.

But not one pound gone. Why you ask? Because I just kept eating! Leftover Christmas treats, regular evening glasses of wine, crackers and cheese - I'm sure you all get it.

I've heard that weight loss is about 80% food, 20% exercise. I'm going to try to remember that, and try to keep to 1100-1200 daily calories. But that scares me! I think I fear feeling hungry and deprived. Or somehow I feel "entitled" to treat myself. And there are so many tasty things out there...

Anyway, coming here does help, and it feels good not to be alone!
thistimeforreal is offline   Reply With Quote